Bailey ranger 470/4 advise needed

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
We have had one for 3 years and we are now trading it in for a Pageant s7 Bretagne.

Other than the usual things, be aware that the dinette bunks are quite short compared to normal beds.

It was our first van and it has not put us off!!!

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello Mark,

We brought a bailey ranger S5 in 2007 in november, it was an ex demonstrator. We brought it because we were first time buyers and we liked the lay-out of it. The main reason we brought it was because of the large washroom at the back but also because as you go in the door you have the sink there on the right hand side, instead of having the cooker and hob there which is better if you have children under 6 as they can only end up putting coats in a sink of water and not onto a hot gas ring.

We tow it with a subaru legacy estate(2lt) and it pulls it ok, will pull at 60 mph on motorways quite happily.

Have had no problems with it

except its having a new front window put onto it because it started cracking down at top of window but that is being done under warrenty, also just gone in for first service.

Gary

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Gary

Am looking at 3 vans 1 is the above and the other 2 are Discovery 100 and 200, all light vans due to the fact i used to go tenting and my tow car is a new Focus tdci so weight is a problem. At the moment we have a Lunar Chateau 400 which i want to update. My problem is locating one of the above tried my local dealers but cant find any regards mark

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Mark

stay away a the momment from caravan with ABS front and rear panels trouble with cracking just look at reports on this forum its puts you right off purchasing a new caravan.

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Stephen

thanks for your reply about panals but what do you do, to upgrade van seems all vans are going that way. I have read the comments on here but its the same 3 people surly it should be a recall.Mark

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Discoverys are very rare vans owing to the fact that new there was very little price difference between Discoveries and Rangers and the speck difference was quite large.

I agree that 470s are quite rare in the Ranger 5 range for some reason.

We had similar weight issues when he got our van about 3 years ago and in our mind nothing came close to the 470/4.

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Stephen

thanks for your reply about panals but what do you do, to upgrade van seems all vans are going that way. I have read the comments on here but its the same 3 people surly it should be a recall.Mark
Thompson Plastics in Hull have gone into receivership, they made Baileys' front and rear panels along with lots of shower/washroom mouldings used by many other manufacturers. I know that the Conway Crusader we had used a Thompson washroom. Fleetwood now similarly defunct had their front and rear panels made there also. Quite disturbing news.

Dave.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Thompson Plastics in Hull have gone into receivership, they made Baileys' front and rear panels along with lots of shower/washroom mouldings used by many other manufacturers. I know that the Conway Crusader we had used a Thompson washroom. Fleetwood now similarly defunct had their front and rear panels made there also. Quite disturbing news.

Dave.
Dave

Thompson Plastics in Hull have gone into receivership, they made Baileys' front and rear panels along with lots of shower/washroom mouldings used by many other manufacturers. Quite disturbing news.

As I posted on here a few weeks back I was talking to a chap in the caravan industry and he told me the big boys in the caravan game are thinking of going back to GRP front and back panels because these ABS panels are causing so many problems.

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
hi thanks for your replys

am looking at getting a discover 100 for weight reasons but you are right very hard to find any ideas where to look tried most dealers without no joy regards mark

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site

am looking at getting a discover 100 for weight reasons but you are right very hard to find any ideas where to look tried most dealers without no joy regards mark

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site

Discovery Baileys were not very popular - down to the fact that if you added certain items you with a Ranger. However the Disco's were light and its a case of checking the dealers for one. Last one I saw was at Campbells Kirkham branch but that will have gone. Excellent Bailey dealers are Bardsea Leisure - they usually have a good selection of used Baileys.

Andy

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mark,

We have have a Bailey Ranger 470/4 (2005 model) and we love it!

We looked at the Discovery and Ranger models due to the weight limitations of our car. As Zafiral mentioned, there is very little difference in price and weight of both models but extras in the Ranger made the choice a No-Brainer.

We have had no problems with our 470/4 and with an unladen weight of just 972kg and 1190kg mtplm makes it an easy tow for our Picasso.

Cheers

Andrew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are on our second Ranger 500/5 Series 5. Fair enough not quite the model you are considering but as far as Bailey are concerned their vans are excellent value for money. Our first van was trouble free, however the second van, our present van, has had a few teething problems - we have had new water pipes as the original were contaminated and the water tasted foul (not a Bailey fault but the suppliers of the pipe to Bailey). Secondly the windows have cracked in the top corners again a manufacturing fault of the window not of Bailey's making and thirdly the fridge packed in. All work has been successfully carried out under warrenty without a quible from Bailey. They have been very good with the warrenty issues. I would certainly buy another Bailey without hesitation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts