Bailey Sancerre

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Rather liked the look of the Sancerre in the latest PC. Anyone got one, seen one in the flesh?

mel

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
I have seen the Sancere and also had a good look around it.I found it a very nice van very similar to the Senator California there must be other differences but the only thing I could visibly see was the Sancere had less interior lighting and no television and was about

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We looked at both the Sancerre and California at our dealers before deciding on the California. Think the woodwork in the Sancerre would be a either love or hate decision, personally I didn't like it. IMHO it looked rather like the old cheap furniture finish from the 70's.

Jan

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
We looked at both the Sancerre and California at our dealers before deciding on the California. Think the woodwork in the Sancerre would be a either love or hate decision, personally I didn't like it. IMHO it looked rather like the old cheap furniture finish from the 70's.

Jan
Oh how you justify spending

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks folks. We are not changing our van just yet, but I will have a look at both next time we are at a show.

mel

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

There is a new Swift version of this layout arriving soon too. The Charisma 550 weighs less than 1500kg and we understand that there is one on display at Wandahome in South Cave. Anyone local seen it yet? Alyson from the mag is heading up there on Thursday to have a look.

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

www.twitter.com/pcaravan

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
I had a good look at the Sancerre and California at Lowdham a few weeks ago. I knew the Californis had become an instant best seller so assumed that the Sancerre as a cheaper lighter version but still well spec'd with ATC as standard etc would be flying off the shelves. The salesman said no though.

I think a lot of it is down to the styling - the woodwork is quite overpowering and dark and grainy - its quite fashionable at the minute in work tops but you wouldn't go floor to ceiling with it and in the bedroom in particular there just seems to be loads of it.

I think the Charisma's are better styled and the Europa's even more so with lighter woods so I think the new 550 will do better - I wouldn't be surprised if people are waiting for these models before deciding which to go with.

I wanted to see the Sancerre because we like an end washroom and thought this might be a way of getting us on to a fixed bed but I have to say I've walked away from the layout - maybe when the little one has flown the nest - we like our big lounge side dinette / rear washroom layout (Currently Ranger 510/4). Flopping on the couches at night is a key part of my caravanning experience.

The Pageant Limousin would be better but too big for us to store etc so when upgrading we will go for either a Pageant Champagne or Europa 520 or a special edition SWIFT 560.

Hopefully by the time we change Bailey will have addressed the wood finish in the Pageants which must be loosing them customers - shame because they are really well spec'd vans - wider and with ATC over the Swifts i've not seen many at all on the roads yet and nearly every van you see is an older pageant.

Mat

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
William

As a minor point, as well as the TV, the Senator also includes on board water, an alco secure lock, high security door an alarm and a tracker device so a bit more than a few spotlights don't you think....

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
William

As a minor point, as well as the TV, the Senator also includes on board water, an alco secure lock, high security door an alarm and a tracker device so a bit more than a few spotlights don't you think....
Hi, I was joking, as it happens I also think the wood finish in the van in question is dreadful!

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
William

I hope I can live with the Pageant woodwork as we have just got a S7!!! Our funds did not reach to a Senator (and the 6 birth was a T/A so untowable by our car) and we were able to get a brand new 08 Pageant for less than a GT60 540/6 and that was before you add in the price of the ATC to the Ranger.

I also hope it does not polarise other people too much as I am going to be selling it in a few years time....... This many anti comments so early on is a little worrying.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I don't like the way Bailey are going with interior decor. When we were looking to buy back in December I had been most interested in either a Series 6 Ranger GT60 510/4 or a Pageant. However the dealer had some Ranger series 5 vans also still in stock and both the wife and I much preferred the colour of the woodwork and the general feeling of greater brightness and airiness in the Series 5 Ranger over the series 6 GT60 or any of the Series 7 Pageants. Sure the spec is in some ways lower (Series 5 Ranger actually has better lighting than the Series 6 GT60) but nothing important (to us) is left out. The S7 Pageants are much to dark inside for our taste and the S6 GT60 is beige, beige wood (pine) and beige seats - unserviceable and yuk.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

Had a look at the Bailey Pageant S7 Sancerre at Michael Jordon Caravans. I would agree with what Paul and Hilary Harris said it does feel very dark. At night would be gloomy with just LED Lighting. I did like the layout if Bailey had put the same colour

wood as in my 2008 460/4 it would be great.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi.

I love the layout of both these units and I have no problems towing either or storage, but as many have already said the dark wood in the Sancerre is far too dark making it look small inside. The California colour is great, but there are too many things it has that I would not require e,g T.V ( I have a great 17" LCD with DVD and Digi built in)I don't need 30 ltr fresh water tank (I have 2 aqua rolls). All the Al-ko bits I agree are great, but there are others as said I don't need.

I currently have a S6 Burgendy and I just love the light, open feel to the van.

I for one will at this time not consider the S7 Sancerre because of the dark wood finish.

I know that bailey are trying to please every one and they are trying very hard and well done! but I won't be changing just yet.

Another thing while I'm having a winge, where has the 12v connection gone. I run my T.V and Sat box on 12v when on CLs and when I need to plug in my air pump to inflate my tyres before leaving if they require it I currently plug straight into the 2 pin 12v plug by the sideboard. I know I could go to the battery direct rather than running a short lead out of the door to the N/S wheel and through the kitchen window to the O/S wheel. Maybe Bailey are trying to get us fit with a bit of running about.

Any way I love my S6 and maybe Bailey might take a hindsight look at what Caravanners want? I know that they have cut production costs by there modern manufacturing methods, use of common platforms, most van's being fitted with one type of loo etc and recycling where ever possible,which I applaud wholeheartly, but I can't see them offering two types of interior finish apart from the upholstery which they currently offer.

I hope Bailey see many comments as objective and not subjective as I moved to the brand 2 years ago and to date have never regretted it.

Rob

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
thanks for all the replies. Perhaps Bailey will take the feedback and make the Sancerre a brighter by the time we are swapping vans.Thanks again

mel

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
The LED lighting really is very good and a lot brighter when it get dark than you would think seeing them lit up in daylight.

Perhaps mine being a 6 birth with a bigger front lounge gets away with the darker wood. However compared to the GT60 it looks so much more interesting.

Our last caravan was a Ranger S5 and I agree the wood in that was better (there was even real wood locker frames), but the std upholstery in a Pageant S7 (I actually prefer the std to the Savoy upgrade) is really nice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
there good value for money but they remind me of my nans council house kitchen cupboards, sorry. i think the discovery and the gt has better wood.

jo
Jo-anne

I could not agree more, the dark interior of the S7 is doing it no favours!

Come on Simon!

Look at the market, many are going dark finish and there van's are dark and gloomy, they are not as they think up market having a trim so out of date that Queen Victoria might have turned her nose up at it.What we need is a very welcoming interior, that is easy on the eye as well as the soul and heart.

The interior of the GT60,Senator and the ealier S6 were by far the best.

Y.S and Y.F

Rob

P.S

Saw the Lunar equivilant to-day, some good points but the cabinets are so slim, you would waste so much room putting everything side on it was not worth it.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Your right Dan&Paula but the reality is Bailey are a mass market manufacturer - they are not after a niche customers or the marmite effect - they need to have a universal appeal to sell units.

What on the face of it are simple decisions - should we have a plain birch veneer finish or some heavy grained dark brown jungle wood veneer, should we have big handles or little knobs(ooh er) or no handles at all, should we have light carpets or dark carpets etc.

These have the potential to cost manufacturers dear.

My first impression of the s7 pageants is that on the outside they are the best looking vans around. To tow they must be best in class as they are good weights with shocks, ATC and stabiliser. but when you get it there you've got to live in it. The first impression of the living experience is really important and only Bailey and their dealers will know whether they have got their styling decisions right.

Maybe they could tell us?

I want to upgrade from a 2008 Ranger to a Pageant in the next year or so but put off by the styling (and the fact that my last 2 Bailey's have both leaked)

Mat

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mel

Saw Sancerre at NEC, loved it so much ordered it there and then - bit brash never purchased new van before but it was just what we wanted, picking it up on 24th can't wait!!! will give you an update once back from first weeekend...

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi Di - good luck with your new van, our's is being built the first week in May so probably won't get it till towards the end of the month as our sat dish and mover have to be moved across.

We think Bailey have done a really good job with the design of this layout - for the first time for many years we have bought a bailey rather than swift stable van, mainly because of the interior decor (hated it in the sterling) plus weight and length. Bailey's is a much better design IMHO - bathroom not too big but big enough to use, storage really well designed plus they come with ATC - that was the deciding factor.

Enjoy your new van

Jan

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
MandM

As the Pageant and Senator are physically very similar (The California and Sancerre especially) then Bailey can afford to be a bit more risky, also as the Senator is a couple of grand more than a Pageant, they have to differentiate them.

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Di - good luck with your new van, our's is being built the first week in May so probably won't get it till towards the end of the month as our sat dish and mover have to be moved across.

We think Bailey have done a really good job with the design of this layout - for the first time for many years we have bought a bailey rather than swift stable van, mainly because of the interior decor (hated it in the sterling) plus weight and length. Bailey's is a much better design IMHO - bathroom not too big but big enough to use, storage really well designed plus they come with ATC - that was the deciding factor.

Enjoy your new van

Jan
Hi Jan

Hope your new van arrives soon, may be good idea to chase dealer as Bailey have changed production schedule to to high demand, we were given mid may originally and this has been brought forward by three weeks.

Only six more sleeps to pick up....

Di

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts