Bailey Senator Arizona, Cheeky Delers, is it me or them?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravan has now been returned from the Bailey factory after having a complete new water system fitted, three core white pipes, new taps and tanks, filters etc, and at long last the disgusting taste and smell have disappeared. Only to be replaced with shody workmanship, complete with dented tap, kitchen sink that is most definitely not from my caravan, as it is very badly scratched and stained and covered in black grease, greasy finger marks all over the cupboards, and so the saga continues, with the van having to be returned once more to the main stealer to have a new sink and tap fitted, that is when Bailey return to work after there 3 week summer holiday shut down and the required parts can be ordered. Would we buy another Bailey..............Don't make us laugh.

Allan & Gill.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh well almost back to square one, used it fully for the first time last week up in Northumbria (thanks to all who suggested ord house, excellent site & cant praise it enough) first morning in the washroom and the smell & taste were almost overpowering, into the kitchen for that essential first brew of the day and agrrhh undrinkable, filled the kettle direct from outside tap & perfect. Off we go to use the onboard shower, okay it works but not the kind of pressure you would expect from a large on board whale pump, on previous vans I have had better results from an external submersible pump, so back to the main stealer, and low and behold there helpfulness has been outstanding (yes I know it makes a change) they got straight back to Bailey who agreed there and then to have the van back and to try and rectify the problem again. And they are going to come and collect the van from my home, notify me when all the remedial work has been completed, and will invite me down to the factory and demonstrate that all is well with the water system, and they will also replace the kitchen sink, tap, and shower enclosure that they managed to damage on the first visit, so although I was disappointed with my Bailey product, I must say full credit to them for the way they are now trying to fix the problem, and apparently according to my supplying dealer they have had similar problems with swift vans and swift will not budge in there attitude in that the owner has contaminated the water systems through miss use, or dodgy water supply systems on sites. So well done Bailey, and hope that you cure the problem once and for all this time (fingers crossed) watch this space.

Allan & Gill.

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Allan & Gill

tried our water system at home (Wirral) - no problems, but all other places (inc Lake District, Bath, Devon, Cornwall, Hampshire - awful taste. If it persists, I will be in Bristol in November and will give Bailey a personal demo, complete with retained water samples from site tap and via onboard water system.

Hope we all get this sorted once and for all !

Ann & John

Apr 21, 2007
Visit site
swift will not budge in there attitude

this is so true about swift we are having major problems with our van and swift do not want to help or know of the problems.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
swift will not budge in there attitude

this is so true about swift we are having major problems with our van and swift do not want to help or know of the problems.
Jane visit http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/index.php?s=a81d5ab37009ddbf955c554352cbe82b&showforum=22 and contact Peter the Managing Director wo will probably help sort out your problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a thought, as Bailey want me to travel to there factory to collect my caravan after the remidial work has been completed so as they can demonstrate that all is well with the water system, taste, presure,etc, do you think it unresonable for me to ask them to cover my traveling expenses? as this would involve a 350 mile round trip, and after all the problem is of there making, so why should I be out of pocket,

Your thoughts......... Allan & Gill.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Allan & Gill,

Unfortunately you'll find that the vans warranty does not extend to "consequential loss" you'd have to sue the dealer for any out of pocket expenses and or damages.

Having said that, under the circumstances, in my humble opinion, it would not be unreasonable for you to approach Bailey and ask them to cover your travelling expenses, after all they did damamage your van on their previous attempts to cure the defects, the worst they will say is no!

If they are not prepared to cover your travelling expenses, try asking if they'll cover the next couple of years anuall services or extending your vans warranty by a couple of years, it's worth a try.

BTW, my Senator has to go in to get the water pipes changed under warranty, yeah mine has the TCP tasting water as well, just waiting for my dealer to contact me when they're in stock, but luckily for me my dealer is only 5 miles from where I store my van.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I suggest booking into a site nearby after the inspection and then trying out the water system again. We had endless problems and consequently do not drinki water from the taps although our caravan is used 24/7 365 days a year.

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Allan & Gill,

I had a similar problem with contamination of water, TCP taste, I tracked it down to using a green garden hose and not a blue food quality hose as in the aqua roll kits. The problem was sorted by a chance conversation with a neighbour who brews his own beer. A product called VWP cleaner steriliser was purchased from a home brew kit shop for

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
I have just had a telephone call from my caravan dealer regarding foul tasting water. Earlier this year he replaced the cold water pipes for us which as he guessed made only a slight improvement.

However, he is now getting new materials in from Baileys who say they have resolved the problem - it has been conclusively traced back to the materials the previous pipes were made from.

Therefore, he has now booked my caravan in to have all the hot and cold pipes replaced in about a months time when all the parts are available.

I cannot fault the service I have received from my dealer as, personally, I would have been prepared to put up with using separate containers for drinking water and could not be bothered to chase Bailey as he has done.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I wonder if the pipes for other caravans are sourced from the same manufacturer as numerous people have been complaining about this issue including us although we have a Lunar caravan.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Our water taste funny through the tap so we just use the water in system for washing/washingup/veg prep

We use water straight from a container filled at the tap for drinking and cooking

If better quality plastic pipes where used it might be better

Rita

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our 2007 Senator has been back to the Bailey factory and has had the latest 3 core pipes fitted to both hot & cold water supply, and new taps etc, it slightly improved the situation for a short while but it has once again returned. Bailey are now going to personally collect my caravan from my home address and try to sort the problem once again, and to also rectify the damage they caused on it's first visit(sink, tap, shower enclosure, all damaged whilst at factory!) and try to sort the poor shower pressure. The supplying dealer requested to Bailey that I could personally collect the caravan from their factory, so that they could demonstrate that all was well with the water system, and that no further damage has been caused, Bailey was more than happy to do this, but turned down my request to cover my travelling expenses (350 mile round trip) but are more than willing to deliver it back to my home address! So Monday morning will see me try and sort out some sort of compensation from the supplying dealer, if unsuccessful, it will be back on the phone to trading standards, who I might add without their help I would still be at stage 1, with all concerned denying that there was a problem. This is something I have never experienced in over 35years of caravanning. Yes I appreciate that different areas have a different taint to the water supply, but with our Bailey it makes little difference whether it be Europe, Lands End or John o Groats, it all tastes the same, a mixture of chloride and TCP, and I certainly have no intension of using different water containers for different purposes, we don't do it at home so why should we when we go away in the caravan, and do not forget the "green" implications for buying bottled water in non bio-degradable water containers.

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
Our 2007 Senator has been back to the Bailey factory and has had the latest 3 core pipes fitted to both hot & cold water supply, and new taps etc, it slightly improved the situation for a short while but it has once again returned. Bailey are now going to personally collect my caravan from my home address and try to sort the problem once again, and to also rectify the damage they caused on it's first visit(sink, tap, shower enclosure, all damaged whilst at factory!) and try to sort the poor shower pressure. The supplying dealer requested to Bailey that I could personally collect the caravan from their factory, so that they could demonstrate that all was well with the water system, and that no further damage has been caused, Bailey was more than happy to do this, but turned down my request to cover my travelling expenses (350 mile round trip) but are more than willing to deliver it back to my home address! So Monday morning will see me try and sort out some sort of compensation from the supplying dealer, if unsuccessful, it will be back on the phone to trading standards, who I might add without their help I would still be at stage 1, with all concerned denying that there was a problem. This is something I have never experienced in over 35years of caravanning. Yes I appreciate that different areas have a different taint to the water supply, but with our Bailey it makes little difference whether it be Europe, Lands End or John o Groats, it all tastes the same, a mixture of chloride and TCP, and I certainly have no intension of using different water containers for different purposes, we don't do it at home so why should we when we go away in the caravan, and do not forget the "green" implications for buying bottled water in non bio-degradable water containers.
Hi Allan and Gill

Why did your caravan have to go back to Bailey's I wonder? When I spoke to my dealer about this he said it would not be necessary to reuturn my Ranger 460/2 to the factory, although it could take 3 days as the job is a bit fiddly. However, from a practical point of view it is a simple job - perhaps your van is a bit more complex?

Last time he replaced the pipes they did a good job - no leaks etc so let's hope when the new materials come through in a few weeks they will do as well.

I hope you get your van sorted out soon and we shall all be getting decent water from our taps in the future

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello A & G,

Hot drinks vending machine manufacturers suffer this problem from time to time on brand new machines. I expect that they obtain their plastic pipework from the same scource as the caravan makers. One of the cures that their engineers employed used to be simply to use lemon juice in the system, let it soak for 30 minutes or so, then flush it out. (Nothing in it to harm you either.) Your would need to get a large bottle and dilute it only enough to make up enough to fill the system. If it does not work, I will be surprised, and you will only be a couple of quid out of pocket!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Catherine, why did my Senator have to go back to Baileys factory, most probably because I played hell up a tunnel and involved trading standards when I was getting nowhere with the supplying dealer, and I shall continue to stamp my feet until, the problems are resolved. I think it might have been a case of me leaning on the dealer, and in turn the dealer doing likewise with Bailey. I have no intensions of putting up with faulty goods. I hope you have better luck in resolving your problems than we have to date.

Allan & Gill.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts