Bailey Senator California

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi got my new California last week on first impressions it looked a very nice van ideal for 2 .This is my 3rd new Bailey the other 2 being both TA Wyomings.If you are a rallier who relies on 12volt the first thing you notice is the lack of 12volt outlets infact there arent any so if you want to plug in something 12volt hard luck.The next thing you notice is the finish were the wood has been cut insted of finishing off with a nice piece of trim to hide the cut marks no they are left on show and the nice wooden chopping board that was in the wyoming has been changed for something plastic it used to fit the sink bowl to make the work surface bigger we tried the plastic one which imeadiately fell into the bowl i think an accident is possible with this so wont be useing that any more .These items cost just a few pounds but would make a good van even better.Oh by the way my dealer offered to put a 12volt socket in for £60 but faced with a 100 mile round trip and a day off work to take it in i bought a reachargable power pack for £30 more stuff to lug around still roll on summer.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
can't comment on the 12V socket other than to say that my new ranger has one beside the TV socket. the plastic thing is not meant to cover the sink, it sits beside it and is used as a draining board. When not needed for this it frees up work surface as no fixed draining board is needed. A great idea. I concur that wood work finish is not great in the current Baileys.

SMS

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Billy

Maybe I am missing something here but why didn't you check for 12V socket before you purchased?

The wooden chopping board was replaced on Senators 6's because there was a problem with them warping and expanding! The new plastic chopping board fits perfectly on our Wyoming 6 and to us, much more preferable and hygenic.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Billy

Maybe I am missing something here but why didn't you check for 12V socket before you purchased?

The wooden chopping board was replaced on Senators 6's because there was a problem with them warping and expanding! The new plastic chopping board fits perfectly on our Wyoming 6 and to us, much more preferable and hygenic.
I suppose after having the wyoming that had 2 12volt sockets you expect them to be there and probly at the time we were looking for other faults not for the unexpected but dissapointed with it all the same.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
The TV and radio are both 12 volt if that helps?
Yep you are right they are but are allready wired up direct not by a plug so impossible to plug anyother 12volt accesories in ie charge a mobile phone or run a 12volt satelite system as we dont have the luxury of 240volt on rallys or cls we need 12volt

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
can't comment on the 12V socket other than to say that my new ranger has one beside the TV socket. the plastic thing is not meant to cover the sink, it sits beside it and is used as a draining board. When not needed for this it frees up work surface as no fixed draining board is needed. A great idea. I concur that wood work finish is not great in the current Baileys.
no the wyoming had a wooden chopping board that fitted into the sink space sitting on top of the washing up bowl so you could use the sink space as part of the work top not the plastic draining board different item all together

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I suppose after having the wyoming that had 2 12volt sockets you expect them to be there and probly at the time we were looking for other faults not for the unexpected but dissapointed with it all the same.
By the way the wyoming had the wooden chopping board we used that for 4 years and must have been lucky as it never shrunk or warped wish i had kept it all the same as the plastic one doesnt fit well at all.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Zafiral no there is not even a aerial socket the tv is built in or the electrics for the tv and the aerial are permanent wires but no sockets or 12volt for othner accesories.

Bailey have probably saved

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Wierd

My S7 Pageneant has 2 12v (and 2 aerial) sockets. It is wierd they are cost cutting on the Senator yet (comparitavely) splashing out on a Pageant.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
You are right the series 5 Senatore i traded for this California had a tv station in a cupboard with a sliding door 1 12volt plug and 1 tv aerial socket also another 12volt plug and aerial socket next to sink .Maybe nobody should be buying new vans in this resesion as the cost cutting you can see could be better than what you cant see what other corners have been cut to save money that we dont know about and may turn up a few months or years down the line.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I think that Bailey have been cost cutting. I bought my current van new last December, a Series 5 Ranger. Now the newer series 6 was available but I did not like it as much as the series 5. Primarily I did not like the colour of the seating and lockers etc but also, the series 5 has spot lights all around the Heki sky light while the newer model does not. Also my series 5 has alloy wheels while the 6 has steel wheels. Either Bailey are cost cutting or they are moving the Ranger down market (ie into the vacted Discovery niche) to make more room for the GT60 now that it seems to have become a permanent line.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well peeps right or wrong we have just done a deal for the california,and minus the delivery charge! so this will be our return to the fixed bed set up, the boss has decided that she has had enough of bed making in our present Arizona, so if there is any one out there that is inreested in a 2007 series5 Arizona, with factory fitted ATC, roof mounted sat dish with permenently fitted lcd tv and sat box give us a shout and you will get a bargain at a lot cheaper price than the dealers. Just had a dig from the boss I also have to get rid of my beloved Isabella commodre awning, apparently we are geting to old for puting up full awnings!!! well I ask missus.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we had the Senator we never used the drainer

We had a nice tray slightly bigger than the sink and with 4 small rubber feet glued on it either covered the sink or was use as a drainer as well as a tray when needed

We have done the same thing in the Ace with a round tray that fits the size of the sink top and is bright and colourful!!

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We too have just ordered a California - we noticed the lack of 12 volt sockets, have asked for one to be put in next to the radio for charging the iPod/iPhone. We are having our satellite transferred to the new van plus having the satellite box (12 volt) wired into the space next to the TV fitting. We've also asked for an extra mains socket on this side - they are going to change the single socket to a double. We are changing from a Sterling van so are getting an portable induction hob to replace the mains hob on the Sterling cooker - saves a heck of a lot of gas and also saves having to carry a separate kettle for when we are on mains.

Can you not get your satellite moved to the new van?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Isnt the Senator Bailey's top of the range van?

Surely you shouldnt have to add basic items which are std in other manufacturers lower ranges?

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Isnt the Senator Bailey's top of the range van?

Surely you shouldnt have to add basic items which are std in other manufacturers lower ranges?
Do you mean the 12 volt sockets? The problem is that the TV etc is all hardwired in so no need normally for such a socket, as the radio has MP3 input we decided to have an extra 12 volt socket put in beside it so that we can charge the iphone and itouch when we are using them.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
We too have just ordered a California - we noticed the lack of 12 volt sockets, have asked for one to be put in next to the radio for charging the iPod/iPhone. We are having our satellite transferred to the new van plus having the satellite box (12 volt) wired into the space next to the TV fitting. We've also asked for an extra mains socket on this side - they are going to change the single socket to a double. We are changing from a Sterling van so are getting an portable induction hob to replace the mains hob on the Sterling cooker - saves a heck of a lot of gas and also saves having to carry a separate kettle for when we are on mains.

Can you not get your satellite moved to the new van?
Hi Jan we dont use our satelite very much if we get a good tv signal just interested to know where next to the tv they are going to wire the 12volt satelite in.Sure you will be happy with your van just wish i had seen lack of 12volt before parting with my cash as would have had a better bargaining hand probly get done for nothing but to late now .Look at the finish in front right and left top corners ie under the alarm sensore on right and same on left maybe you can get something done with that before taking it away.Check your awning rail at front as no opening on mine to start awning in 2 on back why i dont know as back very hard to get awning around tight corner at top good luck Bill

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Well peeps right or wrong we have just done a deal for the california,and minus the delivery charge! so this will be our return to the fixed bed set up, the boss has decided that she has had enough of bed making in our present Arizona, so if there is any one out there that is inreested in a 2007 series5 Arizona, with factory fitted ATC, roof mounted sat dish with permenently fitted lcd tv and sat box give us a shout and you will get a bargain at a lot cheaper price than the dealers. Just had a dig from the boss I also have to get rid of my beloved Isabella commodre awning, apparently we are geting to old for puting up full awnings!!! well I ask missus.
you dont have a isabella tall annex you are selling do you?.

jo

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
billy we have the new wyoming and have the plastic chopping board that fits into the sink perfect.

have you spoken to bailey about the sockets?. tell them you are a rallier?.

keep us posted.

jo

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Just under a week to go and we will be california dreaming, roll on Saturday! Any reports yet good or bad on this new model?

Allan & Gill.
Hi Allan and Gill i can understand you getting excited as i was .Well just back from a 120 mile trip tp Skegness and apart from the things allready mentioned ie 12volt socket,no opening for awning on front of van door side (but one on other side on front) and 2 on back,lack of caps on screws inside van ,and not good woodwork finish on front cabinets near alarm,and door window blind keeps going up when shut mind you dont break the plastic catch,bed abit hard but getting a foam topper this weekend everything was fine.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
billy we have the new wyoming and have the plastic chopping board that fits into the sink perfect.

have you spoken to bailey about the sockets?. tell them you are a rallier?.

keep us posted.

jo
Yes Jo-Anne best they offered is 150 mile round trip to dealer and

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts