Bailey senator indiana battery

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
No need to apologise for asking TD.
Leisure batteries are manufactured in different sizes and capacities.
Look inside the caravan battery box and measure the dimensions so that any battery that you buy will fit the available space, length, width and height.
Note which ends of the battery the +ive and - ive terminal cables enter the battery compartment.
12 v Leisure batteries are rated in amp/ hours.
The higher the number, the greater the battery capacity.
If your caravan touring doesn't involve off grid camping, on caravan rallies for example, and you don't have a motor mover, a lower amp/ hour leisure battery will be fine.
If you attend caravan rallies or off grid music festivals regularly, a higher capacity will be needed, such as 110 amp/hour.
Shop around for the best prices, places such as Towsure, Go Outdoors or Halfords are good starting points

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We got a leisure battery from an online supplier that delivered. Can’t remember which one, as it was a few years ago. It was a reputable make and the best price at the time. Delivery was very prompt.
Worth an internet trawl.
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My problem, which most of us will share is the batteries live for several years, so I have no experience of lots of different makes. We have a Platinum, which is the same make as the previous one, which worked happily for many years, although I have heard of criticism of them. Frankly most makes work well enough and unless someone has had a serious problem with one I would not worry too much. I tend to avoid the very cheap ones, as you tend to get what you pay for, but otherwise I am open to most makes.

Reactions: Hutch and ProfJohnL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've always found Tanya Batteries to be a good on line supplier - either direct or through Amazon. There appears to be no price difference.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've always found Tanya Batteries to be a good on line supplier - either direct or through Amazon. There appears to be no price difference.
It’s but like insurance reviews the majority are written by customers based on their purchasing experience, not how well acclaim is dealt with. I had inordinate trouble trying to persuade a battery supplier in North Wales to replace a defective battery, as they were insistent I return it, and being hazardous waste ( used battery) normal couriers don’t transport them, and licensed carriers tend only to service a regional area. In the end I had to use SoGA backed up by SC court before my problem was resolved. Never again will I buy online and in the period local outlets have become more competitive. Saving a few quid is less important than keeping my stress levels down. 🔋

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
True, but some of us really have no choice but to use on line companies these days. It would cost me more to go to a not quite so local dealer than pay to have an item shipped or even have to pay for a return.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For the record the Halfords leisure batteries are rebadged Yuasa which, along with Bosch and Varta, are probably one of the best batteries made, and they are very competitively priced as well.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For the record the Halfords leisure batteries are rebadged Yuasa which, along with Bosch and Varta, are probably one of the best batteries made, and they are very competitively priced as well.
I had a Yuasa fitted at Halfords earlier this year, competitive price and 5 year guarantee.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's only Yuasa's cheaper ranges that are rebadged as Halfords.

Bosch and Varta are owned by the same company, the batteries are identical except in badging - Varta batteries are rebadged by a number of car makers, including VW Group.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's only Yuasa's cheaper ranges that are rebadged as Halfords.

Bosch and Varta are owned by the same company, the batteries are identical except in badging - Varta batteries are rebadged by a number of car makers, including VW Group.
Bosch Varta Optima Lucas and a lot of other well known brands were owned and manufactured Johnson Controls a U.S. company. In the summer Johnson sold their automotive battery business.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Had a Numax branded battery from Tayna batteries , that one lasted 12 years, would probably have lasted longer but my trickle charger developed a fault and I think that finished it off.
Had to buy a Halfrauds one as we were in a hurry to go away for a weeks holiday when we found the issue with the old one.
THis one is 3 years old now, so we'll see how we go

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
How long do batteries last for my car is 4 years + could not start it this morning so rung my VW dealer someone came to my home and they got it going . so i am hoping it going to okay we go away this weekend .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
How long do batteries last for my car is 4 years + could not start it this morning so rung my VW dealer someone came to my home and they got it going . so i am hoping it going to okay we go away this weekend .
There no real answer to that - although car workshops will always say less than your battery's age to persuade you to buy another.

Battery life is very dependent on usage - my VW Touareg battery is 7 years old and going strong - but the car wasn't used for a year when I was medically banned and not used for another year during Covid - for both periods, the battery was put on a smart charger once/month.

Short trips where the battery doesn't get fully charged will shorten its life.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The battery in my Santa Fe is 8 years old, I changed it at the start of this year, it was going to be used in the caravan, but as yet I haven't bothered to change all over. The caravan one is70 % at the last service.
When I checked the voltage with the battery on the car it was showing about 12.5 volts, yet off the car 12.9 volts so there is a lot of parasitic draw from somewhere in the car, alarm etc.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There no real answer to that - although car workshops will always say less than your battery's age to persuade you to buy another.

Battery life is very dependent on usage - my VW Touareg battery is 7 years old and going strong - but the car wasn't used for a year when I was medically banned and not used for another year during Covid - for both periods, the battery was put on a smart charger once/month.

Short trips where the battery doesn't get fully charged will shorten its life.
I think it because it not been use much but it now on a charger overnight and we are going up near Morpeth that about 165 miles from home .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Nissan battery was 9 years old when replaced. But I did that out of caution. The Subaru was 8 years old when I changed its battery. Again out of caution. 4 years for an OEM battery sounds a bit low. But driving to Northumberland and back seems a bit extreme to charge it up. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I posted this in another thread and it has lots of information including a section on how long should batteries last.

As a point of interest my old Nissan Battery was 9 years old when I replaced it. It would still start the car but if you tried it a second time a short while later it wouldn't.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure car batteries are relevant, they are different and have a different usage. A lot depends on how you treat them and use them but I would expect at least five years as a minimum and usually a bit more.
My daughter had trouble with hers due to the engine cutting out when she stopped and started in the traffic jams she encountered daily going to work. She disabled that and the battery worked, although the extra petrol used may not have been the long term cheapest option.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not sure car batteries are relevant, they are different and have a different usage. A lot depends on how you treat them and use them but I would expect at least five years as a minimum and usually a bit more.
My daughter had trouble with hers due to the engine cutting out when she stopped and started in the traffic jams she encountered daily going to work. She disabled that and the battery worked, although the extra petrol used may not have been the long term cheapest option.
Most cars with stop-start have a battery specific to that purpose, usually AGM or EFB, compared to cars without stop-start. They also usually have a battery management system which switches off the stop-start if the battery charge is low - in reality this means that stop-start will activate less frequently as the battery ages.

I've modified my VW Touareg so that the stop-start defaults to off although I do turn it on if I'm stuck in a traffic queue.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our Nissan battery was 9 years old when replaced. But I did that out of caution. The Subaru was 8 years old when I changed its battery. Again out of caution. 4 years for an OEM battery sounds a bit low. But driving to Northumberland and back seems a bit extreme to charge it up. 😂
Hi Clive not if you are going on holiday and we will kill to birds with one stone (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in another thread and it has lots of information including a section on how long should batteries last.

As a point of interest my old Nissan Battery was 9 years old when I replaced it. It would still start the car but if you tried it a second time a short while later it wouldn't.
The dealer drop it off this morning it had a full charge and just said see how you go but any more problems you only have to ring

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
No need to apologise for asking TD.
Leisure batteries are manufactured in different sizes and capacities.
Look inside the caravan battery box and measure the dimensions so that any battery that you buy will fit the available space, length, width and height.
Note which ends of the battery the +ive and - ive terminal cables enter the battery compartment.
12 v Leisure batteries are rated in amp/ hours.
The higher the number, the greater the battery capacity.
If your caravan touring doesn't involve off grid camping, on caravan rallies for example, and you don't have a motor mover, a lower amp/ hour leisure battery will be fine.
If you attend caravan rallies or off grid music festivals regularly, a higher capacity will be needed, such as 110 amp/hour.
Shop around for the best prices, places such as Towsure, Go Outdoors or Halfords are good starting points
Thank you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts