Bailey Shock absorbers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought some Alko dampers several vans ago and keep swapping them when I change the van

They are now on the Senator and can only improve things as Roger describes.

I believe that in Germany they are a legal requirement if you wish to tow at the max permitted speed

Enter Lutz stage left

Oh yes it is

Well its pantomime season after all !!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Fully endorse the fitting of shock absorbers, they make a significant difference to the stability, side to side sway, and general pleasantness of the tow.

And JohnG - shock absorbers are one of the seven or so mandatory requirements for Tempo 100 in Germany - being able to tow at 100 kph rather than 80 kph.

And David - if you use the Forum Search you'll see a group of threads on this subject - all positive.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought some Alko dampers several vans ago and keep swapping them when I change the van

They are now on the Senator and can only improve things as Roger describes.

I believe that in Germany they are a legal requirement if you wish to tow at the max permitted speed

Enter Lutz stage left

Oh yes it is

Well its pantomime season after all !!
Hi John,

We have a new Pagent Series 6 on order that arrives in January(I hope) How easy are these to fit, from what you said you transfere them each time you change your van. Are they similar to vehicle shocks and where did you get them from. I train in the motor industry and have very good contacts for shockers at good prices so I may be able to source through the industry. Does it have any effect on the warranty (doubt it as I am sure you would not have done it if it did) What are there benifits and do they come as a kit for each make?

Many Thanks

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob there are slots in the suspension arm with a rubber bung that you remove to fit the bottom end of the damper and the top end goes into pre-drilled holes in the Alko chassis.

As they are made by Alko (available from them or caravan dealers)there should be no warranty worries that I can imagine.

Have a look on

www.al-ko.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Fully endorse the fitting of shock absorbers, they make a significant difference to the stability, side to side sway, and general pleasantness of the tow.

And JohnG - shock absorbers are one of the seven or so mandatory requirements for Tempo 100 in Germany - being able to tow at 100 kph rather than 80 kph.

And David - if you use the Forum Search you'll see a group of threads on this subject - all positive.

Robert
Not seven deadly sins then.

Do tell us the other six!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob there are slots in the suspension arm with a rubber bung that you remove to fit the bottom end of the damper and the top end goes into pre-drilled holes in the Alko chassis.

As they are made by Alko (available from them or caravan dealers)there should be no warranty worries that I can imagine.

Have a look on

www.al-ko.co.uk
http://217.199.167.226/shop/acatalog/Shock_Absorbers.html

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Unless your local caravan accessory shop is very cheap, it's normally cheaper to buy direct from Al-Ko, just go to their website. You'll need to know the MTPLM of your caravan to select the correct colour of damper.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi,

Robert
Well, it's not actually seven but there are several other further requirements:

1. The towcar must have ABS

2. The weight ratio must not exceed 100%, even if the manufacturer's spec allows a higher towload.

3. The tyres on the caravan must be no more than 6 years old.

4. The caravan must have an integrated coupling stabiliser or an approved electronic stabiliser (the law does not cater for blade type stabilisers).

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Robert
Well I've just read the Tempo 100 information on the ADAC web-site and they bullet point a total of 7 issues.

It was a guess by me - I did say "seven or so" - but a pretty good guess.

Robert :)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi,

Robert
There are two other conditions which apply, yes, but they wouldn't require any modification to an existing outfit. They are:

5. The GVW of the towcar must not exceed 3.5 tonnes (pretty obvious really as it would then be classed as a commercial vehicle).

6. The noseweight must be set at the maximum possible (which I would recommend anyway, regardless of towing speed).

Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
There are two other conditions which apply, yes, but they wouldn't require any modification to an existing outfit. They are:

5. The GVW of the towcar must not exceed 3.5 tonnes (pretty obvious really as it would then be classed as a commercial vehicle).

6. The noseweight must be set at the maximum possible (which I would recommend anyway, regardless of towing speed).
It must be a German registered vehicle

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John and Roger,

Had a look at the Al-ko site and found them,looks as if I do fit them I will have to go for the Red range as the new van weight is 1400kg MPTLM

Thanks Rob

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

Probably yes, although I have seen foreign registered buses with an official 100km/h sticker on German roads. Where they got the stamp of approval on their sticker from I do not know but if it's possible for them, it should be possible for a caravan outfit, as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts