Bailey warranty work

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Bob,

Your contract of sale for any product exists between you and the seller. The seller is the person or organisation that takes your money,and as such it may be a dealer, or manufacture if the sell direct, or it could be a finance house. That is am important distinction.

at the point of sale the Sale of Goods Act comes into play, and that inexorable makes the seller liable if the product is faulty. It does not matter if it is a design or manufacturing fault the seller is liable.

So you should return your defective product to the seller. If the seller must either repair replace or refund the defective product.

If the product can be repaired, but the seller does not have the facilities to do it themselves, they must make tall necessary arrangements to effect the repair, as if they were doing it them selves. That may mean they sub contract the repair to another organisation - which may be the original manufacturer. But as it is a subcontract issue, the product owner has no need to be involved in any way in fulfilling the contract.

If the product needs to be transported to place other than the sellers premiss, it is the sellers responsibility to make all the necessary arrangements without any cost or extra inconvenience to the product owner.

In essence if your seller asks you to transport the product to a third party, then the seller is obliged to compensate you for any real costs incurred.

There is big But! The above only applies if you have arranged for the repair under the sellers warranty. It does not apply If you have arranged to have a repair done under the manufactures guarantee,which is a totally separate thing and is governed by the terms and conditions set out in the guarantee documentation.

The moral of this, is if you have a major repair due to faulty products insist it is done under SoGA warranty through your seller - not you nearest dealer.
Re Bailey Caravans delay in recall repairs, as I understand it Bailey had a meeting with dealers and service agents before Christmas amd asked that they hold back sending vans for repair as they just could not cope, the Pegasus beeing one problem, also I think I am correct in saying Bailey moved their department that deals in faults to a different building which has not helped the situation.

From a conversation I had with Bailey customer services in November 2009 I found them far from helpful and just wanted to pass the problem back to the dealership, the old Bailey customer service people were far more helpful.

Mar 28, 2007
Visit site
Our Bailey Senator taken into Baileys, on warranty, for large damp repairs, at their request in October 2009. Despite calls etc. not a peep out of them or the dealer. Bailey's customer interaction is abysmal. Instead of being somewhat sympathetic; after all it is you that have bought a product costing many thousands of pounds that leaks, their attitude smacks of 'well you should have known better, what do you want us to do about it?'. My question is "What's a reasonable time?"

All caravan manufacturers have shielded themselves from the customers, behind the dealer network.

The dealer, in my view, is unlikely to make waves and upset a manufacturer on behalf of a customer as it may very well effect delivery times, etc.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Our Bailey Senator taken into Baileys, on warranty, for large damp repairs, at their request in October 2009. Despite calls etc. not a peep out of them or the dealer. Bailey's customer interaction is abysmal. Instead of being somewhat sympathetic; after all it is you that have bought a product costing many thousands of pounds that leaks, their attitude smacks of 'well you should have known better, what do you want us to do about it?'. My question is "What's a reasonable time?"

All caravan manufacturers have shielded themselves from the customers, behind the dealer network.

The dealer, in my view, is unlikely to make waves and upset a manufacturer on behalf of a customer as it may very well effect delivery times, etc.
The problem is not only with Bailey. Browsing the forums will show that a number of caravans/manufacturers have problems with bodywork. Our Coachman has some serious stress damage that Coachman want to blame on us..driving in a pot-hole or kerbing the caravan etc: We have seen similar comments by other owners and neither Coachman nor dealer want to know - despite us spending over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts