Bailey water ingress

Nov 12, 2022
Visit site
Hello there.
I have been a very satisfied bailey owner since 2005 but unfortunately after 14yrs my van has a damp patch.
I have a Bailey Pageant series 7 Burgundy which I have had from new, it has been damp checked annually when serviced but, this year a couple of months after its serviced I discovered quite a bad damp patch at the top nearside rear corner of the van.
I am pretty sure the culprit is the roof strap as the ceiling is soft and deformed across the van below the strap and for a short distance along the top of the wall panel.

My question is, has anyone any details of the cross section where the wall and roof join.
Does the roof sit on top of the wall or does it join to the side of the wall, and is there any wooden framing at the wall / roof joint, and how are the panels joined, are they actually glued / bonded.

Considering the age and value of the van I am considering taking on the work myself hence all the above queries, I will be very grateful if anyone can enlighten me.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hello there.
I have been a very satisfied bailey owner since 2005 but unfortunately after 14yrs my van has a damp patch.
I have a Bailey Pageant series 7 Burgundy which I have had from new, it has been damp checked annually when serviced but, this year a couple of months after its serviced I discovered quite a bad damp patch at the top nearside rear corner of the van.
I am pretty sure the culprit is the roof strap as the ceiling is soft and deformed across the van below the strap and for a short distance along the top of the wall panel.

My question is, has anyone any details of the cross section where the wall and roof join.
Does the roof sit on top of the wall or does it join to the side of the wall, and is there any wooden framing at the wall / roof joint, and how are the panels joined, are they actually glued / bonded.

Considering the age and value of the van I am considering taking on the work myself hence all the above queries, I will be very grateful if anyone can enlighten me.

Good for you. I imagine there is a lateral batten in the roof at the joint. It would need inspecting from underneath to see if it is usable. But I am guessing.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Often the big unknown is the extent of any damage caused by the ingress. If you have only just detected the damp on the inside, sadly its quite likely its been getting wet for considerably longer and may have caused rot across quite an area. You won't know how far it goes until you have exposed the affected area. Do not leave any suspect material get rid of all of it. Only replace it with either properly treated wood or perhaps other non compostable materials, and of course ensure all the joints are properly sealed.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if it was me i would take it to my caravan engineer and get him to check it out i know it not what you want to hear but like what anyone says it can be a big job water ingress

Nov 12, 2022
Visit site
if it was me i would take it to my caravan engineer and get him to check it out i know it not what you want to hear but like what anyone says it can be a big job water ingress
I am awaiting estimates for the work from the dealership who have serviced the van from new and a local caravan repair shop.
I will wait to see how things go once i have received the estimates.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am awaiting estimates for the work from the dealership who have serviced the van from new and a local caravan repair shop.
I will wait to see how things go once i have received the estimates.
I hope you get a favourable outcome and it not to expensive to repair good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts