batteries!!!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

This has been covered several times - a quick Forum Search should bring up many threads - but in essence:

A "normal" or "starting" battery - as fitted to your car - is designed to release hundreds of amps over quite short periods of times.

A "leisure" battery - as used in a caravan - is designed to release a few tens of amps over very long periods of time - like the task of running a radio, a few lights, and a water pump.

How they do each job is primarily down to the design of the lead plates internal to the battery - thin versus thick, many versus one. So a normal battery has lots of thin plates which means high currents for short periods, and a few thick plates means a leisure battery.

Don't get the wrong one, they are very different in capabilities.

Robert

Apr 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

This has been covered several times - a quick Forum Search should bring up many threads - but in essence:

A "normal" or "starting" battery - as fitted to your car - is designed to release hundreds of amps over quite short periods of times.

A "leisure" battery - as used in a caravan - is designed to release a few tens of amps over very long periods of time - like the task of running a radio, a few lights, and a water pump.

How they do each job is primarily down to the design of the lead plates internal to the battery - thin versus thick, many versus one. So a normal battery has lots of thin plates which means high currents for short periods, and a few thick plates means a leisure battery.

Don't get the wrong one, they are very different in capabilities.

Robert
thanks for that!!! i,ll get the right one then.

It must be obvious i,m quite new to this!!!!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
rob-jax

Good description and bang on the money but to confuse matters there are now batteries that are a sort of hybrid,I guess aimed at tne marine market where you need the heavy output to start the engine but trickle to run the ancilliaries.In a caravan this type I suspect but do not know would be the ideal type if you have a motor mover fitted which needs powere a bit like starting an engine,any thoughts if this might be correct.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Plotter,

A hybrid may indeed be better if you have a motor-mover - but compared to a starter motor, these don't use anything like the same current - most movers use around 15Amps rising to a maximum of 60Amps for a dual axle mover under heavy load. Starting my E320 needs 200Amps or more on a cold day.

So if most single axle caravan movers have a typical need of around 15Amps - whilst that's above normal habitation use - it's well inside the design specification of a leisure battery.

Interesting idea though - and one that the dual axle fiends can investigate

Robert

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks, got that ( I think) it was just a thought bought on because a friend with a new fully charged leisure battery couldnt get his mover to work properly as it seemed not to be getting enough umph (thats a techical term that any sparks will understand)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts