Battery advice needed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How long should a leisure battery last, in years? Are some brands better than others, if so which? Is a 110AH at £80 likely to last any longer than a 110AH at £40. I've never needed a leisure battery before as we just use the on-board power supply when we have a mains hook-up and a 12S extension lead for overnight stops. This year we're planning to use CL's and crofts in remote areas which don't have mains so I need to buy a 110AH leisure battery but don't know which brand(s) are the best value. Your help would be much appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roger - buy the best you can afford with the biggest AH rating. In 19 years of vanning, I've only ever had to replace 1 battery due to failure, so you can expect 6-7 years minimum, but I always keep the van hooked up at home, and charge the battery properly twice a year, as van chargers never completely charge the battery as their charging voltage is not the required 14.4 volts. We use a 110 AH & find it easily lasts 2 weeks on a CL, but we don't use a telly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your input, Mike H and tonye. It seems impossible to get any comparative information or advice on leisure batteries. Actually it's difficult to find comparative tests for very much related to caravanning. Perhaps practical Caravan could start running such tests, not just "product reviews". If we don't use the TV we can last indefinitely without any leisure battery, just using the 12S connection and recharging the car battery during normal touring. I think I've just convinced my self not to take the TV on our more remote trips!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts