Battery and Motor Mover

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Is there anyone out there who can offer any help or explanation ?

I have a Truma Motor Mover which is giving me problems. Seconds after switching on the unit and starting to move the caravan the system shuts down then resets itself, (you can hear it clicking as it resets). It will go again for a few seconds then the same thing happens again. Not very good when the caravan is half way across the road.

I have been in touch with Truma who have said that I need a 110amp battery and not the newish 85amp that I have used without problem for 12 months. Even my old 85amp battery that was on its way out didn't give any problem with the mover.

As I understand it, and I am happy to be corrected, all that a 110amp battery provides is a longer period of power, not increased power so 85amps would just give a reduced running time - if my understanding is correct. If this is correct then why would a 110amp battery solve the problem, or is this just Truma not wanting a warranty claim ?

The battery voltage is usually around 12.8 / 12.9 volts and is still showing this figure after moving the caravan the 30 feet (or less)that is necessary. I have also had the battery checked by the battery supplier who claims that it is not faulty, (all the green lights came up on the discharge tester).

I have also changed the batteries in the hand held controller with no noticable benefit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

JohnM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John.

Had the same problem with our Truma mover took it back to the dealer who replaced the unit no problems,obviously this is a known fault with thi unit.Jim

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Your understanding is sound in that it should not matter whether its a 85 or 110 Ahr battery as far as short term use of the mover is concerned. What matters is the batteries ability to supply the level of current needed; up to 120 Amp if working hard but typically much lower than this for level surface operation.

I use a portable semi traction battery with mine when the van is at home and this is a 65Ahr one I purchased in 1992 and it still handles my 1900kg van up and down my 1:14 concrete drive. But that is a very high quality battery even those days costing big money.

It could be your particular 85Ahr battery has a low ability to supply the required current and your symptoms support that view. In your position I would be borrowing another known good battery to see if that curers it. May I enquire if this battery is a premium one or a budget one?

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
JohnM, connect a voltmeter across your battery and operate the mover, and see what the voltage drops to. This may tell you that the voltage is too low to operate the mover and the battery is not charged or you have a fault with the mover causing the voltage to collapse.

Take a note of the readings just in case you have to talk to Truma.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
when you start up the mover it could draw very high current then drop back a bit. This will pull down the voltage on the battery and if the current is too high can fry the cells in the battery.

Cheap 85ah batteries often have too high an internal resistance to use with a mover.... I have a Green 85ah battery... its knackered after using it my mover and the cells are fried, It will not hold a charge anymore .

get a 110 with high discharge rate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts