Battery Charging disabled

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I've just taken delivery of a used caravan thats 4 years old and I've discovered that for some reason the battery charging circuit has been disabled by a previous owner by removing the fuse and tipp-ex'ing out the circuit name. It means the battery is completely dead (getting a 2V reading), so no 12V electrics are working.

I can only guess that the circuit was causing a problem, but I've no idea what that could be and I'm reluctant to put a fuse back in, in case it can cause some damage.

Does anyone have any ideas why someone might need to do this, or possible problems a bad charging circuit could cause either the van or the car?

Thanks

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Ray,

Is that something I could replace myself? I can't find much info in my caravan manuals to help diagnose or repair problems in this area.

If anyone knows much about the ESM4 fitted to a 2005 Sprite Major, I'd appreciate any info before I cart it off to a service centre.

Thanks

Andrew

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
is this not something you cannot go back to the people you purchased the van with? It seems a bit strange that there should be a fault like this on a relatively newish van, I would have thought that such a fault would have been a waranty job & the previous owners would have had it done by the original dealer???

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Its difficult to advise, without seeing the problem in the flesh.

It may be the best option to get a pro to diagnose the problem and give you a free quote.

PSU can be expensive, but it is possible to fit a "smart" unit that will not over charge the battery.

I expect the battery cannot be recovered but it will do no arm to try a recharge.

I suspect the PSU failed out of warrentry, but find it strange that the circuit was tippexed out?

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
It does sound a bit odd. Reading the details, the van was purchased in April '06 so should still be under warranty and there are annual service sheets, but not sure if they're authorised swift group ones.

I'll contact a dealer and see what they think. Only got a few days till the warranty runs out :)

Anyone know for any just reason why someone would disable the charging circuit even if it wasn't faulty?

Thanks

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts