Battery Charging

Jul 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi All. I have a 2011 Stirling Eccles Topaz. My question is does the caravan battery charge up when being towed by the towing vehicle. If so do I need to turn anything on in the caravan for example the PSU black main switch. Thanks in anticipation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All. I have a 2011 Stirling Eccles Topaz. My question is does the caravan battery charge up when being towed by the towing vehicle. If so do I need to turn anything on in the caravan for example the PSU black main switch. Thanks in anticipation.
Hello Martyn.

To be able to charge the caravan battery (and to cool the fridge) when towing, the tow car must have the wiring loom that includes the auxiliary circuits fitted. Not all towbar fitters automatically fit these circuits. If your car does not heave them then it won't charge the caravan battery. You will need to check the car and if necessary get them fitted.

Once the Alternator is producing enough power, the caravan's habitation relay should divert the auxiliary circuits to the battery.

I cannot tell you how to set the internal caravan switches, that should be explained in the owners handbook.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello Martyn.

To be able to charge the caravan battery (and to cool the fridge) when towing, the tow car must have the wiring loom that includes the auxiliary circuits fitted. Not all towbar fitters automatically fit these circuits. If your car does not heave them then it won't charge the caravan battery. You will need to check the car and if necessary get them fitted.

Once the Alternator is producing enough power, the caravan's habitation relay should divert the auxiliary circuits to the battery.

I cannot tell you how to set the internal caravan switches, that should be explained in the owners handbook.
Yes you probably have the same supply unit as mine. Press the black switch above the 12 v section in when towing. It’s in my manual but “ hard to find”.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I should also add that it is a 13pin connector and sergeant electrics in the van. (sorry don't know how to edit original post)

There's a clue - look for the word 'edit' at the bottom of your original post. It should be there for at least a couple of hours unless you get a reply meantime.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Cars with Smart alternators may not be able to charge the battery properly however apparently there is a workaround.

Jul 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Regarding the wiring when I had the towbar fitted I had the vehicle specific wiring harness fitted to my motor. Looked in the manual but couldn't find anything so thanks otherclive for finding about pressing the black power button in to allow charging. Found the edit button now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having a vehicle specific wiring loom does not always include the supplementary 12V for charging a caravan battery. Check with your towbar wiring fitter.

As Buckman has pointed out more modern cars with "Smart Alternators" won't always produce enough power for long enough to charge a caravan battery. again consult your tow bar wiring fitters.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I fitted dedicated wiring to my motor and the battery charge/fridge cooling was an add on, a different loom. Wouldn't have known had the supplier hadn't told me I needed it. Easily fitted. Habitation relay switches over automatically, put fridge on battery when engine running, will show it's cooling, if fitted

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why? I posted my reply 8 hours ago and the edit icon is still present.

I haven't and do not see any three dots on my posts. Are you think of the same forum/web site?

Of course I’m on the same Forum as you. Where did you think I got my viewings from?
Perhaps it’s because I hold my Iphone in the normal phone position rather than horizontally. And that might be why the OP didn’t see the “edit or delete” option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts