battery charging

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am I right in assuming that I can charge my battery whilst it is situated in the van during winter by hooking it up to a 13amp domestic socket (my van has a built in charger). Is this a practical way of doing it or does a mobile battery charger do the job better?

Thanks for any advice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave - caravan chargers don't normally fuly charge the battery, as they don't push out the full 14.4 volts needed to do this. it's ok to keep your van hooked up to keep the battery fresh, but you'll need to trickle charge it with a proper battery charger about every 2-3 months to keep the battery fully charged. Happy Xmas!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should be OK doing as you suggest as the caravan charger is designed so that it does not overcharge the battery - in fact it will never actually fully charge the battery. You need a normal battery charger to do this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can give your battery a charge like this but remember that the built in charger in the caravan will never 100% recharge your battery. Best idea is to give it a really good charge off the van and only use the inbuilt for a booster charge.

Do not leave your battery in a discharged state are you battery will be kaput.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The battery in my van is over 4 years old, and has only ever been charged in the van. The van is left hooked up at all times, and I have never had a problem with it - including moving the van with the motor mover.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts