Battery discharge rates .

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
I checked the battery cold some 2 hours after it was on a battery conditioner, so that drop already happened I think ….. this was yesterday I did not say apologies - the battery conditioner is the auto one from Batteries

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
So I have sourced a DC clamp meter a good one I can borrow off my friend - so I will monitor the drop on this battery for a week and then reinstall and check for leakage - I will remove 1 fuse at a time until I find the source of the leak - going to fridge first - this may help others or not - but at least I find the leak as the battery after a day and half is still 12.96

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So I have sourced a DC clamp meter a good one I can borrow off my friend - so I will monitor the drop on this battery for a week and then reinstall and check for leakage - I will remove 1 fuse at a time until I find the source of the leak - going to fridge first - this may help others or not - but at least I find the leak as the battery after a day and half is still 12.96

A "clamp meter" is a device for measuring current in a conductor passing through the clamp, and whilst some can be quite sensitive, I doubt it would be sensitive enough to measure the very small currents you are looking for.

I presume the "drop" you are referring to is the terminal voltage, and as such the "current clamp" would not detect this anyway.

Also if you are looking for a "parasitic loss" due to the condition of the battery, then these currents are internal to the battery and would not be detected in any circuit connected to the battery.

You need an accurate Volt meter or data logger.

Reactions: Baron Von Greenback
Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
A "clamp meter" is a device for measuring current in a conductor passing through the clamp, and whilst some can be quite sensitive, I doubt it would be sensitive enough to measure the very small currents you are looking for.

I presume the "drop" you are referring to is the terminal voltage, and as such the "current clamp" would not detect this anyway.

Also if you are looking for a "parasitic loss" due to the condition of the battery, then these currents are internal to the battery and would not be detected in any circuit connected to the battery.

You need an accurate Volt meter or data logger.

thanks

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

I would agree, but for measuring the current drains within the caravan itself, once a battery is back in place the cheap very practical, easily used "current tester" I identified way back in post #10, is ideal.

I suggest it is also a very good "tool" for anyone to have in their tool-kit, if even remotely a DIYer.
It can be somewhat more challenging using a multi meter for testing current flows, particularly without the right probe set to go with it. These two things, multi meter and current tester, complement each other.

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
I would agree, but for measuring the current drains within the caravan itself, once a battery is back in place the cheap very practical, easily used "current tester" I identified way back in post #10, is ideal.

I suggest it is also a very good "tool" for anyone to have in their tool-kit, if even remotely a DIYer.
It can be somewhat more challenging using a multi meter for testing current flows, particularly without the right probe set to go with it. These two things, multi meter and current tester, complement each other.
That is exactly what I am doing - the clamp meter I have will measure 1mA and above - all I am looking to do is understand what circuit stops the flow by way of removing fuses - so I don’t have to worry when it’s in Storage the battery drains - todays reading 12.96 V again so the battery is good and stable - it has lost a few mA but that could be temperature related - I am sure what ever is draining it will draw more than a mA - this may help others in the same situation in winter storage - not science but practical - I will keep you all updated

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Baron v GB, I had the same problem on my Coachman, battery discharging a bit quick, not a problem when going out every month but chased it down to the fridge electronics and the radio ( even with the front panel off ) rather than pulling the fuses every time I left the caravan I fitted an isolator terminal, It works well, but winter months I still take the battery home, as not knowing when we will get out again.

Reactions: Baron Von Greenback
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PLEASE BE CAREFUL:

I am concerned because you are using some technical terms incorrectly, and that raises the possibility you do not know exactly what you are doing, and you could be endangering yourself or the caravan or equipment you are using. If in doubt please consult a professional.

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
So fitted battery back in and noted when in and master switch set to on 45mA draw with only the panel and Alde panel on - when I turned on Alde pump it went up to 1.2 amps draw of current through clamp meter - this proved the clamp meter working - so everything off I had 17-20 mA draw traced it to fridge removed fuse now zero draw . So intention is to leave battery disconnected and check next week - I am starting off with 12.77 volts as I have been using it this morning - will report back but hopefully it will be around 12.7 if this week anything to go by - so my conclusion if leaving battery there is disconnect it at the terminals - it’s up to you - for info I was using a borrowed commercial current clamp meter which retails in the region of 400 pounds I was told - it definitely saw the current draw as I went through various switches - quite useful as I just fitted a new awning led light and when on not draw much at all ! Anyway have a good day

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
The Sargent website has an article on batteries. Their main chargers can be on or off. If on the internal electronics uses 0.11A. This equates to about 2 Amp hours a day. So an 80 Ah battery, with actual capacity of 64 Ah will drain in 32 days.
Alarm uses 4MA

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
You need a data logger to save you having to keep looking! I have a phantom tracker, that shows long term trends. But I have a small solar panel.44E6BD51-FF27-4006-8CD3-CB1E6BD152BB.jpeg44E6BD51-FF27-4006-8CD3-CB1E6BD152BB.jpeg

It only has a resolution of 0.1V

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The Sargent website has an article on batteries. Their main chargers can be on or off. If on the internal electronics uses 0.11A. This equates to about 2 Amp hours a day. So an 80 Ah battery, with actual capacity of 64 Ah will drain in 32 days.
Alarm uses 4MA

For the record I think you mean four milliamps (4mA) and not four mega-amps (4MA)?

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
So fitted battery back in and noted when in and master switch set to on 45mA draw with only the panel and Alde panel on - when I turned on Alde pump it went up to 1.2 amps draw of current through clamp meter - this proved the clamp meter working - so everything off I had 17-20 mA draw traced it to fridge removed fuse now zero draw . So intention is to leave battery disconnected and check next week - I am starting off with 12.77 volts as I have been using it this morning - will report back but hopefully it will be around 12.7 if this week anything to go by - so my conclusion if leaving battery there is disconnect it at the terminals - it’s up to you - for info I was using a borrowed commercial current clamp meter which retails in the region of 400 pounds I was told - it definitely saw the current draw as I went through various switches - quite useful as I just fitted a new awning led light and when on not draw much at all ! Anyway have a good day

i will check at the weekend I am expecting the reading to be 12.7 ish maybe 12.69V

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Update for the men and women following … my battery left in caravan disconnected is 12.76 - now I am astounded to be honest - i am very happy .

my advice leave the battery disconnected when on storage - it’s lost next to nothing over the week using same meter and around same temp - hope this helps someone else.

yes yes alarm but I am cassoda gold site and an alarm…. So put on your hitch locks - wheel locks and disconnect the battery

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts