Battery - Had It's day

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So folks have started the research into replacing my battery which currently is a 85AH .
Looking to upgrade to around the 110AH to 120AH, but here is my problem A low height one is to long by 4mm!!

A standard battery is to high for my battery compartment, length and width is fine. The height is 242mm including terminals and my compartment is 250mm at the front and it slopes down to 220mm at the rear.
So I would only have 8mm clearance to fit my quick release terminals which really needs 15mm and that will be tight.
Is there another option for the terminals or does any one have an idea for a suitatable battery?
Failing that it will have to be an 85AH again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Kev, I have always thought that I needed a 110 or higher battery, but having only gone off grid twice in 12 year now think why do I need a large Amphere battery. The 85 will move the van on the motor mover for well over " a lot longer than a long bit of string" when we deliberatly went off grid we still had power for showers after two nights of low lights in the van, and still power for the motor mover for 15 minutes of faffing around.
I am sure if you search enough you will find a battery to fit your compartment, my battery is back on charge again.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So folks have started the research into replacing my battery which currently is a 85AH .
Looking to upgrade to around the 110AH to 120AH, but here is my problem A low height one is to long by 4mm!!

A standard battery is to high for my battery compartment, length and width is fine. The height is 242mm including terminals and my compartment is 250mm at the front and it slopes down to 220mm at the rear.
So I would only have 8mm clearance to fit my quick release terminals which really needs 15mm and that will be tight.
Is there another option for the terminals or does any one have an idea for a suitatable battery?
Failing that it will have to be an 85AH again.
Hi Kev it just depends if a 110 AH Battery will fit yours i hope one does

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev, I have always thought that I needed a 110 or higher battery, but having only gone off grid twice in 12 year now think why do I need a large Amphere battery. The 85 will move the van on the motor mover for well over " a lot longer than a long bit of string" when we deliberatly went off grid we still had power for showers after two nights of low lights in the van, and still power for the motor mover for 15 minutes of faffing around.
I am sure if you search enough you will find a battery to fit your compartment, my battery is back on charge again.
Hi Hutch, hope you be's keeping well.
Ive had no probs with the 85ah but just thought I would upgrade as I was changing it any way.
I dont use it much for the mover any way as I have learnt to reverse with the van on :giggle:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Hutch, hope you be's keeping well.
Ive had no probs with the 85ah but just thought I would upgrade as I was changing it any way.
I dont use it much for the mover any way as I have learnt to reverse with the van on :giggle:
but reversing upand down the driveway in a straight line,is easy , try it in a dead end road in the middle of London, sat nav. Thankfully a wide end to it, and only a 5 metre caravan.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also got a brand new battery last year because like someone else it was dead could not get the mover to work we also change the battery in the remote

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We also got a brand new battery last year because like someone else it was dead could not get the mover to work we also change the battery in the remote
I thought you had a 2019 caravan? Surely the battery on it did not pack in that quick and it would be under warranty? Additionally we have had the same battery in our remote for the past 3 years.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought you had a 2019 caravan? Surely the battery on it did not pack in that quick and it would be under warranty? Additionally we have had the same battery in our remote for the past 3 years.
Hi Buckman The caravan we have at present is a 2008 Abbey GTS 215 Caravan we brought it in 2019 . we might upgrade but cannot see us owning another brand new van , we are saving at present .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Buckman The caravan we have at present is a 2008 Abbey GTS 215 Caravan we brought it in 2019 . we might upgrade but cannot see us owning another brand new van , we are saving at present .
Okay gotcha. I was under the mistaken impression that you had a 2019 caravan. Apologies.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So battery arrived Thursday and fitted toaday, arrived with 12.7 volts in it and charging at 13.7, will check final reading when unplugged and switched off tomorrow.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have had my caravan battery in the garage since coming back from Waterrow in October, had it on charge every two weeks for 24 to 48 hours,
My charger is not a new smart charger, it's an old Halfords one probably 15 to 20 years old. But has a light that shows when it goes into " maintain" mode. It normally charges at around 13 .6 volts, and my battery seems to be ok. Sitting at about 12.9 v. dropping to 12. 6v. I might take it to my local caravan place and ask them to do a battery test on it as it is about 5 years old .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Today decided to pump up the tyres on the motor bike ready for the good weather coming, so connected the tyre pump to the caravan battery on the bench, at 12.6 volts, and I could hear straight away it was not pumping well, so two tyres pumped, maybe 3 mintues each, and battery down to 12.3v.
I will take it to the garage for a drop check.
Halfords class B £110 looks maybe needed, save maybe 4 kg.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Today decided to pump up the tyres on the motor bike ready for the good weather coming, so connected the tyre pump to the caravan battery on the bench, at 12.6 volts, and I could hear straight away it was not pumping well, so to tyres pumped, maybe 3 mintues each, and battery down to 12.3v.
I will take it to the garage for a drop check.
Halfords class B £110 looks maybe needed, save maybe 4 kg.
Did you leave the battery for at least 30 mins after using the pump? Inductive loads like motors will draw quite a bit of current as they start, and batteries need to be allowed to rest/recover to measure the volts

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Did you leave the battery for at least 30 mins after using the pump? Inductive loads like motors will draw quite a bit of current as they start, and batteries need to be allowed to rest/recover to measure the volts
Yes motors do have a significant inrush (Stall) current, but the increased load very rapidly diminishes (typically less than a 0.5 seconds) as soon as the motor shaft starts to spin. A caravan battery in good condition and well charged should barely notice the load from a typical tyre inflator.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Guzzi, No, I didn't bother last night, so I have taken it off charge, and later this afternoon I will, take a reading, run the pump for maybe 10 minutes on the battery, take a voltage reading, then leave it for 1/2 an hour and take another reading.
Prof,
I am pretty sure the battery is time ex. Its over 5 years old and has had a hard life over the years, when my local Garage reopens I will take it there and get a proper check done.

TRENDING THREADS