Battery leak

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Following has never happened before. Took battery out of caravan to give it a boost, had to walk about 40 m to garage and happened to look back along pathway and found long trail of "water". The battery is about six months old and is the so called non whatsit. On investigation underneath two labels about the battery found the usual filling caps . Looked inside and I had nearly emptied down to top of plates. The trail on the sandstone slabs have all been marked with the acid. Later it rained hard but when the slabs dried out the trail is still evident .It had all come out via the breather vents. As for me the battery being so heavy I used my sack truck and the vibration caused the problem.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Contact your battery supplied immediately and make a complaint under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Not everything is sorted out under the auspices of CRA 2015.

There is , according to the OP, nothing to suggest a battery fault as the "leak" was not a leak, it was the contents coming out of the vent.

Reading on, as the battery was on a sack truck, not only was it not level, it was being vibrated , possibly quite a lot, on its way to the garage.

That kind of bad handling is not a CRA 2015 issue !!!!

Reactions: Jcloughie and JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not everything is sorted out under the auspices of CRA 2015.

There is , according to the OP, nothing to suggest a battery fault as the "leak" was not a leak, it was the contents coming out of the vent.

Reading on, as the battery was on a sack truck, not only was it not level, it was being vibrated , possibly quite a lot, on its way to the garage.

That kind of bad handling is not a CRA 2015 issue !!!!

If it were vibrated on the sack truck the battery could also have suffered damage to its plates too.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it were vibrated on the sack truck the battery could also have suffered damage to its plates too.

Yes it could, certainly would not have done it any good !!

A lot of people think that a so called "sealed for life" battery means it cannot leak or expel the electrolyte where in fact all it means is there is more electrolyte in the battery than the standard basic battery.

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks as though you were just unlucky but if it was tilted then it was not faulty. These things have to be kept level and tilting it on a sack truck and then running down the path must have just been too much for it. We did buy a new battery last year though and that was brought out to the car on a sack truck but battery did not leak. Perhaps though the dealer new is limitations and kept it very near upright.
Most carriers will not deliver them presumably because of the potential spillage problem.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks as though you were just unlucky but if it was tilted then it was not faulty. These things have to be kept level and tilting it on a sack truck and then running down the path must have just been too much for it. We did buy a new battery last year though and that was brought out to the car on a sack truck but battery did not leak. Perhaps though the dealer new is limitations and kept it very near upright.
Most carriers will not deliver them presumably because of the potential spillage problem.
A brand new battery will have its two vent plugs in place to prevent leakage. It will also be sealed in a heavy grade plastic wrap and then further protective wrapping to protect it. Carrier companies will transport a brand new battery. But a used one is classed as hazardous waste and only licensed carriers can transport it. I learnt this hard won lesson after having a ding dong about getting a faulty internet supplied battery returned to a well known supplier. Supply of order as nice as pie, problem with order they didn’t want to know. Eventually they began to understand their obligations under consumer rights law. A hard won success. Never again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A brand new battery will have its two vent plugs in place to prevent leakage. It will also be sealed in a heavy grade plastic wrap and then further protective wrapping to protect it. Carrier companies will transport a brand new battery. But a used one is classed as hazardous waste and only licensed carriers can transport it. I learnt this hard won lesson after having a ding dong about getting a faulty internet supplied battery returned to a well known supplier. Supply of order as nice as pie, problem with order they didn’t want to know. Eventually they began to understand their obligations under consumer rights law. A hard won success. Never again.
We had the same issue buying off the Internet to save £10 -£20. To return the battery was nearly impossible. Decided to take a hit and buy local.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had the same issue buying off the Internet to save £10 -£20. To return the battery was nearly impossible. Decided to take a hit and buy local.

That’s my philosophy as far as batteries go. And what I did notice is that as internet prices have become more competitive so have local suppliers too. But a few pounds saving outweighs the hassle if things go wrong. And touch wood batteries tend to last a good while.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are a number of good battery retailers online, including Battery Megastore and Tayna...

Have you ever had to return a duff battery to an online supplier even after having it tested locally with results available? What is your definition of “ good”. It’s like insurance you only really know what “good” is when problems arise. Forum rules prevent me from saying more.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We bought from local dealer. Personally I am happy to support them even if it costs slightly more, because the service is excellent and I can get good advice if I need it and I can trust them. This is worth far more to me and helping them survive helps employment in the local area rather than somewhere else. If we stop buying form local firms they will disappear and we will all be the worse off. I also agree if things go wrong then they will be far easier to deal with than some firm hundreds of miles away.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Have you ever had to return a duff battery to an online supplier even after having it tested locally with results available? What is your definition of “ good”. It’s like insurance you only really know what “good” is when problems arise. Forum rules prevent me from saying more.
Yep, Battery Megastore, I ordered wrong size, return was dead easy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep, Battery Megastore, I ordered wrong size, return was dead easy
So it wasn’t used then. What were the return arrangements, did Megastore courier collect?
I found dealing with a very well known internet supplier a bit like playing Russian Roulette.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have done business with Tayna they supplied me Batteries x2 for my Mobility Scooter and were first class .
Yes it’s a bit like insurance, selling is no problem, or shouldn’t be. It’s when things go wrong that you then recognise the good from poor customer service.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So it wasn’t used then. What were the return arrangements, did Megastore courier collect?
I found dealing with a very well known internet supplier a bit like playing Russian Roulette.
I think many are missing the point. The point being that if you use an Online delivery service for a battery nand the batery goes faulty bafter a couple, days, weeks or months trying to return the battery is nearly impossible especially if you have chucked away the original box and packing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think many are missing the point. The point being that if you use an Online delivery service for a battery nand the batery goes faulty bafter a couple, days, weeks or months trying to return the battery is nearly impossible especially if you have chucked away the original box and packing.

That’s my point exactly and I posted at length a while back giving a blow by blow description of the hassle.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes it’s a bit like insurance, selling is no problem, or shouldn’t be. It’s when things go wrong that you then recognise the good from poor customer service.
i check there reviews on Tayna Batteries and getting 4.9 out 5 and so far my Mobility Batteries have lasted over 2 years plus

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I take OC's point's re the possible, indeed likely, hassle if a battery needs returning. Also, that, until you have a fault you cannot really know the quality of the supplying company.

Knowing this I purchased direct from Tayna about 6 months ago. Making a saving of about £35. Great service, and the battery is fine. So for the saving I was pleased to take the risk.

Like Beachball, I had also purchased two batteries for my mobility scooter about 18months ago. I still have the scooter though its no longer needed. I keep checking the batteries. Very rarely do they need topping up. I really need to sell it.

This is their policy on faulty batteries.

Faulty Items

Although faults with batteries are very rare, we do occasionally get items that are faulty after purchase. We aim to handle all faulty items returned to us as quickly as possible to avoid inconvenience to you. We strongly suggest checking that your battery is where the fault lies as in many cases it could be a faulty alternator or boot/glovebox light sticking on that is causing the indicated problems with the battery. As many as 50% of batteries returned to us for test are simply flat and need recharging!

After a faulty battery is confirmed we will pay to ship a replacement back to to you, but where no fault is found, unlike some companies we don't charge a test fee but we do have to charge carriage back to you at cost. Any non-faulty items not collected within 3 months will be disposed of.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree that if there is no issue the savings are great however if the fault is wiht the battery returning the battery to Tanya can be an eye opener even when they agree that there is a fault. Getting a courier to take back the battery is another hurdle as in most cases the caps for the air vents are no longer to be found.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts