Battery terminal clamps

Nov 11, 2009
20,630
6,389
50,935
Visit site
I brought the caravan back from service and manoeuvred it into its new home on a storage site. I decided to take the battery out and as it will be being moved in and out I thought about some quick removal terminal clamps. There are some German one that have a positive clamp fastening for the cables which is better than the standard OEM screws that can sometimes “eat” down into the cable Once in place on the terminal you tighten up a knurled head bolt. Then final tightening is by moving a lever a bit like cycle quick removal wheels.

The eBay link is below. Has anyone any experience of this type

PS help linking to Ebay isn’t working. Guidance please.

[ebay][/ebay] 223131776165
 
Nov 6, 2006
731
5
18,885
Visit site
Not sure exactly which ones you are looking at, but I discarded the nasty blue and red affairs, and fitted side clamp types too. They are more secure, make better contact and don't corrode. They come with a secondary fixing point for your mover cables as well.
 
Oct 3, 2013
890
90
18,935
Visit site
Hello Otherclive,
If the clamps your talking about are the blue and red ones where you lift the hinged cover to release the clamp then yes I've used them in the past.Electrically they were no problem but the battery had to be removed from the battery box so that the covers could be hinged up to release the clamp(s).
The limited space between the top of the battery terminal meant the cover couldn't be hinged completely open with the battery in situ.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,630
6,389
50,935
Visit site
Still cannot get the ebay link to insert, must be doing something wrong. But the item number is 223131776165.

There isn't that much "headroom" in the battery box so I suspect that the clamps I am looking at would have the same problem as those described above. In that the tightening arm wouldn't clear the top of the battery box. I will contact the seller to see if they have measurements.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,630
6,389
50,935
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Not sure exactly which ones you are looking at, but I discarded the nasty blue and red affairs, and fitted side clamp types too. They are more secure, make better contact and don't corrode. They come with a secondary fixing point for your mover cables as well.

Chris
do you have a link, or photo please?

Clive
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,663
2,978
40,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
Still cannot get the ebay link to insert, must be doing something wrong. But the item number is 223131776165.

There isn't that much "headroom" in the battery box so I suspect that the clamps I am looking at would have the same problem as those described above. In that the tightening arm wouldn't clear the top of the battery box. I will contact the seller to see if they have measurements.

Clamps
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,663
2,978
40,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
Still cannot get the ebay link to insert, must be doing something wrong. But the item number is 223131776165.

There isn't that much "headroom" in the battery box so I suspect that the clamps I am looking at would have the same problem as those described above. In that the tightening arm wouldn't clear the top of the battery box. I will contact the seller to see if they have measurements.

Clamps

OC, to fit a link open the Reply page, then click on the little round thing to the left of the Ebay Icon. This opens two line to type in. CLEAR THE http// then Paste or insert your link from the Ebay http// link then in the next one down type your wording , then insert. And you should have it.

Screenshot-2019-04-03-19-55-20.png
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,805
214
19,935
Visit site
Hi OC.

Re:the battery clamps.

I think the cam type you enquired about are better than the 'bluered' types in respect of clamping power.

That said, two things come to mind, first is the the potential height limitation in the battery compartment and as a minor second - the cost.

I paid about £3.00 for a pair of t the bluered type and my expectaions were not high, but I am surprisingly pleased at how effective and reliable they are.

With regard to the potential height issue, I have to remove the battery retainer strap and slide the battery tray slightly forwards of the compartment body in order to clampunclamp the bluered type, a minor inconvenience.

With the cam type it might be the same procedure as (and I am not certain) the cam action of the lever will be in vertical movement, if that proves to be the case then sliding the battery tray forwards of it's compartment will be the same as for the bluered types.

At this time I see no need to change my battery connector type, if I ever need to then the cam type will be my first alternative choice.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,630
6,389
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
Still cannot get the ebay link to insert, must be doing something wrong. But the item number is 223131776165.

There isn't that much "headroom" in the battery box so I suspect that the clamps I am looking at would have the same problem as those described above. In that the tightening arm wouldn't clear the top of the battery box. I will contact the seller to see if they have measurements.

Clamps

OC, to fit a link open the Reply page, then click on the little round thing to the left of the Ebay Icon. This opens two line to type in. CLEAR THE http// then Paste or insert your link from the Ebay http// link then in the next one down type your wording , then insert. And you should have it.

Screenshot-2019-04-03-19-55-20.png

Thank you. I was using the EBay icon!
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,630
6,389
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
Still cannot get the ebay link to insert, must be doing something wrong. But the item number is 223131776165.

There isn't that much "headroom" in the battery box so I suspect that the clamps I am looking at would have the same problem as those described above. In that the tightening arm wouldn't clear the top of the battery box. I will contact the seller to see if they have measurements.

Clamps

The ebay seller has given the dimensions of the clamps

Size measured at widest points: length 57mm, width 44mm, height with lever closed 18mm, height with lever open 55mm
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,630
6,389
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Going slightly off thread, These battery clamps look good of you had nicley crimped connectors on the ends of different cables, ok they are not quick release.

Yes I had looked at these and there are others that would be worthwhile considering but I don’t have a crimping tool and like so many caravan my battery cables and mover cables are just bared at the ends and stuffed into the cable port of the clamps. Cable retention is just by screwing the two cross head screws down. Typical cheapskate caravan approach. I had one caravan some years back where the cable entry port was fitted with an arc of cylindrical metal such that the two cable tightening screws pushed it down onto the bare wires of the battery and mover cables. You don’t seem to see that type of clamp these days.

When I can get access to my tools and paraphernalia I might see if I’ve got any small tubing that I could split over a 120 degree arc.
 
Nov 6, 2006
731
5
18,885
Visit site
These:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Of-Quick-Release-Battery-Terminal-Clamps-/153436092608

Drat, forgot about not being able to post a link..
E bay item no153436092608
 

TRENDING THREADS