BBC TV This Morning

I saw a trailer for a news item about the increasing popularity of caravaning on BBC Breakfast time this morning, but had to leave for work before it came on. Did anybody see it? Did we get good or bad press?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I saw most of it, the reporter tried to give it a bad press, ie being behind one etc etc, but the family they had there made it look great, plus the van they showed inside was a fixed bed, so looked luxurious. The guy from Bailey was promoting it well of course, and they said the standard of workmanship was improving all the time.

However, there were numerous texts/emails in to say that caravans are a blot on the landscape, pulled by chelsea tractors, polluting the atmosphere, but again the featured family, said they bring economy to areas, from buying local produce and visiting attractions, plus not permanent so doesn't spoil views etc for long. Also said that they had had 22 nights away this year so far, so many more holidays that average person going abroad.

Well balanced report.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with Janet - a reasonably balanced report. But the emails read out were in the main negative.

They can be seen on the BBC website

Repeated here for info

Your Comments

To have your say on the issues raised by the programme, click on this link

Or, e-mail us at: breakfast.tv@bbc.co.uk

Please note that this is not a message board: it's a small selection from the hundreds of e-mails and texts Breakfast receives every day. For reasons of space, your comments are usually edited.

Remember to put your name on your comments. Please keep them brief: three or four sentences is an ideal length.

Caravan holidays: Thursday 6 July

I used to go caravanning with my mum and dad back in the 1960's and it was great fun. It's also much cheaper than paying today's hotel prices.

Douglas, Worthing

I'm a caravan owner and I'm fed up with impatient drivers travelling behind who put our lives and others at risk when they overtake. Caravan drivers are usually more careful and aware of their surroundings than others. More often than not it's those who break the law who find it intolerable to follow a caravan.

Dave, Bedford

Caravan holiday makers are a pain, you can never seem to overtake them, you don't see one, then 2 or three together,they clog-up the road's, at an already busy time of the year.

Tony Scott

I see nothing exciting about sitting in a box in the middle of a field.

Alan, Ulster

Never mind the usual "stuck behind caravans" moan, try being passed by a big one, towed by a Porsche at an estimated 90 mph, as I did on the southbound M5 recently. The caravan was swaying wildly and its offside wheels kicking up dust and debris from the central reservation.

N Dalton, Newbury says:

They clutter the roads are often badly driven but above all when parked at the house are an eyesore.The owners seem oblivious to local laws and restrictive covenants in their house deeds forbidding the parking of caravans. If the owners must move them then it should be at night only but best of all just leave the wretched things on a site all year round.

Keith King, Portsmouth

I have a brother in Canada, and out there they call the caravaners 'shed draggers'.

Mr Howard

I think the funnyest one is the guy from Ulster who thinks caravanning is akin to sitting in a "box in a field".

What planet is he on I wonder?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid I missed it, I was away in the caravan. (yes realy, I was).

The TV gets the elbow until her in doors wakes up and thats about mid morning.

I'm sure we get the normal bad press about holding up traffic, but then if we legally have to tow at 10mph below national speed limits then that is inevitable isn't it!! Anyway all those speeding solo cars catchup with a legally driven caravan far too quickly anyway and tail gate us for miles just because they are so close that their field of vision is cut off.

You certainly don't need a "chealsea tractor" to tow a caravan as I've established having towed my twenty foot twin axle van with a front wheel drive Laguna estate. I've had a trouble free 17 nights away this year on four occassions and not all have been rays of sunshine.

What a lot of people need to compare is the amount of revenue brought to the area by us tourist's and I'm certain that there are area's of the country that would shut down if cravans were not allowed.

Modern caravans have more luxury than a five star hotel these days and even our twenty four year old van is equally as comfortable as our home and quite livable in.

Anyway, keep on trucking (caravanning) and have a fab time.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Why have you used that phrase to discribe 4x4's? As far as I can see there is no reason for it.

As for towing a twin axle 20' with a laguna, thats your choice and you should respect the choice of others.

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
Missed the program, but I've seen some crass driving by caravanners , just the same as I have by BMW/Volvo/4x4/anything else drivers. It's easy to find something to criticise and the media have to obtain viewing figures/circulation.

Anyone know when the Top Gear with Clarkson in a caravan is due for screening? That should be even funnier than some of the stuff posted in these forums.

Nick

May 20, 2006
Visit site
who cares what people think, some people think we are all weird for enjoying time in a caravan, i think people are weird for flying abroad, the only difference perhaps is i dont criticise them as i believe everyone has a right to enjoy themselves however they see fit.

we have way more holidays than all the non vanners though.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned they can get on their jet at Luton Airport and land in Wherever. They see nothing of the countryside between point A and B. My idea of an holiday isn't getting sloshed everyday and crashing out on a beach in blistering temperatures. They then sleep until midday before starting the same routine. Two weeks later they return to Luton, looking like beetroots with a bit of pink showing here or there thats missed the sun, wearing their Spanish sombrero's and carrying their plastic Spanish donkey's. I have friends who have been doing it for years and I haven't the heart to tell them they look 10 years older than they really are. The wrinkles on their faces and necks put Michelin street maps to shame. It's a good job we aren't all the same because if they never went off to the Med each year they too might take up caravanning and then there would be no room on sites for us :O)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Just for Mr Sparkes, I was using the common nick name for this particular style piece as already quoted on the TV program. I realy don't give a monkey's **** what anyone drives as that decission has been made by them for their reasons/perceptions alone.

My point was that if we as "caravanners" are limited to a speed well below that of solo traffic, then it is inevitable that a que will build up and we will slow others down if we don't use our 18 pence by pulling over to let others pass.

Just look at the HGV situation now where often it takes a mile or more for one lorry to pass the other on the motorway due to speed limiters being fitted. The driver would prefer not to be in that situation, but if his "desk driving" transport manager has set the time schedule then the driver is in for the "inquest" on return to the depot I he fails to keep a time slot. (been there got that badge).

So let's put our paranoid defence behind us as there's plenty of other vehicles with nick names :- Hummer, Mondano, Pug, Beemer, Dagenham dustbin, white van man, to name a few.

What we should be concentrating on is promoting what is a good hobby and show how wrong the perceptions are.

With the modern "VEHICLE" of today and the well balanced and loaded caravan, together with the correct attitude from the driver all the traffic could proceed without delay.

As for blotting the landscape with caravans, just ask any site owner how much time and effort he has to put in to gain the approval of his/her community. I know of one park local to us where unless you had a helicopter you'd not know it was there. The entrance to it is discreet and at the edge of the village and the actual park is tucked away completely out of view. but they still get major objections to any improvement planning applications. Considering that the tourist's contribute over half a million pounds to the village businesses I'd ofthought that the community would of appreciated that and the job avaiability both at the park and in the village.

your thoughts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lets see if my post gets the 4x4 treatment - JOKE!

I have always said that as caravaners we have more motorists that hate us than "love" us.

This seems to be born out by the latest reports and certainly the feedback from companies like Privilege Insurance who seem to want to take a stance against inappropriate rigs.

Ask the average driver what he thinks of caravanners.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I own a classic car and follow the classic car 'scene' i.e. attend meets and shows, subscribe to forums etc. Now when I go out in my car I drive slower than I do towing my van both because the car does not go very fast and it's a major job slowing the thing down. The classic car fraternity does not get, to my knowledge, any adverse publicity in respect of its ability to create grid lock on the roads. In fact we get shown a great deal of respect. I think the only time I ever get any abuse is from the young Saxo / Nova boys in their Halfords specials who nearly always feel the need to hang out their windows and shout w$*&!r.

So why do people hate caravans? Well I'm sure I don't know. Envy is almost certainly one reason. The only other reason I can think of is that our roads are so busy and modern people seem in so much of a hurry to get anywhere that anything moving slower, caravan, truck, old folk out shopping or for a leisure drive, etc etc are seen as an unnecessary nuisance. But why not classic cars?

I wonder what the reaction would be to me towing a classic van behind my classic car?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Just for Mr Sparkes, I was using the common nick name for this particular style piece as already quoted on the TV program. I realy don't give a monkey's **** what anyone drives as that decission has been made by them for their reasons/perceptions alone.

My point was that if we as "caravanners" are limited to a speed well below that of solo traffic, then it is inevitable that a que will build up and we will slow others down if we don't use our 18 pence by pulling over to let others pass.

Just look at the HGV situation now where often it takes a mile or more for one lorry to pass the other on the motorway due to speed limiters being fitted. The driver would prefer not to be in that situation, but if his "desk driving" transport manager has set the time schedule then the driver is in for the "inquest" on return to the depot I he fails to keep a time slot. (been there got that badge).

So let's put our paranoid defence behind us as there's plenty of other vehicles with nick names :- Hummer, Mondano, Pug, Beemer, Dagenham dustbin, white van man, to name a few.

What we should be concentrating on is promoting what is a good hobby and show how wrong the perceptions are.

With the modern "VEHICLE" of today and the well balanced and loaded caravan, together with the correct attitude from the driver all the traffic could proceed without delay.

As for blotting the landscape with caravans, just ask any site owner how much time and effort he has to put in to gain the approval of his/her community. I know of one park local to us where unless you had a helicopter you'd not know it was there. The entrance to it is discreet and at the edge of the village and the actual park is tucked away completely out of view. but they still get major objections to any improvement planning applications. Considering that the tourist's contribute over half a million pounds to the village businesses I'd ofthought that the community would of appreciated that and the job avaiability both at the park and in the village.

your thoughts.
steve in leo have u got a stuttering key board

May 21, 2008
Visit site

your thoughts.
Just call me "arkwright" G G G Granvil. Darned forum glitch again I guess. Did mail the mods but the must be off rocking again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That says it all Joby!

I think a classic car travelling slowly is "acceptable" because most drivers would stop and look at it if it were parked. I always enjoy seeing a classic car on the road and will slow down to "catch more of it".

But Lord above! - when I used to travel a lot on business - I used to get frustrated at a caravan holding us up! Even when it were possible to pull over to let the backlog get by, most never did.

I have towed a caravan and other things (Horse Boxes in the main) for years and was taught to be considerate to other road users who are not on holiday, who may be on business, who may not want to poodle along in a great big procession headed by a guy towing a caravan and is not botherred about what is behind him/her.

If you want to know why most motorists want us off the road you only have to watch some caravanners when towing and read some of the posts on here.

Sorry David - but your roundabout post is a classic!

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
Couldn't agree more CliveV.

It's the minority of inconsiderate, thoughtless caravanners who obviously have no concept of what other road users are doing who to a large extent are responsible for the miscopnceptions perpetrated by the media who of course need their circulation figures as well.

I must admit, that both here and abroad I am treated with far more consideration when towing by professional drivers eg truckers than I am by most ordinary motorists. Maybe that says something as well.

Nick

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
I would propose that we should all encourage the negative comments, to put people off. Have you tried to book a last minuite break, even on a C.L.

It's getting past a joke.

ttfn

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I own a classic car and follow the classic car 'scene' i.e. attend meets and shows, subscribe to forums etc. Now when I go out in my car I drive slower than I do towing my van both because the car does not go very fast and it's a major job slowing the thing down. The classic car fraternity does not get, to my knowledge, any adverse publicity in respect of its ability to create grid lock on the roads. In fact we get shown a great deal of respect. I think the only time I ever get any abuse is from the young Saxo / Nova boys in their Halfords specials who nearly always feel the need to hang out their windows and shout w$*&!r.

So why do people hate caravans? Well I'm sure I don't know. Envy is almost certainly one reason. The only other reason I can think of is that our roads are so busy and modern people seem in so much of a hurry to get anywhere that anything moving slower, caravan, truck, old folk out shopping or for a leisure drive, etc etc are seen as an unnecessary nuisance. But why not classic cars?

I wonder what the reaction would be to me towing a classic van behind my classic car?
Hi Martyn,

You have hit the nail on the head. Everybody these days is in a rush. Nobody on the roads has time for anybody else. The last thing a rep or a HGV driver wants is a caravan spoiling his progress. I was going up a hill last week (towing) doing 50MPH a bin lorry was trying to pass me but he just did'nt have the power to overtake me and was causing a queue to form behind him on the outside lane. He had his lights flashing and his horn sounding at me all because I was steadily making progress in my own lane. Really he should have sat behind me until we hit the straight and then gone for the overtake. What a dickhead!

I do a 400 mile round trip (not towing) visiting our daughter and her family who live in the North-East. It's M6 and A69 all the way. believe me I'd rather have a tourer in front of me any day than a HGV driver. I've seen a few HGV's go for the most dangerous of overtakes but can't say I've seen the same behaviour from a tourer. Maybe we value our lives and outfits more.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I share your view Nicholas, you often find "professional drivers" more understanding and assistive on the roads.

If caravanners the minority of caravanners who hold the traffic back behind them were to pull over and let the cars pass then they would have less stress. You see, all the traffic would be up front where you are looking naturally instead of having to review your mirrors constantly thus taking your eye off the road ahead.

Before anyone starts, I don't mean that you should not look in your mirrors but doing as suggested would enable better consentratipon on the road ahead.

Hopefully then the solo car driver who insists on mimicking a japanese kamakazi pilot by overtaking at the slightest sniff of a straight bit of road and cutting in to avoid the sharp bend ahead or the car comming the other way with lights blazing and of coarse the time to remonstrate the mirror imaged "Winston Churchill" to signify that it was the second time today that's happened, will then be relegated back to just dashing around like a headless chicken.

I must admit to finding it hilarious watching other road users getting woundup about situations they have no control over (road rage) but at nearly every opportunity I do pull over to allow traffic past and about 10% of the time I'll get a "friendly" wave of appreciation, after all I am putting my self out to allow others to make porgress. Which is by the way, part of the "Highway Code".

If everyone showed a bit of consideration then the world would be a better place to be in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Spot on Steve - Only point I would make is that I can honestly say I get more "thank you" waves, "bibs of the horn" than 10%.

And I concur on the HGV drivers - they invariably say "thanks" when we pull over to let those caught up behind us pass.

For those who do not pull over I always think - If you deliberatly blocked another pedestrian whilst walking on the pavement by walking in front of them, what do you think the reaction would be?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with regards to pulling over - the problem is finding a suitable lay by, etc. with enough room for the car and van without too much hassle of pulling in. I have often done it with the motor home and also the caravan before.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
So everyone when is it appropriate to pull in?

Last weekend we travelled along a single a road for some 30 miles the majority of which I travelled at slightly above the national speed limit for a caravan but within the overall speed limit of the road. Only once during a fairly long hill climb did we cause any sort of bunching; in fact we still maintained 40.

The problem lies with the fact that people aren't aware of the speed limits for Caravans or trucks for that matter.

I have heard of a situation with one previous employer where a disgruntled driver took exception that a he sat behind one of our trucks for around 15 miles along the A11 when the driver pulled into a lay by to take a rest the car driver followed him in and promptly told him that it unacceptable.

At this moment the truck driver told to him to shut up and the car driver then assaulted the driver truck driver causing him eye damaged luckily not permanent and the loss of several weeks pay.

I know it a strong case but the problem comes from passing your test at a young age and never referring to the Highway Code again for any guidance.

Two points come to mind; the Police in our area use an old caravan attached to a Volvo V70 for traffic training ( at least that's What I think they are doing with it!!) Therefore they must be trying to simulate our own experiences.

Secondly the reason that truck drivers give caravaners the time of the day is the fact that they know A) we driving vehicles often for which we've possibly had no formal training in B) they understand and experience gradients, cross winds etc everyday of the week C) They get tarred with the same brush as us often.

Monkeys Husband

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts