Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I have always used a Weber small Smokey Joe coal BBQ. never had any issues and probably does us as a small family.

However at Easter with extra guests & family around I struggled to keep up with demand for food with it only being small. lol

My much better half thinking forward to fathers day next month has offered to replace it with a larger model or even a gas version.

Thought I would take this opportunity of asking around, what do other vanners use,
Gas or Coal.?
BBQ or Cadac type cookers.
How many do you usually cook for & type of food you cook. to hopefully give me some ideas for suitability & what to request.

Hope you can advice
Cheers
John

ps, could this be an alternative motive for me to do most of the cooking in future lol.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

Rather than replacing BBQ with a bigger one, have you considered part cooking the food on or in the conventional cooker, and only finishing them on the BBQ. This helps to ensure the food is thoroughly cooked through but the finishing on the BBQ gives it that flavour, and its a lot quicker.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I use a small charcoal barbie, we don't barbecue very often and there are only three of us, plus one if one of the lad's mates comes with us: It does the job well enough. I'd like a gas one but we don't barbecue enough to justify the expense - especially as our caravan isn't kept at home so every time we wanted a barbecue in the garden I'd have to trek over to the storage site to fetch a gas bottle!

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Prof john

But I do a lot of BBQ cooking with the lid on, slow smoked cooking, I have tried starting the food in the oven but it doesn't seam to have the same flavour.

Hence wondering what others use or prefer as I dont know if a caddac style or gas gives the same effect.

The smokey is great in itself but a bit on the small side.

Cheers
John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
A cadac is brilliant for quantity, speed and keeping cooking smells/fat spatters and husband out of the van. However it does not give the "barbecue" flavour as it is really a grill not a barbecue. I love it and we have had some great meals off it though.
mel

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Mel said:
A cadac is brilliant for quantity, speed and keeping cooking smells/fat spatters and husband out of the van. However it does not give the "barbecue" flavour as it is really a grill not a barbecue. I love it and we have had some great meals off it though.
mel
+1......... wouldn't be without it :)

TRENDING THREADS