Be Bright Be Seen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just wondering how many drivers/caravan users keep high vis vests in their cars just in case they breakdown.

The guy who was on the hardshoulder changing an off side wheel of his caravan, on the M4 tonight does now because I threw him one to put on, because all he had was a black coat and couldn't be seen until you were quite close. He was lucky not to get hit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe it is essential to have high visibility vests for each person in the car in certain countries of Europe so why not adopt this safe approach in this country?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On similar lines some countries require two warning triangles in case of breakdown - Spain being one I believe - one behind the vehicle and one ahead. Now if for any reason you have to uncouple the 'van from the car would you then require two more for the 'van? I bought mine at a local Poundsaver shop for 99p each! How they manage to make and sell at that price amazes me. As for high vis. jackets you see so many dumped at the roadside . . . . I wonder how well they would take to going through the wash? Also when getting them remember they may well have to go over outdoor clothing so get them BIG.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I used to do shunting (off Felixstowe docks into the haulage yards) they used to get mucky really quickly, so got washed now and again. They'll take a wash or two ok, as long as it's not too hot.

I always have kept a couple in each motor, and also have long and short hi-vis coats too in readiness for the coming season. The coats aren't too bad in the rain although they always tend to leak a bit where the Scotchlite is stitched on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are now signs alongside the Freench motorways recommending the use of these. They certainly are a good idea, but if we're not carefull we will end up filling the boot completely full of safety kit!!!!

May 20, 2005
Visit site
There are now signs alongside the Freench motorways recommending the use of these. They certainly are a good idea, but if we're not carefull we will end up filling the boot completely full of safety kit!!!!
I have the same problem with the boat by the time I have put on all the safty equipment theres no room for me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the same problem with the boat by the time I have put on all the safty equipment theres no room for me.
Get a larger boat - I fully understand as my brother is always complaining about this as he sails a Solo class boat and when entering regattas he is frustrated by all the regulations although he always conforms.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Thats the problem I did get a bigger boat which means I can go further out to sea which means I needed more safety equipment which means i need a bigger boat catch 22. I had a RNLI sea safty check done this year he advised that I carry a life raft and have another set of safety equipment in the life raft

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know where to get these jackets - adults and kiddie sizes? For the past 20 years we have travelled the A32 Alton road at night regulary and this has made me think 'what if we were to break down' the safest thing as we all know is to get out of the car, but with a family on a country road where do you stand and how easily would you be seen? I will definately be buying some of these ASAP. Can I presume somewhere like Halfords??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thats the problem I did get a bigger boat which means I can go further out to sea which means I needed more safety equipment which means i need a bigger boat catch 22. I had a RNLI sea safty check done this year he advised that I carry a life raft and have another set of safety equipment in the life raft
Paul to hell with the costs, as long as you are enjoying life, and it would appear that you are. Therefore go for it. However there is one little consolation as you do not need life jackets, etc. whilst caravanning - Good luck with your hobby, my brother does not seem to be in your league.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul and Ruth,

One slight problem I have found is getting children of a certain age to wear the things in case they are seen by friends looking like nerds ( or whatever the current word is ). So only break down well away from the friends usual haunts. Like outer Mongolia. Hope this is of help!

Mike E.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Paul and Ruth,

One slight problem I have found is getting children of a certain age to wear the things in case they are seen by friends looking like nerds ( or whatever the current word is ). So only break down well away from the friends usual haunts. Like outer Mongolia. Hope this is of help!

Mike E.
If you buy one make sure its both flouresant and has the reflective strips/patches on. Former for daylight, later for night time.

I have carried one in all my cars/vans just in case. I always have a habit of stopping to help other people (especially elderly and women) so that and a towrope stand me well. Cant remember the number of people I have stopped for and give them a tow to a safer area.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts