Bed expander

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have a faint memory of a device that clipped on to one of the twin beds in a two berth caravan, and made it wider, whilst still leaving a gap between the beds to get up in the night. Are these still about, where can I get one, and does anyone know what load it can carry? Thank you
Jan

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I can imagine what you mean. It shouldn't be too difficult to contrive with a suitable piece of ply (12mm?). If your van has the typical pull-out slats, it could sit on the same ledge, with some locating pegs fitting into holes drilled in the ledge. The outer edge would probably need stiffening with a batten, and it would need at least 3 'legs' ....or possibly a hinge-down flap?

Presumably, you would then just use one backrest as the infill (preferably placed on the outer side).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agree with the above. I would try and use poplar ply as its stronger and lighter than birch. I used it with drawings supplied by Swift for my fifth berth as the original was missing on purchase, and at the time Swift didn't supply one as a spare.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I know just what you mean... I googled 'caravan bed extender' and in IMAGES it was the first picture, which suggests that 'caravanbreakers.com' might have such in stock. The intention was to use both the seat squab and back to make a wider single bed. If you do decide to make one DIY then that could determine the size!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts