Bed for a lardass

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Morning folks!!

I know this isn't strictly a caravanning question but as I'm a potential caravanner of the future I thought I would post it here, has anybody come across a suitable bed for me?

I am 6' tall and weigh 22 stone and I am having terrible trouble finding a bed for camping, I've tried several inflatable mattresses but find in the morning most of the air has been squeezed out and I end up on the hard floor, and I've tried using the sun bed from the back garden but kept on waking up lying on the hard metal bits of the frame.

I know the easy answer is to lose weight but I don't want to wait another two years before I can go camping again.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Kevin,

Have you thought about a memory foam mattress topper? they come in different thicknesses, my daughter uses one in her tent. The only drawback is they are heavy to lug about.

Val.

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Kevin,

I weight 17 stone, and have gone through my caravan bed a few times, as they are quite feable. I made 2 wooden supports to prop up and strengthen the slats on my bed.....

My wife now only has me to worry about and not the bed collapsing!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You can get those self-inflating mattresses in several thicknesses and qualities, and the better quality ones don't squash down completely. If you get a good quality one then you might find it copes with your weight - ask at a good camping shop and they'll give you sound advice.

If it's a caravan bed, then one of the fixed bed caravans should be OK, especially the ones with the metal frame supporting the mattress (such as the Bailey Indiana which we've just looked at). My OH is over 6' tall, but lighter weight. Our van bed is plenty long enough for him. The slats under the bed are those bentwood beech ones, which fit into slots. Because he has a bad back he's put extra slats under certain bits of the bed - an easy DIY job - and I imagine it would now support a horse.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts