Bed Making

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Good morning from a dry site in Looe. Bit of a personal question but how do you make up your beds? I ask this because the subject came up on site and several people said that they turned the seats/ bunks what ever you want to call them over which gave a flatter bed and that it was the correct way. What's your opinion turn seats over or leave as is?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good morning from a dry site in Looe. Bit of a personal question but how do you make up your beds? I ask this because the subject came up on site and several people said that they turned the seats/ bunks what ever you want to call them over which gave a flatter bed and that it was the correct way. What's your opinion turn seats over or leave as is?
When we made up the front seats into the double we never turned them over and did not find them uncomfortable. But I guess a lot depends on the shape and conformity of the seat cushions when layed down. But if reversing some of the cushions gives a more comfortable nights sleep then just try it. There’s no one size fits all in many aspects of caravanning.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We've tried both ways and backside up appears a bit flatter....seat cushions that is 🙂. The minor problem is the raised edges of the seat cushions. Doesn't matter which way up, one edge is always a bit higher than the other.

Try both and use what you think is best.

The only thing that I wonder about is that some of my cushions have a black material on the back and could this be more resilient to wear when up against the walls or boards or slats. So topside down onto the wooden slats might wear the seat cushions.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
We've tried both ways and backside up appears a bit flatter....seat cushions that is 🙂. The minor problem is the raised edges of the seat cushions. Doesn't matter which way up, one edge is always a bit higher than the other.

Try both and use what you think is best.

The only thing that I wonder about is that some of my cushions have a black material on the back and could this be more resilient to wear when up against the walls or boards or slats. So topside down onto the wooden slats might wear the seat cushions.
Hi, that was my thoughts. I've never reversed any of the cushions in all the years of caravaning but as said in original post quite a few people we met last week said they were told by caravan sales staff that to turn them over was the correct way.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
We always turn the cushions over to make the double in our van and add a fairly thin mattress topper which protects the cushions and helps conceal the joins and the remaining unevenness caused by the knee rolls on the cushions.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I used to turn ours over but discovered worn areas where the fabric rubs on the ends of the wooden strips forming the bed base - so now I don't turn them over - but do ensure that the knee rolls are down the outsides of the made up bed.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
When we had a caravan that wasn't a fixed bed (mistake!) we turned the cushions over and also used a 2" mattress topper from Dunelm which was reasonably comfortable.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I take it you are looking at the front lounge area. The instructions in our Avondale were to turn the seat over and sleep on the backs but not seen it given with other makes. We would also have the knee roll at the outside to avoid a bump in the middle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts