Bed sizes - under 6'3"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"British Standard" beds are 6'3" long for singles/doubles and 6'6" for queen/king size.

Why do so many caravans have longitudinal berths less than 6'3" and therefore only suitable for children?

At home, a room can't legally be called a bedroom if it won't accomodate a standard single bed.

Cars can't be called 4/5 seaters unless they'll accomodate 4/5 adults. Others are often known as 2+2.

Shouldn't "4-berth" caravans be called 2+2 in most cases.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And while we are on the subject of beds, what layout could accommodate our son in law who is 6'7". (Older style vans please)

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Jim and Pauline,

Hubby is 6'5" and have had both problems with headroom and bedlengths in caravans.

Our van has wrap around seating, so the problem is solved, should we choose to make up the double bed.....coincidently has been never so far!!! We have also found that our present van (Bessacarr) has lots of head room, and he can stand up straight with no problems. I have heard that Adria have also got lots of head room also.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Jim and Pauline,

Hubby is 6'5" and have had both problems with headroom and bedlengths in caravans.

Our van has wrap around seating, so the problem is solved, should we choose to make up the double bed.....coincidently has been never so far!!! We have also found that our present van (Bessacarr) has lots of head room, and he can stand up straight with no problems. I have heard that Adria have also got lots of head room also.
Just a little addition. We have had a look at vans with fixed double beds, and with me at 5'10" there is just not enough space.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a building surveyor there I know of no set minimum dimensions for room sizes. There was at one time the Parker Morris standards but these were generally guild lines which local authorities adopted for their house designs. Private speculative builders ignored these recommendations. A room could accomodate a cot and still be referred to as a bedroom. Private housing design is one aspect which is wide open to interpretation and abuse regarding room sizes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It may not be against building regulations but it's an offence under the Trade Descriptions Act to describe a room as a bedroom if an adult size bed can't be accomodated. At least one builder has been prosecuted over this in Staffordshire.

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
On the theme of bed sizes: we are considering the Senator Indiana. The portion of the bed chopped off to access the toilet/shower is on the side of the bed I normally sleep on. I am wondering if this has caused a problem for anyone with feet hanging out of bed etc. ( I am 5'10" tall )

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Before purchasing a caravan with a fixed bed (and the corner cut off) check the price of a replacement mattress. I understand these can be extortionate!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts