Bedding help

May 14, 2024
Visit site
We have hired a touring caravan in August and I believe it is a swift 4 berth. The front coverts to a double bed and there is a fixed double bed too. We have never stayed in a caravan before. This is for a sporting event. I have no idea what to take bedding wise. Is the front bed comfortable. I have researched a little and it looks like you turn the cushions over so the bed is flat. Is this uncomfortable? Is it best to have a duvet to sleep on top of? I assume the mattress on the actual bed is ok to sleep on and will just need a fitted sheet?

Last question, how cold can it get? Will we need our duvets or just some light bedding?

Any help you can give is helpful. Thank you.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
For what it's worth we have a 2 berth so the front seats convert into the bed, big double or 2 smallish singles. We generally convert to double, spread a throw over the top and sleep in sleeping bags. It's comfortable but I suppose every caravan is different as is everyone's preference in mattress firmness, ours is quite firm.

The caravan will have heating that you can leave on overnight if its cold. In August I doubt that you'll need it, but without knowing what the temperature will be it's impossible to say.

How long are you staying in the caravan and will you have EHU (Electric Hook Up)?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you think about it, the type of foam you need for a seat tends to be considerably firmer than the foam you would normally choose for a mattress, so seats that convert to beds are often not as comfortable as proper mattress.

But ultimately its very much a personal preference.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have had front beds as you describe. Our last caravan had them. …..a Sprite. . Always slept well on them. We used sleeping bags and in August you are unlikely to feel cold. If no sleeping bags a duvet works well too.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We had a two berth caravan and use to have sleeping bags with me very tall had my own size one and my wife had hers we found they were plenty through out the season

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have a 4 berth and use duvets and a under sheet on the main bed. When we have used the end bed we have put a lightweight topper on it and duvet.
Heating all depends on the weather.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
The fixed bed will be shaped( rounded off corners) but a normal double fitted sheet will work with a bit of tucking. Then double duvet and pillows.
For the front bed, an easy option is to take two double duvets with duvet covers on. Then just chuck one on the made up front bed to sleep on top of, have the other one over. Trying to get a fitted sheet on a front bed is a nightmare.
Your other option is sleeping bags; personally can’t stand them, but others think they are OK.
Enjoy your trip, please ask as much as you like, we will try and help.
Who knows, you may return a born again caravanner 😀
Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts