Been there , done that. Observations from a first timer !

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Having just returned from my first ever foreign touring holiday ( encouraged by forum members to take the plunge I add !) here are my observations.

I wouldn't attempt to go too far south if I only had a 2 week holiday. France is a big country and if you live in the north you need 3 days just to get anywhere in the south.

If you don't go too far south don't expect much diference in weather than Southern England.

The roads are no problem to drive on, why pay expensive toll fares on many routes.Use them just to avoid built up areas.

The north has many interesting attractions, and the shopping is as good as anywhere in the south. Self catering is a pleasure with so many goodies to sample and wine is so,so, cheap !

Diesel fuel is up to 20p a litre cheaper but petrol can be more expensive than home prices.

Using debit and credit cards is easy everywhere.

Continental campsites are generally cheaper than British equivalents.

Unless you know where you are going,buying camping cheques and the like could limit your choice of destination and not save you as much as you think.

For those of us who like to use our own bathroom and showers be prepared for poor or distant facilities for emptying loos and waste water.

For those who like privacy be prepared for mixed loo and shower blocks with urinals on view !

Be prepared to see hordes of people in various states of dress heading towards the toilet blocks clutching toilet bags, towels, toilet rolls et al.

In late or early season it can be very cold.Many shower blocks are unheated and open to the elements.

Would I go again ?

Yes

Is it better than Britain ?

Not necessarily, depends on your expectations and needs

Will it cost more ?

Almost certainly if you travel a good distance.The ferry fee alone covers a decent amount of mileage in the UK

Opinion based on a four week holiday from north to south and back, stopping at 6 sites of varying quality. Total mileage driven 2850 miles. Cost for four weeks mostly self catering and free attractions £2000 excluding alcohol imports which, if treated as a saving, could reduce the cost of the holiday !

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
You have lost me with advice on getting from north to south of France.

Do you mean three days from North of UK to south of France or from Calais.

We've driven to Spain in a day with caravan from the ferry so I'm a little lost on your take on travel.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Jazzman, Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant you need 3 days to travel comfortably from the North of Britain to South of France.

Many years ago I drove from the North West to Lloret de Mar solo in 24 hours.I spent 2 days recovering ! I guess you can make Spain in one day from the ferry but at what cost ?

Calais to ,say Gerona, just over the border in Spain is 762 miles.Using motorway all the way you would have to drive at 70MPH+ to allow for hold ups, breaks and delays. You would increase stress levels as you are driving at an higher speed and for long periods, you would be knackered on arrival and the first couple of days would be used recovering. You have to repeat this on the way home too !

The cost is not only lost "holiday" but a dramatic increase in fuel cost and toll fees.

My point is is it worth it for a 2 week holiday and anyone contemplating going for the first time should be aware France is a big country to cross, bigger than it looks on a map !

Fair comment ?

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Rioja,Glad that overall you enjoyed it,when first started going many years ago we went for 2 weeks but always found that(same as in UK of course)when you get to the first weekend you start counting down to your return so for the last 10 years we go for 3 weeks and you can get further without strain and by the third week you almost look forward to coming home,this feeling last about ten minutes! :eek:)

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
If only one person drives the long hauls could be a bind, we both share the driving.

First headed of to the south of France for the sun a lot of years back due to bad weather on the Britany coast, a hurried plan for a two day trip ended up as a 1 day pleasurable drive.

Our drives to the south have been mainly plain sailing compared to UK.

With good planning and shared driving the southern European sun is a fairly easy reach on French roads.

(Just a balance to your new experience)

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Jazzman,you are lucky my wife whilst she can drive will not tow the van so yours truly does it all ,but yes if both were to drive it would be fairly comfortable to cover the distance.That sais we now tend to stick to the Dordogne or the coast down as far a Royan area as this is a comfortable distance and nice areas as well.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
ps. France is a big country but easier to travel than UK

Summer trip too Spain we stop near Perpignan straight from Dunkerque.

Wife and I driving, three teenager sons and my parents.

We're not "knackered" and Pop and Mum were happy & comfortable watching the boys DVD's and quite up for stroll before dinner.

Coffee maker and fridge with food in the car and cruise control set, its a long but stress free cruise.

By the time we set pitch and paid for a nights stay we just pay a toll and get it over and done with.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Jazzman,you are lucky my wife whilst she can drive will not tow the van so yours truly does it all ,but yes if both were to drive it would be fairly comfortable to cover the distance.That sais we now tend to stick to the Dordogne or the coast down as far a Royan area as this is a comfortable distance and nice areas as well.
Royan area is great but the lads out grew it, our lads are water sport mad so it has to be Spain for now.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Last year we went down as far as Royan from Cherbourg, we found this distance to to be ok for a 3 week period. This year she who must be obayed said that she wanted to go to Biarritz, we decided to get the ferry from Plymouth to Santander. Ok so its a lot dearer than the shorter crossings but when your car only does about 20 mpg towing and we completed the crossing in 20 hours, 2 good meals on board, evening entertainment & a good nights sleep made it well worth while. Plus we had a few nights in Spain, & then drove back up the West coast of France to Cherbourg.

It was a completley stress free holiday.

Graham W.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jazman, Yes, you are lucky that you have more than one driver. I was making observations in my original post not recommendations ! I agree with yours about the French roads too. For me, doing it again, I would make stops longer rather than having 2 or 3 days of continual driving. There again, I have as much time as I want.You also have 7 people which reduces cost per head so to speak and makes the effort more worthwhile in comparison to say, getting on a plane.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Maddy, Glad you picked up on this one as I wanted to thank you for your recommendation. St Remy is the perfect base for touring as you suggested. Mon Plasir is a well run, spotlessly tidy site.The first impression was that we were in a very nice open prison and I missed a view of sorts because of the very high hedges, however, the Mistral started blowing and I could see why ! We had sun for the 12 days we were there but the wind blew almost constantly. This brought the temperatures down in the evening and we ate in the awning every night bar one which was a disappointment. The other major disappointment was the pool was FREEZING and there was no way I was going in ! The biggest advantage besides the central location was the local Intermarche , which , as we love cooking, could have taken me years to eat my way through ! what choice ! Couple that with the superb weekly market and we were happy bunnies ! We took trips to Pont de Gard, Les Baux, Arles for the rice festival, around the Luberon and 4 visits to the Carmargue ( which was my idea of heaven despite the wind !). It is a very long drive to Provence,we started non auto route from Zeebruge to just north of Dijon ( and was only an hour behind someone who used the autoroute to the same site) but the following day we realised the traffic, particularly small tractors pulling grapes, meant traffic was slow going through the Burgundy vineyards. Took the auto route from there. Good holiday, will do it again one day. Many thanks for your help !

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Maddy, Glad you picked up on this one as I wanted to thank you for your recommendation. St Remy is the perfect base for touring as you suggested. Mon Plasir is a well run, spotlessly tidy site.The first impression was that we were in a very nice open prison and I missed a view of sorts because of the very high hedges, however, the Mistral started blowing and I could see why ! We had sun for the 12 days we were there but the wind blew almost constantly. This brought the temperatures down in the evening and we ate in the awning every night bar one which was a disappointment. The other major disappointment was the pool was FREEZING and there was no way I was going in ! The biggest advantage besides the central location was the local Intermarche , which , as we love cooking, could have taken me years to eat my way through ! what choice ! Couple that with the superb weekly market and we were happy bunnies ! We took trips to Pont de Gard, Les Baux, Arles for the rice festival, around the Luberon and 4 visits to the Carmargue ( which was my idea of heaven despite the wind !). It is a very long drive to Provence,we started non auto route from Zeebruge to just north of Dijon ( and was only an hour behind someone who used the autoroute to the same site) but the following day we realised the traffic, particularly small tractors pulling grapes, meant traffic was slow going through the Burgundy vineyards. Took the auto route from there. Good holiday, will do it again one day. Many thanks for your help !
Hi Rioja

What a difference a few weeks make! The pool was lovely and warm at the start of Aug, just a bit busy at times, although we too had the mistral a couple of days and it really cools it down. A Belgium friend that has been visiting for over 25 years said the wind was the worst they had known over such a prolonged period, he was there August and Sept. Try and make it for the St Remy festival some time (Aug 10th ish)although its VERY busy you see the town in a different way.

glad you enjoyed it though

Regards

Maddy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts