Been told my wife car tyres are 7& 8 year old still in thread one had a puncture

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But my wife car does not do much mileage now last year was 400 miles when she was working it was 650 miles a week .
Think about this, you do more miles in a caravan and replace the tyres at 7 years old, but only 400 miles in your wifes car, change the tyres it is sitting around a lot more getting UV perished.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Think about this, you do more miles in a caravan and replace the tyres at 7 years old, but only 400 miles in your wifes car, change the tyres it is sitting around a lot more getting UV perished.
This is perfectly true, and the threat of being charged with an unsafe tyre would be enough to make me change the tyre. I am afraid mileage does not come into the equation.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The only person i care about is my wife who trusts me completely and it her car . Always make responsible decisions about safely

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is perfectly true, and the threat of being charged with an unsafe tyre would be enough to make me change the tyre. I am afraid mileage does not come into the equation.
Why do you say it unsafe because the puncture has been repaired and it in the photo"s below

Attachments

• DSC03099.JPG
    DSC03099.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC03098.JPG
    DSC03098.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just took my wife car to ATS and explained about the Tyre that had a puncture now repaired they check it and it passed with flying colours

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Need to retain a sense of proportion whilst I’m quite conservative on tyres Beachballs not had any advice from two national tyre outlets to say it’s unsafe. Nor has it picked up any MoT advisory notification. My own concern would be having tyres on an axle with markedly different tread depths. May not be good in some weather conditions if rapid steering action needs to be taken IE wet summer roads after a dry spell, autumn winter heavy on leaves/slush or snow/ice.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Need to retain a sense of proportion whilst I’m quite conservative on tyres Beachballs not had any advice from two national tyre outlets to say it’s unsafe. Nor has it picked up any MoT advisory notification. My own concern would be having tyres on an axle with markedly different tread depths. May not be good in some weather conditions if rapid steering action needs to be taken IE wet summer roads after a dry spell, autumn winter heavy on leaves/slush or snow/ice.
After looking at this took it to our motor mechanic he had look at the tyre in question he check the depth and said 6.5 a bit different to Kwikfit the MOT is due in August .
So both tyres at the rear of car have the same make .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
After looking at this took it to our motor mechanic he had look at the tyre in question he check the depth and said 6.5 a bit different to Kwikfit the MOT is due in August .
BB, purely academic, do you apply the same criteria to your caravan tyres?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So a 7-8 year old tyre and your wife was doing 650 miles per week when working is 27000 miles for a 42 week year and it’s still at 6.5 mm tread depth. Uhm.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So a 7-8 year old tyre and your wife was doing 650 miles per week when working is 27000 miles for a 42 week year and it’s still at 6.5 mm tread depth. Uhm.
But one thing you forgot my wife retired in 2016 the car tyre would be 6 years old and the one in question was 7 years so that makes 1 year only and we are talking of rear tyres not front.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But one thing you forgot my wife retired in 2016 the car tyre would be 6 years old and the one in question was 7 years so that makes 1 year only and we are talking of rear tyres not front.
Oh sorry I thought your wife went back to work during the pandemic. Best to leave it now eh?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
By the way my wife a fully trained nurse she was SEN, RGN, RM and a Health visitor for 22 years working over 40 year period for NHS and she help out at the local hospital near home (Pandemic)
Yes I will leave this thread, no point in trying to help. any more.
Dont blind me with facts my mind is made up.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
When I had my Astra (older model) 52 plate original tyres were still on at six years there were eventually replaced one at a time but always with Firestone which is was was on when I bought car.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes I will leave this thread, no point in trying to help. any more.
Dont blind me with facts my mind is made up.
Hi Hutch you have help we might see how it goes but it might be replaced in the near future so we have a matching new pair on my wife car .(y)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I had tyre blowout from a very deep pothole not long after having it fitted. There was no obvious damage to the tyre.. It was during the first lockdown and the poxey emergency jack broke on me so had a two hour wait for the RAC. Although the tyre looked like it could be refitted, I didn't want it on the car for obvious reasons, so had a new one fitted. I was careful to ensure that the tyre garage put "damaged tyre - replacement recommended" in the notes on the receipt. I subsequently made a successful claim against the council and got compensated (after several weeks)! (y) It helped my case that there were numerous complaints on Fixmystreet about the potholes here. Wasn't long after I put my claim in they repaired the road.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts