Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Is German beer readily available in France?, it may seem an odd question but I have developed an allergic reaction to the additives in uk lager / beer ( 2 weeks of tinnitus, hearing loss finally ending in 6hrs of constant vomiting) German beer, brewed to their purity laws does not have this effect.

We are heading to Brittany for 2 weeks in August and I would like to know if I have to take supplies with me, though what customs might suspect if they see me taking a bootfull of beer INTO France, I don't know!.

Also, do our EHU leads fit into the French posts?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no reason why you should not take a supply of beer with you, after all we are members of the EU! Not sure about the ready supply of German beer in France simply because I don't go looking for it. What about French beer? Or better still stick to wine.

Many campsites in France now use the standard European connector CEE17) that we use in the UK but some of the older sites still use 2 pin connectors so its advisable to take a Continental adaptor with you, available for abou a fiver from a caravan accessory shop.

David

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pat,

If you are planning on using electric hook up in France, particularly but not exclusively with the older French style plugs then be aware that their neutral and live wires can often be reversed (reversed polarity). You should take a polarity tester with you. These plug in to a mains socket and normally have a system of three lights. Depending on which ones come on, you can see whether you are OK or have reversed polarity. Also make up or have made up a short piece of electric cable with a male blue plug on one end and female on the other. When wiring them up, swap the live and neutral over on one plug so if you do find yourself with reverse polarity, you insert this short cable in to the line and Bob's your uncle.

On beer have definitely seen lots of Belgian beer in France but not sure aout German beer.

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pat,

If you are planning on using electric hook up in France, particularly but not exclusively with the older French style plugs then be aware that their neutral and live wires can often be reversed (reversed polarity). You should take a polarity tester with you. These plug in to a mains socket and normally have a system of three lights. Depending on which ones come on, you can see whether you are OK or have reversed polarity. Also make up or have made up a short piece of electric cable with a male blue plug on one end and female on the other. When wiring them up, swap the live and neutral over on one plug so if you do find yourself with reverse polarity, you insert this short cable in to the line and Bob's your uncle.

On beer have definitely seen lots of Belgian beer in France but not sure aout German beer.
Sorry I mean't Garfield

May 18, 2010
Visit site
After serving 12 years of my 22 years in the Army in Germany, I can understand why German beer suits you, hic! Just drinking some now after the England game waiting for all the Noise later if Germany win.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
my hubby likes leffe. Talking of additives in things hubby can't eat the english processed (rubber) cheeses anymore. French cheese fine!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts