Being Upfront.. what is required by law?

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Just joined the forum today. I have an old, low value caravan which I am going to tow to mid france (and back!). Do I need to get any permissions, extended cover, or indeed notify my car insurers. (The van is not insured, and I am happy with that.)I have towed it in the UK without notifying my insurers, now wondering if I should have?

Any advice for a novice appreciated.

Ed

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I am no expert, but surely if you tell the car insurers that you have a tow bar on your car then it is okay to tow, assuming you have the entitlement on your license.

check out - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022564

If in doubt ask your insurer.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
I believe that you are covered third party if you cause damage whilst the van is attached to the car !!! but that's not gospel

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Do you need to advise your insurance company that you have a towbar fitted. Would this be classed as a modification?

We have a removable towbar fitted on our new car? Just wondering.

Thanks

Sam

May 5, 2005
Visit site
am insured with Tesco and in the policy book there is a section that says insured to tow trailers,and in the commentary at the side says this includes towing a caravan,was going to check with them but that put my mind at rest

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

It would be wrong to assume that just because on insurer accepts trailers on their policies, that all do.

Do not give them the chance to decline a claim because you did not tell them you have a tow-bar fitted and that you tow a caravan of a particular maximum weight. Write to them and tell them.

Ask them to respond in writing. That way both you and the insurers cannot deny the matter in the event of a clam being made.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Also most policies have a little clause that says the vehicle must be maintained in good safe working order. When towing this clause will apply to the caravan as well.

Edwin,

I hope you have evidence the caravan is safe to tow?

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts