Belgium / war graves

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all looking for help.

My daughter is doing her history GSCE, covering ww1.

We have booked ferry crossing in feb half term 2013 to head to Belgium to give her more of a real time understanding,
however does anybody have any knowledge of the best areas to stay or visit, and perhaps any campsites that might be open at that time of year.

Somebody has mentioned the town of Ypres to me, however there is only one site within easy distance which is not open at that time.

Any help guidance or information would be gratefully received.

Cheers
John

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I have just noticed you are travelling in February and cant see anywhere close to Ypres to stay so you will probably have to do some driving, anywhere you can find between Calais/Dunkerque and Amiens will probably suffice as the British section of western front stretched across the area.
If you don't know a lot about the subject you really must not miss Ypres itself and the museum in the city centre is the best place to start. I have been many times and there is much to see but its possible to spend a lot of time in one cemetery after another if you have not done some reading before you go. If you get hold of the guides by Major and Mrs Holt you should have a better chance of spending your time fruitfully. If you don't have time for much else try to fit in Ypres and the Thiepval visitor centre for the Somme.
Regards
David

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I would have thought the most obvious thing to go and see is the Menin Gate at Ypres. I don't think you can really appreciate the size of the Menim Gate structure until you visit and wander around it and view the 54000 plus names of men who have no known grave including my great uncles.
The 'Last Post' ceremony is held every evening at 8.00pm at the Menin Gate and should not be missed if you have the time.
Tyne Cot war graves and memorial to another 35000 plus with no known graves is another worthwhile visit.
If you can also fit in a trip to Arras and the underground tunnels that were used in WW1. It makes a lasting impression
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/french-flanders-artois/museum-wellington-quarry.htm

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I endorse everything that david nd Gybe have said, but if you do the Menin gate, take plenty of hankies, and don't be ashamed of tears. You won't be the only one blubbing! One of the most moving experiences of my life.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
starlight dj said:
Hi all looking for help.

My daughter is doing her history GSCE, covering ww1.

We have booked ferry crossing in feb half term 2013 to head to Belgium to give her more of a real time understanding,
however does anybody have any knowledge of the best areas to stay or visit, and perhaps any campsites that might be open at that time of year.

Somebody has mentioned the town of Ypres to me, however there is only one site within easy distance which is not open at that time.

Any help guidance or information would be gratefully received.

Cheers
John

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi, The campsite in Ieper / ypres is open all year for Motor homes, but only from 1 March for caravans. What do you have ???
Search Jeugdstadion Ieper on your computer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have at look at the website of the Imperial War Graves Commission. One of my uncles was killed in 1917 and supplying them the minimum of information enabled them to tell me where to find his name - on the very large memorial at Cambrai. The site has a large quantity of information about the sites it looks after.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
emmerson said:
I endorse everything that david nd Gybe have said, but if you do the Menin gate, take plenty of hankies, and don't be ashamed of tears. You won't be the only one blubbing! One of the most moving experiences of my life.
That's very true. The Menin gate is so large and covered with all those names, inside, ouside and on the stairways! It's not often I'm speechless, But it is a very moving and solem experience. My grandmothers surname is quite rare and finding her brothers names by their regiment was quite a shock. I knew they had died during WW1 but I was unaware that they were never found until I saw their names engraved on the Gate!.
We drove to Ypres 1 morning and then to Arras and back to Ypres for the evenings Last Post as we felt we couldn't miss it.

Tens of thousands of names of those who were lost with no known graves, millions of soldiers died, over 37 million were wounded or died in WW1. So how does sarificing a few extra miles compare? Having been a few times to the various WW1 and WW2 sites in the area it's well worth a few extra miles to pay respect and learn of the sacrifices for anyone, adult or child.

Visiting the WW2 rocket launching sites is also an exerience, the horror of fighting and dieing is one thing. But history and memeorial days tend to forget the tens of thouands of deaths of slave labourers who were forced to build the German war machinery.

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
While you are at Ypres, take the road to Menin and follow the signs for Hill 62, Sanctuary Wood, the cafe there has a small museum out the back and you will be shocked at some of the weapons used while digging tunnels to plant explosives under enemy positions. When you come out to the main road turn right towards Menin and just a short distance on the left is Hooge Crater, the site of the first mine to be dug and exploded under the German lines there is a theme park just infront of it now but i think you will be amazed at the size of it even after almost 100 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts