bespoke spring caravan mattress DIY Incase it helps anyone

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
So I joined this site a few weeks ago and asked for help / advice …I got loads , everyone will brilliant( I am discovering that seems to be the norm with Caravaners !) so thought I would share this incase it helps some one.

we decided that we are going to keep our “double” bed made up all the time ..it’s just easier for us etc.. I looked at getting a mattress made ..and it wasn’t cheap (although not a rip off .. just more than I wanted to spend) we also wanted a decent sprung mattress etc which made things more complicated.

so thought I would try to make my own.. and it worked out really well .. although it does take some work (4hours all in).

brought a second hand king mattress in good condition, measured and marked out shape. Cut stitching at edge, pealed back to reveal pocket springs … detached each spring from wire frame (cut the metal loops) then marked the springs to be removed that best met the shape I needed.

the next part is the tricky bit, the wire frame (that all springs are each individually connected to with a “wire twist” ) that goes around the top and bottom of the mattress are integral to the mattress keeping its shape .. especially as you get on and off at a small point (see images of mattress in my van) you can just cut these off and throw them away. I cut the wire (past the bend) and bout 4 inches down it’s length (I mean the length that runs across the width of the bed) this allowed me to slide it back and tie it , side by side to the wire frame that remained in place . I used several wire twists (twisted tightly to the existing wire frame) which worked really well. I then retwisted each spring, top and bottom back to the wire frame, which I had bent to the shape I needed it to be (both pieces of wire) to the secure the springs, then folded over the “flap “ of material I had and stitched the mattress back together … making sure the stitches also went round the bottom wire for strength / to make sure it didn’t tear the fabric I was stitching it to, due to strain from the stitching/ getting of / off bed etc.

I used builders string line as my preferred “thread “ as it’s strong and I had it lying round..and it just went through the big needle I had….. honestly it’s worked amazingly well!! It’s so comfortable!!

getting it into place was a bit tricky but didn’t it in my own so its doable!! I know foam would have been easier… but we find a good quality pocket spring mattress can’t be beat. All cost £25 .. £5 of that was the soft wire (decent quality garden wire) and a few hours work (sore hands lol)

sharing in case anyone was wondering if it could be done / in case it helps any one !!

Attachments

• F66E6893-A2BF-4013-85BB-0C3B848AF106.jpeg
    F66E6893-A2BF-4013-85BB-0C3B848AF106.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 08F822A5-480F-45B8-AE1B-ECAADDAF5F2E.jpeg
    08F822A5-480F-45B8-AE1B-ECAADDAF5F2E.jpeg
    804.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 3C48DDA8-6525-47DC-8864-7902A792CFB4.jpeg
    3C48DDA8-6525-47DC-8864-7902A792CFB4.jpeg
    809.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 30009126-CC35-4670-BCA1-91EE05347687.jpeg
    30009126-CC35-4670-BCA1-91EE05347687.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Brilliant work, and in the true spirit of this forum!

We also keep the double made up, we went for a "proper" mattress because Mrs Gozza and I both have back issues, we were lucky and a standard size mattress (which was on special offer at a bed shop near the site where we were staying that weekend) fitted without any adjustment.

I now have to get into an unlikely yoga position every time I want to operate the hot water tank drain valve, but it's worth it!

Reactions: Tommyscaravan
Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
Brilliant work, and in the true spirit of this forum!

We also keep the double made up, we went for a "proper" mattress because Mrs Gozza and I both have back issues, we were lucky and a standard size mattress (which was on special offer at a bed shop near the site where we were staying that weekend) fitted without any adjustment.

I now have to get into an unlikely yoga position every time I want to operate the hot water tank drain valve, but it's worth it!
Lols I know what you mean , we have. 13 week old baby and 4.5 yr old … really don’t need the effort of make the bed everyday (ATM) the awning give us the room we need .. I’m luck the only switch’s under the bed can be reached without much effort … but a comfortable bed is 100% worth the effort

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
I am extremely impressed. Good for you. And thanks for sharing.

John
If it helps anyone (even if it’s just so they know what’s involved 😂 ) then it worth it … I’ve got a lot of questions to ask on here RE my van and if I can help anyone just a little I’ll fell a lot better about asking my questions

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Ah! He of nimble fingers and ingenuity! I suppose for others an alternative might be a mattress that fitted the narrow end and a bespoke cushion to fill the gap at the wider end?

Reactions: Tommyscaravan
Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
Ah! He of nimble fingers and ingenuity! I suppose for others an alternative might be a mattress that fitted the narrow end and a bespoke cushion to fill the gap at the wider end?
I’m sure that would work to… we just wanted a bed that was “as comfortable “ as our one at home .. to be honest I shared it because after I started cutting into it I thought “what have I done “ and then an hour or so later I was staring to think this would actually work.. and it did … so thought I would share.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts