Best all year round tyres for 4x4 SUV

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to a puncture now need two new tyres on back.

Would you fit the new tyres on the front or rear?

Any favourite brand?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to a puncture now need two new tyres on back.

Would you fit the new tyres on the front or rear?

Any favourite brand?
New on rear. Need to check Owners Manual to see if there is a specification on the tread depth delta between front and back.
I’ve got Bridgestone Weather Control an all season biased to temperate conditions but has 3 Peaks approval, and quite a good tread pattern for grip on grass CLs.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Just put 4 Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 on our Shogun.
Not been in snow but they are really good in heavy rain.
Very stable when towing and get great reviews.

Kev

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Been using Toyo Proxies CF2 SUV for a while and would go for these again when needed.

Can't say they're the best because no idea what best means to you.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was recommended to try Michelin crossclimate suv so put two on the front was so impressed with the grip on corning is ten times better the factory fit continentals and wear only on 6k still looking like new also put a pair on rear 6wks ago and it does stick to the floor when cornering with a heavy boot worth a look

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was recommended to try Michelin crossclimate suv so put two on the front was so impressed with the grip on corning is ten times better the factory fit continentals and wear only on 6k still looking like new also put a pair on rear 6wks ago and it does stick to the floor when cornering with a heavy boot worth a look
Used Cross Climate but whilst absolutely fine on tarmac had problems on wet cut grass and muddy pitch.

Autoexpress have regular review comparative tests on different categories of tyres. There will be links then to several German tyre comparitive sites too. I moved to all seasons for both cars over 10 years ago and whilst they have to be a compromise compared to using summer + winter our conditions don’t merit such an arrangement. I’ve never felt they compromised my safety.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2020-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm#:~:text=2020 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test 1,Bridgestone Weather Control A005. ... More items...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/featu...-tested-and-reviewed/verdict-results-category

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2019-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How do you quantify “10 times” better grip on cornering? Or are you saying they give more confidence when cornering ?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Never really understood how people can compare different tires. By the time you put new ones on the old ones are past their best. Only thing I've noticed is the the difference in wear and that has to take into account doing the same type of driving conditions, which for me are mostly the same year after year.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On previous 4x4s I have had Bridgestone and Cooper. The Cooper were very good. On our previous Jeep I fitted Michelin Cross Climate all round the difference was noticeable. Felt much better in the wet and overall road grip seemed better. On our current Jeep we have Continentals fitted all round. Front tyres have done in excess of 18k and still look good for another 18k.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
How do you quantify “10 times” better grip on cornering? Or are you saying they give more confidence when cornering ?
total better grip all round but more noticeable when wet . when cornering were I had to back of because you could feel the car starting to slid .no so now at the same speed .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
total better grip all round but more noticeable when wet . when cornering were I had to back of because you could feel the car starting to slid .no so now at the same speed .
Thanks. Surprised you only fitted two to the front initially as that risks the rear stepping out of line if there’s a significant difference in grip.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am sure I am too late on this but, I fitted Nokian Weatherproofs 30k miles ago, as we were travelling to Switzerland every 6 months, I found them to be a great tyre, on the Sante Fe. Deepest snow was about 9 inchs and the tyres had only done about 3k.
And they pulled us through very nicley, I did turn a bit religious at one point of the 6 mile stint.
A good grip on wet cut grass on cl's. Its more of a winter tyre going to a summer one. After 30 K miles all four are just down to 5 mm.
Very good in the wet , all year round , and very acceptable in the summer,

I have decided to try the Michelins, Cross Climate, as they are more biased to Summer/winter. . , I had a set of Avon AT on my last SFe, but sadly they do not do them in My new tyre size.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As an "Add On " to this thread, How low do you let your tyre treads go, I used to get my fronts down to 4 mm and then swopp front to rear,
I do this as I like to change all 4 tyres at the same time. Then when the swopped fronts get to 3 MM. its time for me to change. All 4 tyres
I have never gone lower than 3 mm for many years now.

Reactions: Gafferbill
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As an "Add On " to this thread, How low do you let your tyre treads go, I used to get my fronts down to 4 mm and then swopp front to rear,
I do this as I like to change all 4 tyres at the same time. Then when the swopped fronts get to 3 MM. its time for me to change. All 4 tyres
3mm is my minimum and our kids follow that lead too.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Surprised you only fitted two to the front initially as that risks the rear stepping out of line if there’s a significant difference in grip.
on the Kuga with F/W drive the tyres wear down quicker so the back were not bad and not a Big hit on the pocket that's one of the reasons for buying them .with the 4 on you can feel the difference straight away

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
on the Kuga with F/W drive the tyres wear down quicker so the back were not bad and not a Big hit on the pocket that's one of the reasons for buying them .with the 4 on you can feel the difference straight away
The norm tends to be that new tyres are fitted to the back. Even Continental Tyres recommend that unless the cars manufacturer says differently. This advice is independent of whether the car is fwd, rwd or full time 4WD. Plenty of videos showing what can happen particularly in the wet on a curved road.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have decided to try the Michelins, Cross Climate, as they are more biased to Summer/winter. . , I had a set of Avon AT on my last SFe, but sadly they do not do them in My new tyre size.
As said had them on a previous Jeep and thought they were brilliant and I think you would be happy with them. I wanted them for our current Jeep but could not get them in a 20" so went for the Continentals.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's generally recommended that winter tyres are changed at 4mm with summer tyres changed at 3mm - going below that their grip falls off the cliff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts