Best caravan sat navs

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The real fun and games start when there's an unexpected road closure if a serious r.t.a. blocks the route that you have carefully chosen beforehand.
My Garmin will suggest an alternative route, but the alternative needs some thought before towing blithely along a lane with large overhanging trees and narrow pinch points with heavy diverted traffic trying to come the other way.
It happened to me once, never again!
Take a few minutes to pull over before the diversion to check a hard copy map.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The real fun and games start when there's an unexpected road closure if a serious r.t.a. blocks the route that you have carefully chosen beforehand.
My Garmin will suggest an alternative route, but the alternative needs some thought before towing blithely along a lane with large overhanging trees and narrow pinch points with heavy diverted traffic trying to come the other way.
How true, I have never ever accepted a route diversion other than on main routes where here are road works etc. In country areas we would do exactly as you advise, and I would use my map book and co pilot.

Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you input the dimensions of the combination outfit, surely it should avoid unsuitable roads? Although we have used alternatives when a RTA has blocked the road so far we have been lucky. Solo we have been taken down some weird and wonderful roads. :D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you input the dimensions of the combination outfit, surely it should avoid unsuitable roads? Although we have used alternatives when a RTA has blocked the road so far we have been lucky. Solo we have been taken down some weird and wonderful roads. :D
They'll avoid roads with a legally posted restriction, eg if your caravan is 2.3m wide, they'll avoid roads with a 2.0m width restriction - but won't avoid roads "generally less than 4m wide" or single track with passing places, both of which would generally be avoided by caravanners.

Reactions: Hutch and Johnb
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They'll avoid roads with a legally posted restriction, eg if your caravan is 2.3m wide, they'll avoid roads with a 2.0m width restriction - but won't avoid roads "generally less than 4m wide" or single track with passing places, both of which would generally be avoided by caravanners.
I have my dimensions as height 3m, width 2.8m and length at 14m so well in excess of the actual dimensions. I guess maybe that is why we have no issues? Actual width is 2.5m.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've added larger dimensions than the actual size of my caravan to my sat nav data.
If a police officer directs you to use a diversion decided by them your sat nav data will be meaningless, and yes, it happened to me on one memorable occasion.
Because a road may be wide enough to squeeze a 4x4 towing a caravan along, that doesn't mean that it will be suitable as an emergency diversion with heavy congestion coming both ways.
If one drives down the middle of a quiet back road with low overhanging tree boughs, hedges with stone wall backing and protruding buildings it's possible to progress reasonably with care.
With heavy traffic almost gridlocked in both directions and frustrated drivers forced to use an unexpected diversion along the same 'quiet' road it's another matter altogether.
That's why I never rely on the sat nav alone, I always have a paper road atlas in the car.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Not to suggest that this applies to anyone here but there seems to be a trend to rely more on technology than common sense. The technology isn't perferct be it Sat Navs or all the 'Smarts' that are being built into cars and homes. It can be of help but its a tool that needs using with caution. By all means use the technology but don't for a minute let it take charge.

The performance of assisted technology is only as good as the rules built into it and sadly these are sometime lacking in basics, possibly due to 'blind spots' in those making the rules.

Sat Navs are reliant on the quality of the map data and the guidance rules designed into the software. Even for cars these don't always work. On a recent trip to Derbyshire I had a stupid moment when I decided to follow the sat nav instructions rather than the road signs. It was a disaster - taking us around in circles and along roads barely suitable for a car and arriving nowhere need were we should have been. Not being in a hurry we had a good laugh at the situation before we eventually got back to the starting point and then followed the signs.

PS: - Just as a final note - entering rig dimensions may be fine but the software may just scan the map data to ensure the roads are suitable - it probably doesn't take into account other traffic on the same route i.e another large rig comming the other way

PPS: - I worked on the design of Autopilot systems for aircraft but we still put the driver in charge just in case :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've added larger dimensions than the actual size of my caravan to my sat nav data.
If a police officer directs you to use a diversion decided by them your sat nav data will be meaningless, and yes, it happened to me on one memorable occasion.
Because a road may be wide enough to squeeze a 4x4 towing a caravan along, that doesn't mean that it will be suitable as an emergency diversion with heavy congestion coming both ways.
If one drives down the middle of a quiet back road with low overhanging tree boughs, hedges with stone wall backing and protruding buildings it's possible to progress reasonably with care.
With heavy traffic almost gridlocked in both directions and frustrated drivers forced to use an unexpected diversion along the same 'quiet' road it's another matter altogether.
That's why I never rely on the sat nav alone, I always have a paper road atlas in the car.
How as you just stated, if the police officer directs you use a diversion decided by them, then the paper map is also useless.
I doubt if any police officer directing anyone down a diversion that has been decided by them will be unsuitable for HGVs or cars with trailers as that leaves them open to claims if damage occurs, but I suppose it happens. :rolleyes:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regardless of whether it's SatNav, and Paper Map or just our own knowledge of the route, it is always the responsibility of the driver to avoid unsuitable roads as marked by permanent or temporary restrictions. But you must follow the directions of a police officer.

As for Sat navs I have had number of different models over the years. I have always considered them to be one of the navigation tools rather than the only tool.

With an early Medion model I had, I was using it to make a first visit to an address in Tamworth I was not familiar with. The bulk of my journey was along a section of the A5 I knew well, and I was surprised when the Sat Nav instructed me to turn right - This was nowhere near my destination and in completely the wrong direction! I knew this was wrong so I ignored it. It completed the rest of the journey with no problems.

On the return journey it again told me to turn into the small side road, and I thought I'd just see where it took me. It directed me about half a mile along the road into and around a small housing estate then back to the A5!

It always tried to divert me down the same road each time I passed it.

I've always liked paper maps, but just like SatNavs they are never fully up to date, so you still have to use your driving skills to follow the local road signage and conditions.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
How as you just stated, if the police officer directs you use a diversion decided by them, then the paper map is also useless.
I doubt if any police officer directing anyone down a diversion that has been decided by them will be unsuitable for HGVs or cars with trailers as that leaves them open to claims if damage occurs, but I suppose it happens. :rolleyes:
In my instance which took place in Cornwall after holding up traffic I managed to turn the car and caravan round in a large driveway entrance to go back, because I was advised by a local that I wouldn't get much further under those conditions.
I found a lay by back on the main road where we'd come from and worked out a route that was much longer and further round, involving a busy town centre (Cambourne) but more suitable.
I advised the policeman directing the traffic at the start of the diversion not to send any other larger vehicles that way.
I doubt if the police officer had ever been down that way himself.
Edit: I'm not a liar.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In my instance which took place in Cornwall after holding up traffic I managed to turn the car and caravan round in a large driveway entrance to go back, because I was advised by a local that I wouldn't get much further under those conditions.
I found a lay by back on the main road where we'd come from and worked out a route that was much longer and further round, involving a busy town centre (Cambourne) but more suitable.
I advised the policeman directing the traffic at the start of the diversion not to send any other larger vehicles that way.
I doubt if the police officer had ever been down that way himself.
Edit: I'm not a liar.
Apologies if you misinterpreted what I was saying. By no stretch of the imagination was I inferring that you are a liar which is why I also said it does happen although it shouldn't.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Apologies if you misinterpreted what I was saying. By no stretch of the imagination was I inferring that you are a liar which is why I also said it does happen although it shouldn't.
I can assure you that it happened to me Buckman.
I don't think that I misinterpreted anything at all, you wrote that you 'doubt if a police officer directing anyone down a diversion that has been decided by them will be unsuitable for HGVs or cars with trailers' after I'd written about my experience.
( although you added a little get out clause at the end)
If you were not casting doubt in the first part your comment on my description of what took place, I'd suggest with all due respect that you chose your words more carefully, because it looked to me as though you were trying to challenge my statement.
Maybe this is how the regular forum spats that we see come about.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well I can assure you all my cat is Blacker than yours🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛

In my Tom Tom days I have fallen foul of narrowing roads / lanes. It never told me about road closures due to a Utilities failure that day. As I said in an earlier post Sat Navs are merely a guide not the gospel. A bit like the Speedo, doesn’t stop you going too fast.

Five years ago I nearly bought the CAMC Sat Nav. Too expensive imo but it may be useful to the OP.

I am sure Buckman’s is a good tool but frankly I can’t be bothered with all the faffing about. I have eyes😎😎

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I've either been luckier than most, or I'm doing something right that I don't know I'm doing...but the only time a satnav has ever tried to take me seriously astray was back in the very early days of car satnav, when it tried to get me to make an illegal right turn. Easily avoided because I was looking out of the big window and did what the signs said.

As plenty of people have said, a satnav is just one tool in the navigation toolkit, and so is a map, and anything else you use. My technique is
  • Make sure the satnav settings are appropriately set - e.g. if I'm towing then it's in "RV mode".
  • Get it to plot a route to where I want to go.
  • Look at the suggested route to see if it makes sense. If I'm going to a caravan site then check it against the site's recommended approach route, if there is one.
  • Add appropriate "go via" or "avoid" waypoints, if necessary
  • Replot the route.

It may sound like a faff, but by doing all this in advance, once I'm on the road I can just follow the blue line and know it's a route I've checked and am happy with.

I know some people are happy with the co-pilot's navigation and if it works for you then fine - but much as I love Mrs Gozza, given the choice between her map reading and a satnav, I'll take the satnav (glad she doesn't have a login for this forum!).

One thing I'd strongly recommend for new satnav users (or experienced users just using a new type), is to use it a few times in familiar areas and where you know where you're going. That way you'll get used to how far in advance it warns you about junctions, the difference between "bear left" and "turn left" and "keep left" in its little electronic brain, and things like that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can assure you that it happened to me Buckman.
I don't think that I misinterpreted anything at all, you wrote that you 'doubt if a police officer directing anyone down a diversion that has been decided by them will be unsuitable for HGVs or cars with trailers' after I'd written about my experience.
( although you added a little get out clause at the end)
If you were not casting doubt in the first part your comment on my description of what took place, I'd suggest with all due respect that you chose your words more carefully, because it looked to me as though you were trying to challenge my statement.
Maybe this is how the regular forum spats that we see come about.
No ways was I casting any doubt on your statement. I know my English is different to yours and sometimes I put it across wrongly which causes offence and for that I apologise.

Reactions: Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
No ways was I casting any doubt on your statement. I know my English is different to yours and sometimes I put it across wrongly which causes offence and for that I apologise.
I accept that apology.
Please read through what you've written before you submit it, because you came across as though you were calling me out, even if you didn't mean to.
That was always going to provoke a reaction from me.
You then stated that I'd misunderstood you, hence my later straightforward reply.
In fact it's you who seems to misunderstand the normal phraseology in common usage here.
It's a storm in a teacup, and done with now.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Just received an email from Garmin.

They are promoting a new SatNav - Camper 795 which they want £389.99 for.
Maybe they think I'm daft enough to buy the thing, and many will I no doubt.

Lots of "cutting edge" information to woo the unwary.

Almost tempted - nah no way.

Interesting footnote they make though: "Entering your Motorhome or trailer profile characteristics does not guarantee your Motorhome’s characteristics will be accounted for in all route suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and road conditions. "

Edit link: https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/1004...ANMT-17031-Camper Camper Cam 795 Announcement

Reactions: Dustydog and Parksy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts