Best caravan sat navs

Mar 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi was just wondering if anyone out there had any views on which was the best sat nav for caravan towing I want one that does speed cameras and map updates for free and the best all rounder any suggestions would be great 👍

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
No matter what model or make you buy don't trust it!
It knows only the road data that is on the map being used - weight restrictions, low bridges and so on.
Yes, it will avoid these but so can you without a SatNav!
It can't know if any other road or lane is suitable without a constraint being part of its map.
You may find you are routed through housing estates and down narrow winding country lanes that are anything but ideal for towing.
Just beware!
Ah, it wont be long before someone tells you they have a "such and such" model and it never lets them doen. My answer is a single word - "YET"
I use a Garmin and plan my routes using "Garmin Basecamp". Basically I decide the route and the SatNav keeps me on it.
Do check for lifetime maps and safety cameras of course.
And lastly don't be swayed by the POI relevant to camping that come installed - they are widely available and you can install your own.

Really last you will save a lot of cash by NOT buying a dedicated SatNav.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No matter what model or make you buy don't trust it!
It knows only the road data that is on the map being used - weight restrictions, low bridges and so on.
Yes, it will avoid these but so can you without a SatNav!
It can't know if any other road or lane is suitable without a constraint being part of its map.
You may find you are routed through housing estates and down narrow winding country lanes that are anything but ideal for towing.
Just beware!
Ah, it wont be long before someone tells you they have a "such and such" model and it never lets them doen. My answer is a single word - "YET"
I use a Garmin and plan my routes using "Garmin Basecamp". Basically I decide the route and the SatNav keeps me on it.
Do check for lifetime maps and safety cameras of course.
And lastly don't be swayed by the POI relevant to camping that come installed - they are widely available and you can install your own.

Really last you will save a lot of cash by NOT buying a dedicated SatNav.

+1

I just use the car's built-in satnav, which I update every 2-3 years, but don't rely on it - I do rely on visual observation of road signs but even they can be missing or wrong at times.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I learnt my lesson the hard way years ago. Before a journey into unknown territory study a good road map. Google earth is good for checking out the approach to the site. Ignore any sat nav instruction into tiny lanes. Use your eyes and brain. My built in Sat Nav is just a guide NOT an authority.

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve used Garmin since 2010 and the reason I chose them was that I could plot my route on a PC using their software and then export it to the satnav. My latest one the Drivesmart came with lifetime updates which are issued every three months and like JohnB is use Garmin Basecamp to plot specific routes. I will also use Streetview to give me visual views of the access to campsites which is useful.

We would also have a Google maps hard copy plus up to date map book.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we use to go to a site i use to look it up on Google earth and with my fitted sat nav in the car it told me where the speed cameras were and update every three years so far okay

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the TomTom Go Camper which allows to input the dimensions of the total outfit. You can then select between "car only" or "car and caravan". Speed cameras are updated daily and you get warnings of them and also any traffic issues. If there is a traffic issue, you are offered an alternative route. Maps are constantly updated. All this is free.
You can also add all your own POIs for campsites and other points of interest.

Mar 6, 2022
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your views I’m still unsure to purchase one or not as not too sure which one is the best one and for the price of them it’s a hard one to know which to go for or even if I try one of the apps any thoughts would be great 👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I prefer my standalone Garmin because it’s a big screen which I mount on the dashboard so unlike the cars own I get a larger screen in my lines of sight.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I prefer my standalone Garmin because it’s a big screen which I mount on the dashboard so unlike the cars own I get a larger screen in my lines of sight.

Same here. We have the built in Satnav, but it is a pain to use plus cannot add in dimensions for outfit.

Mar 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi again so which sat nav do people recommend I’ve got a caravan and I’m just looking for the best one all round suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi again so which sat nav do people recommend I’ve got a caravan and I’m just looking for the best one all round suggestions would be appreciated thanks
Either Garmin or TomTom caravan specific would do the job. It is up to you to decide. (y)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think it’s such a personal view that you won’t get a definitive answer. Already there are a number of posts re systems that people successfully use, some arevoutfit specific, others portable satnav, some phone apps, and others cars own satnav. It’s one that you need to investigate in more detail and then decide. I’m a fan of Garmin as I can preprogram routes on a computer.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Either Garmin or TomTom caravan specific would do the job. It is up to you to decide. (y)

Either Garmin or TomTom Caravan NON SPECIFIC will do the job.

My Garmin is a Drivesmart 55-MT D. Bought when TomTom dumbed down their SatNavs to remove "Itinerary" planning. Garmin thankfully have free software called "Basecamp" which allows route (itinerary) planning.

Anyone who thinks reliance on a "caravan specific" SatNav is ok lives in "cloud cuckoo land"

I would have thought the posts above were generally making that clear.

Caravan specific devices will NOT keep you from unsuitable roads. They can only keep you from those that appear on their maps. Many narrow high edged country lanes are de-restricted and a SatNav will "rub its hands with glee" and take you that way IF the safe for towing route has, for example, a 40 mph limit. Makes good sense - why stick to 40 mph when there's a de-restricted road which just as likely seems to cut a corner.

If you can give me your arguments for recommending an expensive caravan specific SatNav I'd love to hear them.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our TomTom Go Camper has never routed us down an unsuitable road. However it is still to tot eh OP to make the decision on whatever they decide.

Reactions: PTA
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our TomTom Go Camper has never routed us down an unsuitable road. However it is still to tot eh OP to make the decision on whatever they decide.
My built-in car satnav has never routed me down an unsuitable road either, so that's not a reasonable test.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My built-in car satnav has never routed me down an unsuitable road either, so that's not a reasonable test.
I was making an observation and not sure what is regarded as a reasonable test? I think by this time the OP is even more confused! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On travelling to Dolbeare Park site at Landrake our Skoda satnav told me to turn right off of the A38 towards Notter. Having worked and lived in that area I knew that wasn't suitable for a caravan, or much else actually., unless you want to spend convivial time at the Notter Bridge Inn. So I made my scheduled right turn in Landrake using the Garmin pre programmed with my route, and also having viewed it on Google Street View, plus a large brown "attraction" sign. And yes I would often have two satnavs up and running but the Garmin took precedence so I did not require to average the instructions. :giggle:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have both TomTom which is updated with my Pc regularly, and the inbuilt Tucson which I think is based on TomTom anyway and gets updated annually alongside its annual service. Generally the Fastest option is the most reliable and the Shortest the least reliable but either way I pre plan my route on Google Earth with specific sections on street view - I hate directions that say approach down single track with passing places and always rehearse these sections. I wish that the sum total of these were infallible not so!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a Garmin camper satnav.
It has a fairly large easily readable screen, it warns of real time traffic delays along the chosen route plus speed cameras and it has many camping grounds stored within its data bank with the capacity to add more.
Places of interest, restaurants, supermarkets, banks, fuel stations and even public toilets are shown on the maps.
The size and weight of the unit can be entered to avoid the possibility of attempting to go under low bridges and the Garmin website provides regular updates to keep the stored information current.
Experience has taught me that it's wise to pre-programme and to review routes that you're unfamiliar with to avoid the possibility of being directed along unsuitable routes and narrow lanes or bottlenecks, which could happen.
I would guess that a similar Tom Tom product would have many of the same features.
It's a bad idea to rely solely on any sat nav, especially when towing, and a perusal of Google earth before an unfamiliar journey and a road atlas kept in the vehicle in case of confusion are helpful additions when undertaking holiday trips.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

Yes. So far you're lucky.

But hey! How about explaining how your SatNav works that is different from mine? Who tells it a route is not suitable? Where does it read the information from?

Surely you can see that simply saying something has not happened to you does nothing to instill confidence.

I've not had Covid yet but that doesn't prove Covid doesn't exist - does it?

Just so I know where I'm wrong do tell me why and how?

I'm sure the OP is reading responses and would welcome your arguments since they are contrary to mine.

I'm all ears and no doubt so too the OP.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

But hey! How about explaining how your SatNav works that is different from mine? Who tells it a route is not suitable? Where does it read the information from?

Surely you can see that simply saying something has not happened to you does nothing to instill confidence.

I'm sure the OP is reading responses and would welcome your arguments since they are contrary to mine.

Calm down, this isn't a war!
No sat nav can be guaranteed not to suggest unsuitable roads unless it is pre-programmed not to before a journey using it is undertaken.
There are general parameters that can be pre-set such as whether to use motorways or toll roads, but the old adage of GIGO which applies to all data driven equipment also applies to any sat nav or GPS navigation aid that's ever been made.
If Buckman's Tom Tom sat nav has never suggested an unsuitable route when towing, he's either been exceptionally lucky or he's used pre-programming or maybe his own eyes and common sense to reject doubtful sat nav suggestions.
I've certainly used all of them on my Garmin Camper.
For the O.P.
Ignore any point scoring silliness on this thread.
Whichever sat nav you chose, don't rely on that alone.
Cross check your route using Google Map directions before you go, write down wayponts, road numbers etc to cross check your route as you go along and look online for instructions from camping sites about the best route to follow when you're almost there.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

I never suggest my Satnav was better or worked any different so not sure why you are jumping down my throat? I did mention that with my Satnav I can enter the dimensions of my combination outfit and it avoids roads that are unsuitable or advises me some parts maybe not be suitable i.e. part of the journey is down a narrow farm road to a CL.
Maybe I have been lucky so far, but I am happy with it, however I do use Earth Google for non Motorway or A roads to make sure..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts