Best directions and stopping places.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi all. It’s time for the maiden voyage (stay off the roads on Monday)

We’re heading from East Yorkshire down to Calne in Wiltshire.

Plenty of routes to choose from and we’re not in a rush but I don’t really want any back roads as it’s my first time with the 8ft van.

In a related point, which motorway services on M1, M42, M5 do we recommend for good caravan spaces. We stopped at Hopwood on the M42 last time and It’s not the best for getting round really.

Any thoughts on that???

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hopwood is poor as the spaces are tight. I would use Hopwood HGV area. Strensham, Gloucester or Michaelwood are okay. I’d approach Calne from M4 via Wooton Bassett and in via Lyneham. Are you going to Blackland Lakes in which case you will by pass West of Calne

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
From E Yorks two possibilities:

M62 -M18-M1 to J15A then A43-M40-A34 round Oxford down to M4 south of Abingdon, M4 to J15, A346 to Marlborough then A4 to Calne.

M62-M18-M1 to J21 onto M69, continue on A46/A45/A46 to Warwick/M40 junction, straight across A429 (most of which used to be the Fosse Way) snpt Stow to Cirencester/Malmesbury/M4 J17, straight on to Chippenham then follow signs for A4 to Calne.

We use the second option going to a CL near Frome when visiting our daughter in Bath. It is an easy drive, the A429 has long straight stretches (it was once a Roman Road after all!) The only delays will be at Moreton-in-Marsh and Stow-on-the-Wold but there are no limitations that will make life difficult with an 8-footer.

Reactions: Dustydog and Mel
May 29, 2018
Visit site
Hopwood is poor as the spaces are tight. I would use Hopwood HGV area. Strensham, Gloucester or Michaelwood are okay. I’d approach Calne from M4 via Wooton Bassett and in via Lyneham. Are you going to Blackland Lakes in which case you will by pass West of Calne
Yes, Blackland lakes is the place. Really looking forward to it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nothing is good, go for the HGV pitches and hopefully you will get one that doesnt smell.
We stopped at Strensham in May and their caravan , mh slots are fine. If they are full the sign redirects you to hgv. I don’t know why you think they are not acceptable, along with the new Gloucester service run by Tebay or Michaelwood? True, bay numbers are limited and you will get other than caravan MH drivers using them but unfortunately that’s life.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's one motorway service area which is marked to drive in forwards, then reverse out - but no advance notice and only signed by the markings on the road - sadly I can't remember where!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There's one motorway service area which is marked to drive in forwards, then reverse out - but no advance notice and only signed by the markings on the road - sadly I can't remember where!
I think we found it last week on the M4 near Swindon going west. Badly marked sign for caravans as sign shows you to turn left which takes you into the car park where there are some long bays. If we had gone straight on instead of turning left we would have been able to park up in the caravan bays. We weren't the only ones caught out.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think we found it last week on the M4 near Swindon going west. Badly marked sign for caravans as sign shows you to turn left which takes you into the car park where there are some long bays. If we had gone straight on instead of turning left we would have been able to park up in the caravan bays. We weren't the only ones caught out.
There's more than one then! The one I'm recalling would have been on M5, M6 or A1(M) as I don't think I've ever taken the caravan on the M4 in England.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have a look at Google Earth it will answer your question.

At least nine drive in drive out bays.
Still very difficult to get in or out with a long outfit. Regarding reversing perhaps I am getting mixed up with another services on the M5 I think near Taunton.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts