Best Potatoes for Roasties?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have a Fish and Chip van that comes around on Wednesdays but the quality is variable by all accounts so we've not tried it. Nearest reasonable one is about 25 miles away.

I live in a chip free house. I've been told they're not good for me :)
We have oven crinkle cut chips and when visiting seaside we have Fish & chips as a special treat

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I think the best fish&chips we've had was at Brixham.
A small cafe at the side of the harbour just opposite where there is an occasional outside market,(and also do a delicious breakfast).
Chips golden brown and not too "fatty" and the fish with just the right amount of batter.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Whitby, Weston, Blackpool, Brixham, Clevedon, Barry, Minehead, Southend, Great Yarmouth, Cowes, etc etc. All have somthing in common. Seaside and great fish and chips.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whitby, Weston, Blackpool, Brixham, Clevedon, Barry, Minehead, Southend, Great Yarmouth, Cowes, etc etc. All have somthing in common. Seaside and great fish and chips.

John
Don't forget Grant Town on Spey has an award winning chip shop and only short was from the caravan site too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would hope to give it a go someday. But, like you, caravan no longer involved.

John
It’s on our list of places to visit when our old dog is no longer with us. The Grantown Arms is on our list as it caters for bird and wildlife activities. Last July I booked a long haul for Autumn 2023, but last week The travel company told me it wasn’t being run. So we just asked for a refund. It’s been a recurring theme since 2017 having my holiday plans thwarted for one reason or another. Think it might be better to buy a VR headset and travel electronically 😂

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We're spoiled for choice here in the Black Country when it comes to fish & chips.
The best chips are the orange battered chips, a Black Country speciality.
Some chippys still use beef dripping to fry their chips, nice but considered to be bad for you.
If you order a normal portion of fish & chips there is usually too much for one person, so mini fish & chips is the way to go.
I have chip shop chips every couple of months if I'm late coming home from choir practice and I couldn't decide what I wanted for supper before I left, I never eat beforehand.
Seaside fish & chips are usually nice, but the Black Country orange chips take some beating.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think the best fish&chips we've had was at Brixham.
A small cafe at the side of the harbour just opposite where there is an occasional outside market,(and also do a delicious breakfast).
Chips golden brown and not too "fatty" and the fish with just the right amount of batter.
A few years ago, we were late arriving at a site in Brean so opted to go to the chippy. For two of us, the cost was nearly £20 for fish and chips only. We threw most of it away as most was too disgusting to eat.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We're spoiled for choice here in the Black Country when it comes to fish & chips.
The best chips are the orange battered chips, a Black Country speciality.
Some chippys still use beef dripping to fry their chips, nice but considered to be bad for you.
If you order a normal portion of fish & chips there is usually too much for one person, so mini fish & chips is the way to go.
I have chip shop chips every couple of months if I'm late coming home from choir practice and I couldn't decide what I wanted for supper before I left, I never eat beforehand.
Seaside fish & chips are usually nice, but the Black Country orange chips take some beating.

Growing up in Liverpool the chippies did ‘scallops’, perhaps they still do. Not real scallops, but large potatoes thickly sliced and battered. really nice.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We love Trenchers Fish & chips in Whitby but my brother likes Magpie Cafe he often book a table i also like scallops very tasty .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back in the 50s the local Chippy gave us kids little bags of scratchings. The crispy left over scraps of batter.😋BTW, Tesco All Rounder spuds were average for roasties, nowhere as good as Maris Piper

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Back in the 50s the local Chippy gave us kids little bags of scratchings. The crispy left over scraps of batter.😋BTW, Tesco All Rounder spuds were average for roasties, nowhere as good as Maris Piper
I've not heard the crispy bits called that - in the Black Country "scratchings" are a snack made from pork rind - not to everyone's taste!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've not heard the crispy bits called that - in the Black Country "scratchings" are a snack made from pork rind - not to everyone's taste!
The crispy bits are called 'batters' here.
The servers would give small bags of batters to local kids, the chippy was glad to get rid of them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They were called that in Leicester and our local fish and chip shop would scoop some onto the chips for free if required. But also the fried pork rind was also called scratching too. They tended to be sold by sales folks who walked between pubs with a basket of pork scratching, whelks, cockles etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts