Best route to CC Site at Bunree - towing north from M6

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Conventional route is M6, A74(M), M74, M73, M8, M898, A82 but that's alongside Loch Lomond - the northern stretch can be difficult at busy times with foreign coaches encroaching on the twisty bits.

A good alternative is M6, A74(M), M74, M73, A80, M80, M9, A84, A85, A82

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alternative route okay, but be warned after the M9 onto the A84 through to the A82 allow plenty of time as their are some quite hairy bends on route, your passengers will enjoy some of the best scenary expecally on the A82 going through Glen Coe.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I've only been the A82 route and must admit I didn't find it scarey, but then again I hadn't seen any posts saying it could be so. Next time I go I will be looking for the scarey bits and will probably be poopin' myself :O(

Methinks I will go the alternative route next time because I don't fancy wearing a nappy as a precaution.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
The A82 is only a problem when you meet a coach or an arctic lorry at a narrow section. In summer, there are lots of foreign coaches on the road.

Feb 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Meals,

I live in central Scotland and often go to the Bunree and Ft William area. My preferred route would be the M80 towards Stirling, then head for Callendar, Lochearnhead, and Crianlarich.(A85) There the road joins the A82 and you're less than 50 miles from Bunree at that point.

The route is just as scenic along the shores of Loch Lubnaig, but you don't get the tight narrow bends that you would at the top half of Loch Lomond, and there's less traffic.

Either way, however, the scenery is spectacular ona nice day.

Have a good trip.

Charles

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. This will be our first visit to the Bunree site and by all accounts it sounds great. Can you choose your own pitch or do you have to go where the warden puts you?

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
You can choose your own pitch.....if there are spaces right at the front ( very popular ) you are not allowed to put up an awning.

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi meals on wheels,

Another point to bear in mind, when you join the A84 from the M9 within 1/4mile there is a very large Dobbies garden centre on your r/h side of the road with good access. I was in yesterday solo but their were 2 vans in and there seemed to be plenty of room at the back. Hope this may be of help to you.

William

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
You can choose your own pitch.....if there are spaces right at the front ( very popular ) you are not allowed to put up an awning.
Thanks Maureen. We are taking the porch awning on this trip, but only plan to use it if it's wet, for somewhere to put the boots and hang the waterproofs. We will remember not to use it, if we are lucky enough to get a pitch at the front.

G

Hi, Our first trip to Scotland last year involved the Northern Loch Lomond leg and it was really hairy, Arctics coming the other way down v narrow lochside roads, so much so we chose the alternative on the way back. Its a fab area though - stay at North Connel - Oban if you can its a v scenic site on the loch edge. Enjoy and take your time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We always use Roger's alternative. It is the best and quickest and not without scenery and towns to see. The Loch Lomand route I did 20 years ago and swore never again. Narrow in places and very twisty, but it is scenic . Depends what your travelling priorities are.

Cheers

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts