Best route to Drymen, nr Loch Lomond please

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We shall be travelling to Drymen, nr Loch Lomond later next week, without the caravan and would be very grateful if someone could advise the best route to take, once we reach the Hamilton area on the M74.

Many thanks in advance.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
wondering if you are trying to avoid driving through Glasgow ,to be fair Glasgow isn't bad bar rush hour even then its nothing as bad as London,so i'd keep going up the M74 onto the M73 and head through Glasgow on the M8 cross over the erskine bridge onto A82 .i don't know Drymen but it appears to be only a few miles off the A82 on the A811.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Just be aware of road works on and around the M74 at Hamilton, it's not too bad apart from peak time morning and late afternoon so avoid that time if you can. They same goes really for both the M74 and M8 around Glasgow, can be a bit of a car park at peak times.
My own preference of route would be to stay on the M74 rather than cut off onto the 73 and then merge with the M8 just past Glasgow city centre on the top side of the Kingston Bridge. Not much in it either way just my own preference.
As others have said, off the M8, over the Erskine Bridge then onto A82. Never been up to Drymen but the route to the Erskine Bridge is pretty straight forward.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with JohnnyG. You take the M74 and follow that round the South side of Glasgow and onto the M8. Watch that bit as it is busy and needs a couple of lane changes. You then follow the M8 to the Erskine Bridge and head over it for Loch Lomond, I think the direction at the far end is Crianlarrich. Follow the road towards Loch Lomond until you see the signs for the A811 at Balloch. Turn right onto it at the roundabout and then follow that road. Drymen village is a few miles up on the left although I am not sure where the camp site is.
The roadworks on the M74 should be no problem after 10 am until at least 4 pm but watch your speed through them as they appear to be using speeding fines to pay for them. I would try to arrive at the Erskine Bridge before 4 pm though as the M8 there can get very busy with commuter traffic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts