Best 'spray' for caravan towing electrics?

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good spray lube / contact spray to keep my towing electrical socket in good working order? I understand that some are better than others as they can degrade the plastic?

Many thanks

Chris

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any petroleum based item will degrade the plastic, make it swell, and is not a good idea.
Best is a good clean with Electrical Contact Cleaner and then a spray with silicone grease/lubricant.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I always used to use silicon grease for the back contacts, now i use Vaseline, i haven't noticed any swelling, but just try and keep it on the metal bits.
Then i spray silicon oil onto the contacts.
i once sprayed all the open contacts on a crane with contact cleaner, after that we had no end of poor contacts, i wasn't very popular, and have never used it since.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris,
As I recall some years ago John Wickersham recommended Tri-Flow in one of his caravan books. I've used it ever since on my towing electical sockets. It's good stuff!.
Regards,
Ron.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Any petroleum based item will degrade the plastic, make it swell, and is not a good idea.

I must check the plastic fuel tank and fuel hose connections on my wifes car.

Depends on the type of plastic, grade etc. PEEK for instance will not swell , neither will Delrins or most acetals including PU's. Some plastics may suffer from embrittlement.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Also silicon will attack some rubbers.
I found this out when the toilet sealing gasket swelled and distorted, due to the silicon grease i had used.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
RAY said:
I found this out when the toilet sealing gasket swelled and distorted, due to the silicon grease i had used.
Ray
Is Silicon grease similar to Silicon spray?
I use Thetford own Silicon spray on the toilet rubbers and branded silicon spray from my dealer on the locker box rubbers and awning rails.
Am I causing damage??
smiley-undecided.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never known silicon spray to cause damage to seals, but I also would never use grease on them either.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Dustydog said:
RAY said:
Ray
Is Silicon grease similar to Silicon spray?
I use Thetford own Silicon spray on the toilet rubbers and branded silicon spray from my dealer on the locker box rubbers and awning rails.
Am I causing damage??
smiley-undecided.gif

We used silicon grease to pack electrical junction boxes to make them water tight, it has a very high electrical resistance.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/silicone.htm

But it was the only thing i used on the toilet seal, so i know that was the problem.

I also used the silicon grease to pack the towing sockets, and covered the road light metal bits with it to rust proof mainly.
The type i used was in a tube, like toothpaste.

I have never had any problem with silicon spray, that i know of.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WD 40 is probably one of the worst things to use on electrics.
It is a water dispersant but is NOT a lubricant and after a very short time has evaporated, but it rots cable cores and attacks the kind of plastic used on caravans.
WD40 is , in reality, paraffin with a posh smell, nothing more

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with you Damian, it's awful stuff for towing sockets........not bad for getting sticker residue off windows though!
Ron.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts