Best time to buy? +general advice

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is that up to 6 years from new or from purchase? (dealer responsibility to repair I mean)
There is an alternative option which would be:
2021 model for £33.5k at a Coachman dealership

Is it normal to haggle when buying a used van? Or is the price the price?
If you don’t ask you won’t get. But do it nicely to try and build a relationship.

Reactions: redelf
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is that up to 6 years from new or from purchase? (dealer responsibility to repair I mean)

From date of delivery. In the first 30 days, you cna reject and get a full refund. After the first 30 days and within 6 months from date of delivery, you need to give the dealer one chance at a repair before rejecting. After the initial 6 months, it is is up to the consumer to prove that the fault existed at time of purchase and that applies to new or second hand.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site

Always haggle. Sometimes you don't get anything off but they may chuck some accessories into the deal rather than give a straight discount.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
£9k is a lot of depreciation in 2 years .... and a lot of repair money if anything did go wrong out of warranty, right? When I originally posted I'd done my maths wrong and thought it was £7k which for some reason didn't feel like a lot - but £9k feels like a big saving!

Depends how much you value the 'first owner' feeling.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If a Coachman fits the bill, I would still go to a dealer as close as possible. Possibly a Coachman franchise might be better, but not if they are not having a good relationship with the manufacturer. (This does happen). I would be more concerned with distance and choosing a dealer with a good reputation over a long time.

John

Reactions: Buckman and redelf
Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
If a Coachman fits the bill, I would still go to a dealer as close as possible. Possibly a Coachman franchise might be better, but not if they are not having a good relationship with the manufacturer. (This does happen). I would be more concerned with distance and choosing a dealer with a good reputation over a long time.

John
the dealer in question is less than an hour away from us - but even the nearest is over half an hour away so doesn't make that much difference

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
One train of thought is, with the 2022 model, you save some money, but you have the chance to see the damp reports, from the first two service reports. You could ask if it had any warranty claims, that is if the dealer is honest enough to tell you.
I replaced my 3 year old Coachman, for a new model Purley because of the bedroom layout, from an Island bed to a side bed.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
One train of thought is, with the 2022 model, you save some money, but you have the chance to see the damp reports, from the first two service reports. You could ask if it had any warranty claims, that is if the dealer is honest enough to tell you.
I replaced my 3 year old Coachman, for a new model Purley because of the bedroom layout, from an Island bed to a side bed.
Useful - thank you! Interestingly, we're going from a french bed to an island bed with end washroom. Hopefully it's the right choice for us!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our 545 had the end Island bed with mid bathroom, one problem was a flimsy curved shower door, the 560 that we have now has the rear bathroom and side bed..
Newer models has side ways on island beds, several people have mentioned about lack of walkway space when the bed is extended, not just Coachman either.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Our 545 had the end Island bed with mid bathroom, one problem was a flimsy curved shower door, the 560 that we have now has the rear bathroom and side bed..
Newer models has side ways on island beds, several people have mentioned about lack of walkway space when the bed is extended, not just Coachman either.
That’s why we’ve gone with the 8ft wide one - because the extra inches at the end of the bed make a difference

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As an add on, they shoudldalso request to see proof of annual damp service.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
So we’re going to see the 2022 coachman this morning and stupidly started reading some horror stories re their after service if damp is found. The motorhome went yesterday and we lost £6k off the original offer on that due to damp (they showed it to us so couldn’t argue) so I’m now a little paranoid (and definitely have to go 2nd hand and not new)
The guys who took our Bailey motorhome said we’re making a good choice with coachman, but I’ve realised that the swift elegance grande 845 is very similar in both layout and price. I am worried that we wouldn’t be buying the 875 from a coachman dealer for the 875 - it’s at Burton Caravan Centre - are they any good? As I mentioned , there is also an option buy a 2021 875 from a coachman dealer but the cost is about the same as the 2022 one.. that dealer is Spinney…
Are swifts better than coachman for after service if it’s needed? We will make sure we see the damp reports before buying…

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
So we’re going to see the 2022 coachman this morning and stupidly started reading some horror stories re their after service if damp is found. The motorhome went yesterday and we lost £6k off the original offer on that due to damp (they showed it to us so couldn’t argue) so I’m now a little paranoid (and definitely have to go 2nd hand and not new)
The guys who took our Bailey motorhome said we’re making a good choice with coachman, but I’ve realised that the swift elegance grande 845 is very similar in both layout and price. I am worried that we wouldn’t be buying the 875 from a coachman dealer for the 875 - it’s at Burton Caravan Centre - are they any good? As I mentioned , there is also an option buy a 2021 875 from a coachman dealer but the cost is about the same as the 2022 one.. that dealer is Spinney…
Are swifts better than coachman for after service if it’s needed? We will make sure we see the damp reports before buying…

FWWI our experience with Swift regarding warranty work has been very positive. In conjunction with our dealer Teesside Caravans there was never an issue getting work done under the three years manufacturers warranty. The dealer also spotted some things that needed doing that we hadn't noticed and arranged for these to be fixed through Swift themselves.

The 'van is six years old this year and thus far (touch wood) we haven't had to test the 10 year water ingress warranty.

None of these faults were major, bar one, mainly annoying things that broke. They were similar faults to what seem to plague all manufacturers.

Our previous Swift did need damp rectification at just 18 months old. That was sorted quickly by the previous dealer Kimberly Caravans.

Coachman have a good reputation but I can't comment from a personal point of view.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
FWWI our experience with Swift regarding warranty work has been very positive. In conjunction with our dealer Teesside Caravans there was never an issue getting work done under the three years manufacturers warranty. The dealer also spotted some things that needed doing that we hadn't noticed and arranged for these to be fixed through Swift themselves.

The 'van is six years old this year and thus far (touch wood) we haven't had to test the 10 year water ingress warranty.

None of these faults were major, bar one, mainly annoying things that broke. They were similar faults to what seem to plague all manufacturers.

Our previous Swift did need damp rectification at just 18 months old. That was sorted quickly by the previous dealer Kimberly Caravans.

Coachman have a good reputation but I can't comment from a personal point of view.
Thanks - appreciate you taking the time to reply 😊

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Red elf,
May I ask how long you expect to keep your chosen caravan?
Some change every three years or so, Others like me have purchased new yet 15 years on still have the same caravan. We are still trying to find a better or equivalent layout.
One of our Forumites actually wore his caravan out ,breaking it up and selling all the parts on the used market!
Have you and hubby towed before? If not I suggest you enrol on a CAMC towing course. Well worth the money and helps reduce caravan insurance premiums with some insurers.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Red elf,
May I ask how long you expect to keep your chosen caravan?
Some change every three years or so, Others like me have purchased new yet 15 years on still have the same caravan. We are still trying to find a better or equivalent layout.
One of our Forumites actually wore his caravan out ,breaking it up and selling all the parts on the used market!
Have you and hubby towed before? If not I suggest you enrol on a CAMC towing course. Well worth the money and helps reduce caravan insurance premiums with some insurers.
We had our motorhome for 8 years. Ideally we wouldn’t change it frequently - we’d like to keep it a long time.
Hubby has towed things before but not a caravan of this size as far as I know - he’s not concerned though. I don’t know why that is - ultimately I will leave it to him. I will look into the course though and might mention it - depends how brave I’m feeling!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We had our motorhome for 8 years. Ideally we wouldn’t change it frequently - we’d like to keep it a long time.
Hubby has towed things before but not a caravan of this size as far as I know - he’s not concerned though. I don’t know why that is - ultimately I will leave it to him. I will look into the course though and might mention it - depends how brave I’m feeling!
8 years👍. As money is no object I’d be inclined to go for brand new maximising my enjoyment of the guarantees and warranties .
As for towing an 8 m long, 8’ wide twin axle you need to appreciate you are pretty well the same length as an artic HGV. Cross winds and slip streams from some vehicles also trip you up .Reversing and manoeuvring into tight spots is a skill in itself.
The CAMC caravan towing courses are excellent and I do strongly suggest you both do the course . My wife did it many years ago and even I learnt a heck of a lot!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
And now I’ve ruled out the swift because it doesn’t have the self leveller - now looking at buccaneers
We have the 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser with AWD motor over etc. We have had hassles, but all sorted under warranty. There is a Buccaneer caravan Owners Group (Unofficial) on FB.

I doubt very much if you will find any caravan that does not have issues, but buying second hand and caravan has a service history that is recorded with the manufacturer, hopefully all issues have been sorted out.

Remember whatever you decide, I would recommend buying on HP even if it is a high deposit with low repayments. Any issues and the HP caravan have to fight your corner. Do not get misled by using a credit card as S75 probably will not apply however S75a could work. In addition there is also your other friend CRA 2015. (y) :)

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Regardless of who you buy it from get independant inspection. Don't trust dealers damp inspection report.

Check user payload capacity, won't take alot to reach 200kg if you've come from motorhome.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Regardless of who you buy it from get independant inspection. Don't trust dealers damp inspection report.

Check user payload capacity, won't take alot to reach 200kg if you've come from motorhome.
On our Cruiser increasing the MTPLM to 2000kg, by removing the table which never got used, changing to a Safefill gas bottle we increased the payload by another 20kg to the payload giving is a total payload of 234kg. (y)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On our Cruiser increasing the MTPLM to 2000kg, by removing the table which never got used, changing to a Safefill gas bottle we increased the payload by another 20kg to the payload giving is a total payload of 234kg. (y)
I take it that is after the self leveling which is standard on yours, the MM 's and the Aircon. Is that correct.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts