Best towing route from Wrexham to Abedaron for Bank Holiday w...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're off to Aberdaron on Lleyn peninsula this Saturday

(Bank Holiday weekend) Taking caravan from near Wrexham. We have an Avondale Landranger (long, twin axle) and Vauxhall Monterey (4x4). All the route planners suggest A5 to Betws-y-coed, then A470, then A487 to then A417 to Nefyn and then B4417 and B4413. However none of these planners now have a caravan towing option. I'm thinking of gradients, road width, room for other traffic to overtake, etc. We are quite experienced towers and the car has plenty of power for gradients but we don't want to hold up other traffic too much.

Does anyone have experience of this route or can they suggest a better one for towing. I had wondered about going up to Chester and taking the A55 or following A5 and then A487 via Caernarfon and then B4417 to Nefyn, etc.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy caravanning this weekend everyone.

Regards

Tim

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim, it seems as if you're asking the same sort of questions as me. The A470 around Dinas is very steep. I used a motorhome last year to go from East mids to Barmouth and spent most of the time in 2nd gear up the inclines. The road appears to be wide enough for passing although I must admit I didn't see any caravans being towed that way. I'm hoping my unit can make it (2.0 DTi Vectra & Bailey Pageant 2 berth)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim, it seems as if you're asking the same sort of questions as me. The A470 around Dinas is very steep. I used a motorhome last year to go from East mids to Barmouth and spent most of the time in 2nd gear up the inclines. The road appears to be wide enough for passing although I must admit I didn't see any caravans being towed that way. I'm hoping my unit can make it (2.0 DTi Vectra & Bailey Pageant 2 berth)
Hi Graham

Thanks for your reply. We've just got back and so I thought I'd answer my own question from our recent experiences. To get from Wrexham to Aberdaron we took the following route.

A483 Wrexham to A5

A5 to Betwys Coed

A470 to Blaenau Festiniog

A496/A487 to Porthmadog

A497 to Pwhllheli

A499 to Llanbedrog

B4713 to Aberdaron

Generally an excellent route, despite lengthy Avondale Landranger!! Beautiful scenery all the way, apart from slate tips of Blaenau. Roads all had sufficient width with plenty of opportunities to be overtaken and numerous laybys large enough for car and caravan. The upward gradients just before Blaneau Festiniog were very steep but we coped. Long queues across the "cob" into Poethmadog but it was Bank Holiday Saturday! The roads at the western end of the Lleyn Peninsula around Aberdaron were VERY narrow but not too busy.

Mynydd Mawr site at end of peninsula, overlooking Bardsey Island, was lovely with stupendous coastal views and easy walks from the campsite.

On the way home we travelled via B4417 via Nefyn to A499 & A487 to Caernarfon and then A55 & M56 home to Merseyside.

I would NOT recommend the B4417. It was very bendy and narrow and we almost got stuck in Nefyn with parked and oncoming traffic. Once we reached the A55 it was great and we travelled home at top speed.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts