best type wheel clamps?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 20, 2017
Visit site
I bought a wheel clamp yesterday and it won't fit due to the motor mover being too close to the wheel, has anyone else had this problem? and is there a way around it?

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Voyager, the AlKo one designed for your van (should have the receivers fitted on your model and age) will fit regardless of the motor mover position.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Voyager, the AlKo one designed for your van (should have the receivers fitted on your model and age) will fit regardless of the motor mover position.

Also an AL-KO one won't fit when the tyre valve happens to be in the wrong place. :evil: Been there. done it. :whistle:

May 20, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Voyager, what type of wheel clamp have you bought, lots of different ones onthe market.
A Maypole universal wheel clamp, for 13 to 17 inch wheels, my wheels are 14's.
I cant fit it on the N/side wheel, but I can get it on the offside wheel, but the "Stop" is at the back of the wheel and it should be at the front. :angry:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Voyager, i would just fit it to the offside, doesn't really matter what side , its a visual deterent, an angle grinder will be through it in a minute.
Hutch.

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Thanks for that, I have looked between the wheel spokes and can see a steel tube, with a plastic bung in the end, is this what you mean, by receivers? and have you any idea where I can get the proper Alko one from? I would much rather have the proper part.
Thanks. :cheer:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats the reciever, the " lozenge" can be bought new at a big cost from Alko, but if you look on Ebay theycan be found second hand. But make sure they are de registered, then when you buy one you have to register it with Alko other wise if you loose your keys, it a hassle to unlock the thing.
They come in many sizes , go to alkos website and search for your caravan. To find the size.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I bought a complete Alko Secure from a member on the C&MH classifieds. It was a good price and had been registered so I knew that I could then register it and re-use the barrel lock and securing bolt and its drive- in adaptor. But it was from a Bailey wheel so I knew that the lozenge wouldn't fit my wheels. So then I went looking for the correct lozenge for my specific wheels. I bought that from a local Swift dealer (used). That lozenge came without any internals (lock/bolt etc). So I just used the bits from the first one that I bought and then advertised the "empty Bailey lozenge" in C&MHC classifieds and Ebay. Total cost of the whole package was £73 including the postage to send the unrequired lozenge to its buyer.

But it really is like roulette with the Alko lozenge is a bit like roulette as most times we arrive home (like today) the wheel's inflation valve stem is right where lined up with the Alko receiver and our drive doesn't allow much leeway t on fore and aft movement. But once its on the caravan won't be going any where fast!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The easiest route without having to de register etc is to get one from ALKO or your dealer can order for you. There will be a specific lock that fits your van so you will be asked for make, model and year. All very straightforward. Good idea to keep the motor mover engaged until lock fitted as you will need to make sure you're lined up properly.

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Martin24 said:
The easiest route without having to de register etc is to get one from ALKO or your dealer can order for you. There will be a specific lock that fits your van so you will be asked for make, model and year. All very straightforward. Good idea to keep the motor mover engaged until lock fitted as you will need to make sure you're lined up properly.
I have sorted out the right one now, it is lozenge kit number two, for my van.
Aint they dear? Will have to wait for Christmas.

Thanks all for your input.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Just to revisit this topic, do most of you use a wheel clamp/lock and a hitch lock or just the wheel lock alone?

I have the alko wheel lock on my new swift and can’t decide if there is any merit in using a hitch lock too, insurance only specify the alko wheel lock.

Many thanks

Kevin

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Use Alko wheelock and Alko hitch look when at home. But hitchlock and a lightweight wheel lock when touring. Find the Alko wheel lock tricky to fit in some situations. My insurer only asks for hitch and wheel lock and I’ve not sought the discount specific to the Alko wheel lock. So I’m not infringing my terms by not using it when touring.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Always put on the hitch lock, my insurance c&MC state wheel lock as well , so on site if I cant position the Alko lock then an gold secure lock. All allowed by the insurance co,.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Insurance says one of each so that's what we do. Easy to align the wheel lock if you have a motor mover.

Agreed it is easy when the van's on the drive, but it can be difficult sometimes on pitches when you need to level the van sideways either with the car or a mover, and I draw the line when it comes to jacking up the caravan to fit the Alko. The Nemsis Ultra one whilst perhaps not quite so secure as the Alko does have the advantage when travelling of being easy to fit. The Alko however is Diamond standard, whilst the Nemesis is Thatcham 3.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
Martin24 said:
Insurance says one of each so that's what we do. Easy to align the wheel lock if you have a motor mover.

Agreed it is easy when the van's on the drive, but it can be difficult sometimes on pitches when you need to level the van sideways either with the car or a mover, and I draw the line when it comes to jacking up the caravan to fit the Alko. The Nemsis Ultra one whilst perhaps not quite so secure as the Alko does have the advantage when travelling of being easy to fit. The Alko however is Diamond standard, whilst the Nemesis is Thatcham 3.

Clive, we do the lining up of the AlKo fit that and then do the side to side using Millenco aluminium levellers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Martin24 said:
Clive, we do the lining up of the AlKo fit that and then do the side to side using Millenco aluminium levellers.

Ditto

Years ago I had a Dixon Bates leveller but it was a nightmare. Heavy steel fabrication, little if any mechanical advantage on the screw, wasn’t stable on grass/uneven pitches and seemed to distort the tyre. So I didn’t use it for very long at all before selling it. Guess things have moved on a bit. But do the Milenco go into soft ground.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes they do, I tried putting down a 2ft peice of wood underneath to support it. Also found that its a but cumbersome. As you say it deformes the tyre as well, Dont use mine any more, must put it on Flea bay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts