best type wheel clamps?

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
hi guys...

was wondering what type wheel lamp/locks are best to get?

i dont want a silly expensive 1...

i have been looking at the over the wheel type clamps.

any advice much appreciated.

thanks,H

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
i have just been looking and seen these alko wheel locks...

would my caravan have the receiver bit already in place?

its a 2008 bailey ranger s5 540/6

thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If your caravan has the Alko wheel lock receiver fitted it will look like the one in the picture H
Fitted-wheel-lock-2-_zpsafylaiyz.jpg

If you haven't yet done so it's advisable to insure your caravan. The insurance policy will stipulate what security measures have to be use to comply with the terms of your agreement.
My insurance policy insists that wheel clamps are fitted when the caravan is unattended but it does not recommend any particular type , it's a twin axle caravan so I use two fairly lightweight wheel clamps.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Alko wheel locks for us. They're an approved device for our insurance, as is the hitchlock.
Both have to be on when the 'van is at home or on site.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Im with the CC insurance and they only stipulate wheel and hitch locks but not any specific device. Although using the Alko Secure does give a 15% discount on the policy. However you would have to use it in store and on site in order not to invalidate your policy should the van be stolen. I am considering the Alko Secure for my next caravan but would only use it on site if its reasonably feasible. I have seen some owners having to jack their caravans up in order to align the Alko Secure with its receiver. That doesn't strike me as particularly good, so if I were to get one I would not declare it to the insurer in order to elicit discount, but use it at my discretion.

With my last van when stored I used Bulldog Titan on one wheel and a Bulldog QD44 on the other. An Alko hitchcock and two steady locks. Touring I used the QD44, Alko hitchlock and a steady lock. When stopped at services we try never to leave the caravan unattended but would use the Alko hitchlock to the coupled outfit but remove it when towing.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately clamps don't ensure security. Picture below are the couple of clamps that were removed from a friends son's van outside their bungalow. They were on holiday with us in their own van and son for convenience had parked in their 'space' as he was in process of moving home. They live in a very friendly neighbourhood and folks look after one another, and the van was in full view of neighbours and houses opposite. But no one saw or heard a thing. Perhaps not the strongest of clamps in the world but obviously removed fairly easily. The clamps were photographed exactly where they were left by the thieves -- tidy weren't they?
Clamps_zpsd2pgfozc.jpg

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
thanks for replies...

caravan is already insured to commence from when i collect and they did want a wheel lock, but as said above, no specific type mentioned.

ilwill look to see if i have the reciever fitted, if so i may look on bay fir the correct lock..

if not i have seen some street wise locks i think they are called at a reasonable price.

i know if they want it they will get it, more of a deterant and also to comply with ins request

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion if the ALKO cannot be used would be the Nemisis. It fits all wheel sizes and is extremely robust. No clamp is impregnable except perhaps the concrete filled Milenco but the weight means it is no use for touring. The best ones are graded Sold Secure Gold.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
My suggestion if the ALKO cannot be used would be the Nemisis. It fits all wheel sizes and is extremely robust. No clamp is impregnable except perhaps the concrete filled Milenco but the weight means it is no use for touring. The best ones are graded Sold Secure Gold.

The Bulldog Titan are Sold Secure Gold and so after seeing your pictures I will be buying the Alko Secure for storage at home and use on site when it can be lined up without jacking the caravan. In such an event that the Alko Secure cannot be lined up, I will also be carrying a wheel clamp that can be fitted more easily. Although I note that several of the U-type clamps that fit over wheel nut and then loop behind the wheel are only Silver standard. But as in all things there are choices and decisions which eventually lead to some compromises.

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Is the SAS wheel clamp type any good? the 1 that goes over the wheel bolt and round back, tighten up with alan key then put the lock in?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have just bought an Alko Secure with all parts VGC and it's been properly de-registered. The kit and an ex Bailey lozenge came from Gloucestershire and the lozenge for my caravan came from Hants. I now have a spare Bailey type lozenge to sell at some point. Total cost £100 and a drop of dieso.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When touring and cant fit the ALKO wheel lock I fit a SAS wheel clamp very easy to use. But a portable Cutting disc would go through it fairy quicky I am sure , but hopefully someone would ask whats going on.
Hutch

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
When touring and cant fit the ALKO wheel lock I fit a SAS wheel clamp very easy to use. But a portable Cutting disc would go through it fairy quicky I am sure , but hopefully someone would ask whats going on.
Hutch

Pick the most likely answer to an innocent enquiry by a concerned caravan owner:

a) Well I bought this caravan from a bloke in the pub and he said, just take it.

b) I've lost the key to the lock.

c) eff off and keep yer nose out

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
KeefySher said:
EH52ARH said:
Hutch

Pick the most likely answer to an innocent enquiry by a concerned caravan owner:

a) Well I bought this caravan from a bloke in the pub and he said, just take it.

b) I've lost the key to the lock.

c) eff off and keep yer nose out

:evil: :evil: :evil:
And the most likely response, at least from me if I saw somebody disabling a wheelclamp without the key would be to use my mobile phone to contact the police :evil:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt a thief would want to try to disable a wheel clamp on a busy site in most cases. That type of action is usually in quiet locations like storage areas and possibly owners homes where in many cases they can work unseen.
Basically on site thieves would be looking for the insecure caravans although there are always exceptions.

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
hi guys, i picked the caravan up today and one of the first things i did was look to see if it has the receiver...and IT DOES...happy days...

Now i have looked on teh alko website but for some reason when following the bit on there, it wont list my model! im trying to find out what wheel lock number i would need, then could try and find one on ebay etc.

also i still have the lil silver sticker on, so i would need a specific type adapter to unscrew the grub screw wont i?

thanks,H

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
HNB, as your van has the receving "bit" check out Alkos website and try and find a slightly smaller sized one on flea bay, it will make fitting the alko clamp easieras you will have a few inches back and forwards to play with.
Or buy the Purpile line Excaliber, I think this fits into the reciever, but please check up before buying.
Hutch.

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
i think i would like to stick with the alko type, but i dont get why it doesnt show the 540/6 on the model list, but shows the 550/6, which when i click on that looks to have same alloys as mine.

but it does not list what insert number it needs...so how can i find this out?

thanks

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
well after speaking with alko...they have confirmed they dont list my model, but from what iv said etc, it looks like it is insert no1.

but they are not produced, so he said go on ebay...

so i need to find insert no1,...with registration card thats been deregisted...

and once i register it, they will send me out the lil tool to undo that screw

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Try the Caravan Club classifieds too that where I got mine from and members seem willing to de register the locks whereas few Ebay sellers were bothered. There a No 1 lozenge and looks like everything else on Gumtree posted 6 days ago.

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
otherclive said:
Try the Caravan Club classifieds too that where I got mine from and members seem willing to de register the locks whereas few Ebay sellers were bothered. There a No 1 lozenge and looks like everything else on Gumtree posted 6 days ago.

thanks, there is 2 on gumtree, both £60, iv messaged them both.

will also check out the classified ad on here...thanks again

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
finally got it fitted after getting it and then contacting alko to get the lil key.

must say very easy to fit.

can sleep better knowing its more secure.

thanks for all replies

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts