Best way to get caravan onto curved pavement with mover.

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi. Our runway is on a curve in the road. We have just changed our caravan and the new one has a mover. With the old van I would put the van one wheel on the pavement and one wheel on the road then with the help of my wife & daughter we could quite easily swing it round and push it into the runway. Tomorrow I will need to put the new van in the runway on my own. Will the mover be able to go up a curved kerb or would I be better to put the van half on the pavement as usual. The kerb is not high and it has been cemented like a ramp. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
If the kerb has been made like a ramp it might go up it using the mover Tom.
We had our kerb dropped but it's still a little high so I use wood to lessen the height. I also put the caravan on the drive A frame first which makes it easier to get up the kerb but harder for thieves to nick it.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
In my experience the answer is no.
My Reich mover will crab, unless there is a ramp on both wheels.
When i first tried to mount a 2" high flag stone on one side only the caravan would just crab.
The solution was to use a 1m long ramp, then it got up.
The long term solution was to lay a concrete ramp up to the flag.
Ok after that.
Maybe some movers lower geared would fair better?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do what you did by hand but using the mover. Don't approach straight on - come to it at an angle and get one caravan wheel up to the higher level first. Then straighten the van by turning it without moving forward - use both ' turning' controls on the mover by pressing the diagonally opposite buttons on the control, and hopefully he second wheel will climb the curb and there you are. Many people try to turn their van using just one button on the control, rather than the diagonally opposite ones. Although the single button technique appears to work, what you are actually doing is turning the van driving one wheel while the other wheel is effectively locked and thus just scrubbs.

If this sounds difficult, just try it on a flat piece of ground. First use just one button to tun the van and then use the diagaonally opposite pair and see the difference. This is how it works for the Powrtouch mover - I have no direct experience of others but guess they must be much the same.

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions. I put a plank of wood along kerb and kept the van on the road and turned it round until both wheels were lined up straight on the plank and it went up fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts