Best way to get wifi

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Ok I know-don't but we sometimes can go away and SWMBO can work in the van-as long as she has decent wifi; thing is this is so variable-we paid for a site's wifi only to find the signal where we were wasn't very good.
We have a friend who has an external aerial and little router in the van that picks up the site wifi BUt given how some sites have such slow connections am looking a little mifi boxes- ie you insert a sim card (data only) and away you go-anyone any idea how good these are at 'grabbing ' the mobile phone signal-do they need an extra aerial too?

Also can you get a sim only data card that is pay as you go-we only need it very occasionally and don't want a contract-nor do we want it to run out?
ANyone out there got the perfect answer?

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I installed a MiFi aerial on our caravan which feeds a router fitted with a 3 network prepay SIM card.

It allows me to work on my computer provided there is a mobile phone signal. So far we have only found one site where there was no signal.

I wrote an article about the installation, but there are companies that will do the work for you, albeit at much greater cost.

I hope it is of use to you.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Brilliant; just what I needed and thank you so much-seems to be the route to take-I won t fit a permanent aerial to the roof I don't think but may well get an aerial that I can pop out of the rooflight or attach by sucker to the side of the caravan-or maybe into the awning rail-but your article is just what I needed-THANKYOU- great website enjoyed reading the other articles too!

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
There are certainly a variety of aerial available, some for temporary fixing as you say.

Something that I have seen mentioned, but have yet to try is to carry data SIM cards from several different companies so as to ensure coverage.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
There are certainly a variety of aerial available, some for temporary fixing as you say.

Something that I have seen mentioned, but have yet to try is to carry data SIM cards from several different companies so as to ensure coverage.

I would agree with that. It never ceases to amaze me how many people say 'there was no cellular coverage at xyz' - maybe not on their SP but there are four of them so you might stand a chance with another.
Incidentally, a PAYG SIM will usually require a £10 top-up, but if you want less try a PayPoint. Some of them will let you top-up a fiver if you wish.

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
We use a Haweiaei, or however you spell it, Mifi unit with either a Three sim pay as you go for Europe , or an O2 data only sim in the Uk. Both connect to phone or tablets.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Think that is the route(r!!!) we'll go -it's just the fact that payg sims can run out but think there are options now that don't.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Olivegrower said:
We use a Haweiaei, or however you spell it, Mifi unit with either a Three sim pay as you go for Europe , or an O2 data only sim in the Uk. Both connect to phone or tablets.

Just think of it as 'who are we' - Huawei - and whatever the media might like you to think they are insecure their products it has to be said are some of the best and best value for money of anything on the market. You get the full basic Android with little added manufacturer apps, all of the internal functions work (how many manufacturers don't allow you access to the compass that phone has?) and the camera is as good as most and better than many.
Apple - I wouldn't have one if you gave it me, and having had a Samsung (they catch fire don't they?) I wouldn't want another of them either!

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I have just seen an advert for Falcon Technology's solution to the mobile wifi problem. It caught my eye because it seems to use the same kit that I have installed in my caravan as outlined in an earlier post.

https://www.falcontechnology.co.uk/product/4g-mobile-broadband-internet-with-mimo-roof-antenna-for-motorhomes-and-caravans/

Whilst quite expensive it may appeal to those that would prefer to have a professional installation.

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
For a number of years I have used a TP-Link MiFi. Popped inside the kitchen roof light and powered from our Microwave socket it has worked perfectly. I look on line before booking to see who has the best signal at the site. Then using an Android app I ascertain the location of the nearest tower. Obviously, not all companies cover all parts of the country, therefore I buy the appropriate sim for the site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use an iBoost Pro D8 system. It boost the WiFi signal of a campsite. If the router is in the office then it is no use but, if the campsite has the odd antenna around, it will boost the signal sufficiently to give you access. Currently in Sicily and using it as I type - not sure I can mention the company but if you google it, you will find it.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
That is fine where there is a WiFi signal to amplify, but the O.P. was about using the mobile phone data network where a wifi was not usable. The company you referred to, Motorhome WiFi can supply equipment for both requirements.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bob_5041432 said:
I use an iBoost Pro D8 system. It boost the WiFi signal of a campsite. If the router is in the office then it is no use but, if the campsite has the odd antenna around, it will boost the signal sufficiently to give you access. Currently in Sicily and using it as I type - not sure I can mention the company but if you google it, you will find it.

The forum rules/etiquette allow for the names of companies to be used but not if there’s a dispute in being. Have a read of the guidance it makes the do’s and dont’s clear.

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
When there was no O2 signal on our site i used one of these
Ebay item 183936809290

£7 gives you 2 gig that lasts 30 days, or spend more money for more data but the 2 gig did me

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We are all over the country and therefore have different mobile providers for our phones. we also have a mobile router, Huawai on 3 network. We can always get one to connect. Originally we paid £10 a month for 2 gig. Because we have been with them for some years we now pay £9 a month for 20 gig. When choosing providers remember that many providers use the same poles. So plus net, BT and EE are the same company, vodaphone and talk mobile use the same poles. The mobile routers aren't good for streaming video but good for browsing the internet etc. By the way google earth uses a lot of data so go carefully on mobiles.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Waffler............any Insights into Sorento KX3 ownership?
What year is yours?

..................sorry to be off topic :whistle:
Best to open a new thread on the Towcar message board Bill, this is way too far off topic and it would be discourteous to hijack this thread to such an extent.

Reactions: Johnb
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think one needs to be very careful of appliances that can boost a mobile signal for a mifi unit. These units mentioned may be illegal unless you have a licence to transmit a mobile signal. The chances of being caught are probably very low but if your transmission interferes with another apparatus the fine is quite high. I only found this out as we were looking for something to boost the signal for our mifi unit in fringe areas. A signal is omnidirectional.
We are still looking for a suitable system that is relatively easy to install and can connect to our Three mifi whether by cable or local wifi through the router in the caravan. As things are moving towards 5G may be better to wait as the 5g should cover those lower down the spectrum.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
I'm surprised no-one has suggested tendering to the mobile phone. No need to spend out on a mifi unit and card, especially if this just for occasional use. I work from the van at times and it works fine.

Just make sure your contract allows tethering.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Still haven't pulled the trigger on anything as though I would try the above-worked superbly well -tethered teh phone to the laptop so swmbo could watch her beloved Wolves-full match watch pretty much without too much buffering and just over 1gb data used-may be enough for the time being !

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Although we pay a monthly contract, we pay sim only, and own our phones. Having home broadband with BT has given us access to some excellent sim only deals via the Halo service. Currently I pay £20 pcm for unlimited data, which although BT is actually EE and the fastest currently in the UK. At that price its also 5g which I have tried where available and is exceptionally fast. However, with unlimited data, we use my phone as a wifi hotspot or tether it USB and is more than strong enough to stream movies in HD. We find that we have a signal on most sites and the whole thing works very well. On the same service, my wife has her data doubled and gets 160gb of data pcm.

As for speed, on Bunree last year, we were getting speeds of around 24mbps, which is very good for that type of service. Using it as a wifi hotspot, my wife uses the data and saves her own. Cant fault BT, they have been brilliant.

As for the phone, I got an excellent deal via Samsung UK, direct. £200 off in the xmas sale and £200 trade in for my old Galaxy S7. I now have the Note 10 Plus 5g, that only actually cost me £699 with the deals.

Just to add, we can also cast Netflix direct to the caravan TV along with Amazon Prime Video.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts