Best way to pay in France?

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We are going to France for the first time this year,what is the best way to take our spending money?is it best to use credit card,debit card,cash or other?thanks again in advance

Andrew.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You can use your debit card to withdraw cash from ATMs or pay at supermarkets, almost anywhere in France now, and most people recommend opening a Nationwide Flex account as this has no fees for use in Europe(as, I think, does the Post Office). We always take an amount in Euros to see us through the first few days - and then just make cash withdrawals for day to day spending. We tend to put petrol on the credit card and then pay it off when we arrive home. This year the cost of fuel will have risen significantly, but somehow putting off actually paying for it after you arrive home makes it seem easier!

We also tend to avoid toll roads as the costs for these can mount up to a significant amount if you're making a long journey. We've worked out our own route which are largely toll-free, although we do hop on and off for short stretches through boring or congested parts.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi andrew

We opened a nataionwide bank and credit card.

There are no charges for using them abroad so you get a better rate.

We still take our lloyds though just incase, but never use it they charge per transaction. A big rip off.

There are not many who don't charge but its the first question to ask.

G

Always take some cash as you never know when things will go wrong. All you need is some crazy ATM to swallow your card and your are in deep s..t. Do not pay any restaurant bill by card as you will get a poor exchange rate and they may even bill you in pounds at source. Remember every time you use your card at a retail establishment you run a risk of it being cloned, and your account emptied before you get home. Filling stations are not exempt from this, even here in the UK.

Personally I take cash from the ATM and use only that for spending. You know what you have spent and no shocks when you get home. Have more than one card for cash access as back up. I keep credit cards for emergency use only and have Amex charge card as the fall back card as you can get cash from their offices. It also allows you to get air fares if you have to come home for emergencies.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
We've just spent 8 months in France and Spain, I use Nationwide flex account debit card, and I've got a NW credit card and a Post Office credit card which have been set up to pay off the outstanding amounts immediately from my normal bank by direct debit. I've got a Nationwide e savings account so I can transfer funds easily to the flex account by internet banking, and I've got internet banking with all my other bank accounts in case I need to transfer funds. Its easy, get a laptop to take with you and you can keep an eye on things whist you are away, but if you're only going for a few weeks just transfer enough to your flex account and use the credit cards.

Have a nice time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too use the Nationwide debit card / flex account for cash and a Nationwide credit card for purchases in store and filling stations.

NW have just introduced a hand held gizmo that "you may need for some types of transaction" - but they won't say which, so I suppose this is yet another thing we have to take and try not to loose.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
My daughter has one of these gismos. Huh. We don't she has used it, she also uses it for her online banking son't know much more than that, Were still waiting for ours.

TRENDING THREADS