Best way to pay tolls

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We are heading South through France this summer. It will involve toll roads. What is the best way to pay. Do they take GB Credit/Debit cards? Is the tag thing worth it if only going for a fortnight? Should we take a selection of euros in notes and coins for the purpose.
Thanks in advance
mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
99% take UK credit cards and issue a receipt ...... no Pin number is required...... never bothered with a tag myself as we avoid toll roads if we can unless they cut out large unmanageable conurbations that we need to bypass.
We always have cash just in case!
The tag does cut out the need for the front seat passenger to take charge of making the payment......leaning out of the window to reach the machine can be interesting if the driver makes a hash of stopping in the right place! Don't use the right hand lanes as lorries who have tags, will be thundering through these without stopping!
These right hand lanes are only for tag payment.
Most of the other lanes will accept tags, credit cards, debit cards or cash.
Some lanes usually on the left may have height restrictions, so beware if towing a caravan.

Reactions: Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
99% take UK credit cards and issue a receipt ...... no Pin number is required...... never bothered with a tag myself as we avoid toll roads if we can unless they cut out large unmanageable conurbations that we need to bypass.
We always have cash just in case!
The tag does cut out the need for the front seat passenger to take charge of making the payment......leaning out of the window to reach the machine can be interesting if the driver makes a hash of stopping in the right place! Don't use the right hand lanes as lorries who have tags, will be thundering through these without stopping!
These right hand lanes are only for tag payment.
Most of the other lanes will accept tags, credit cards, debit cards or cash.
Some lanes usually on the left may have height restrictions, so beware if towing a caravan.
We have had no problem paying with UK cards. But as said above if the outfit isn’t well positioned it can require the passenger to get out which can be easier said than done. So our preferred method was for my wife to use notes paid into the manned cash desk where two arms normally managed to span the gap left by my poor positioning. However on some toll exits into rural roads there may not be a manned kiosk so card or tag are required unless you want to feed cash into the machine.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The paying is my least concern, we use a credit card, it is those caravan destroying concrete plinths that put the fear into me as my loved one keeps saying pull closer, closer!
You must have seen the vans with duct-taped left front bottom corner?

Maybe, in itself a reason to get a TAG, probably best sooner than later.

Gone are the days it was easy to hand the manned kiosk lady the card in a chopped down child's fishing net whilst positioned well off the plinths.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Go for the TAG, it saves so much time, and as JTQ says you can stay in the middle of the toll gate. You are charged a month after you use it, and they average out the exchange rate had ours over 8 years now. When you give the tag back you get your deposits back for the tag.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Definitely go for the TAG. The only time I have had any concern, was when going through the toll that lets you drive at 30kph and worrying it hadn't picked up the signal, only for the barrier to rise at the last minute :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Maslen and Mel
Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
Another vote for the TAG - it's so easy and for the little fee that comes associated with using it, it comes down to whether you are prepared to pay a few € for a hassle free experience.

For us, avoiding the queues at busy tolls by using the dedicated lanes justified the subscription alone, not only saving some time, but also our sanity on the really long journey with 3 kids in the back!!!

Reactions: Happy-Lappy and Mel
Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Yep, we got a SANEF tag. Saves the Mrs no end of grief leaning out to put card or cash in. I also have a tendency to race away the minute the barrier raises, scared its going to crash down on the 'van if i leave it too long. So i was often leaving her grasping for the change in mid air.:LOL:
One thing though, because of the length of my bonnet, i have to practically nudge the barrier to get the windscreen in range!

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
Got the tag also, so easy to use don't even have to stop at some tolls and beeps when its accepted.
Had an issue once when it failed to read so took a ticket but email SANEF and they sorted it and refunded the toll. Works great on the 30kph lane as barrier opens before you are near it.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to all. I am many wonderful things, but tall isn’t one of them. Some would even call me short. :):) So having gone through the M6 toll recently and had to almost climb out of the window to dab my card; a tag seems the way to go.
mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think it would be a good idea. So easy, just don't go fo the height restrictected ones . Normally left. With Dutch caravanners, with Dangally roof bits.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Next silly question. Is there a weight limit for the outfit? Mine goes 4.25 tonnes.
The tow vehicle should be less than 3.5 tonnes, and the caravan no more than 3 metres high

Reactions: chrisbee1
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Beware of the cost. Alarm bells rang when you said your weight! I've used them for years but with just a caravan or solo.
See chart. autoroute.png

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
with a new SANEF tag or one that has not been used for a while be prepared for a delay of up to 20 seconds once stopped at the barrier with a red light. It will seem much longer.
Make a note of all the numbers on the tag on aostcard and keep in the glove box. If barrier fails to rise you can use the phone built in to the kiosk but they will want all these numbers

May 12, 2015
www.gocampfrance.co.uk
We've had a tag for a few years now and wouldn't go back. It's so much easier having one and more often than not quicker as well. But it does depend upon whether you are planning on going in subsequent years as you will be charged a yearly fee for having one. If you are only going once then i would stick to using credit card/cash.
SANEF are now EMOVIS
Take a look at this on driving on toll roads.

Reactions: Maslen
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have a Tag for Barton- Upon -Humber towing the caravan when heading to Filey you just go straight through.
Some Years Ago we had a Exemption Card for M6 Toll it use to last for 4 years and when going to our Seasonal Caravan near Shrewsbury we found it was great .

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We got one from ATMB when they were being given away (free?) last year but haven't had chance to use it yet. The service charge is €1.90 (paid once) for every calendar month in which you use it with the toll fee on top, but there is no service charge if you use it three times or more in any one month. I have a faint recollection that they work in Spain as well.
Incidentally thanks for the reminder. I have just been to look for it and I can't find where I have secreted the darned thing!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts