Best way to pay tolls

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
What do these Tags look like and where do you put them, I assume on the screen? They do seem expensive, but I also know what the concrete bollards are like on the French tolls and my wife has short arms! I often have to get out and go round the front of the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you can avoid the admin charges through CAMC. You are charged an admin fee for the first month in each year you use the tag, the 20 euro charge is refunded when you send the tag back. The website indicates when you need to exchange the tag as the battery ages, usually around 3 years from first use.
As well as speeding up paying, it speeds up tentry as passenger does not have to take a ticket on entry and then keep it somewhere safe, remember which way to put it into the exit machine.
Charges are quite high but roads are much better and allow stress reduced driving. We’ve been using tag for 5 years or more and will probably continue to do so if we’re still cpable of driving when the restrictions are lifted

Reactions: Hutch
May 17, 2020
Visit site
Definitely go for the TAG. The only time I have had any concern, was when going through the toll that lets you drive at 30kph and worrying it hadn't picked up the signal, only for the barrier to rise at the last minute :eek:

I know that feeling!

Also watch the French drivers behind who actually leave space, I assume they are thinking ‘Look at ze stupid Englishman driving through ze TAG booth!’

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The Tag is great, the battery last for 5 years and they tell you when you need to replace the tag, Some folk like not to use the Peage routes because of the costs, I tried the side routes a couple of times, and after taking about 2 hours extra and using more fuel because of the village roundabouts, decided we would rather pay the toll fees.

Reactions: Maslen
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Tag is great, the battery last for 5 years and they tell you when you need to replace the tag, Some folk like not to use the Peage routes because of the costs, I tried the side routes a couple of times, and after taking about 2 hours extra and using more fuel because of the village roundabouts, decided we would rather pay the toll fees.
I’m with Hutch as on one occasion we chose a RN but it had long stretches of two lane road. Sat following a long line of heavy goods vehicles and the never ending ups and downs of speed limits persuaded us to break off and rejoin the autoroute. It’s by far the best if you need to knock off the miles but the other routes can be very nice if you are doing a more leisurely journey.

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It possibly depends how many tolls you will pass. If it is one out and one back I would not bother and use a credit card. If you are passing a few then the tag is probably worthwhile. At two in and out you will probably have to decide if getting the tag is worthwhile. There is not a lot of effort either way.
The costs can be pretty formidable if you are traveling long distances, so I would not go for cash. The alternate roads can be very crowded in some areas and will be a lot slower. I think grimace and bear it is probably the best way of approaching the costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beachball

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you. We will be passing precisely zero tolls. We were going to France in June, now clearly not. Never mind the advice will be helpful for the future.
Mel

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the ATMB one we got it free a couple of years ago. It is brilliant and has saved me a lot of aggro from the missus, and a lot of time. Its great when you come to a busy toll and see queues of cars. You just get into the T or 30km lane and sail through.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts