Beware when changing IPs

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SWMBO had a cold canvas call from the great British telephone company before xmas telling her they were the best with free this and free that. She wasn't happy with the original IP so agreed to move. It took weeks to get the Mac number and then the transfer dates were messed up between the two companies.
She discovered yesterday that we had incurred £170.00 of phone bills because the new boys British ?? started her new account 4 weeks later and on a totally different scheme to that she was promised. Three hours on the phone got her nowhere .
We are not paying the bill and will take this so called great British company to the small claims court for mis selling and fraudulent billing. If we have to change IP again I can see another disaster trying to get a new Mac number!!

Personally I am dead against telephone sales and cold call sales but SWMBO said teh deal was too good to miss and it was our dear old GPO after all. Never again
smiley-yell.gif

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
Had a cold telephone call, was persuaded to change my ASP.
Then I realised that we might still be tied to a contract with my presnt IP. I phoned up to check .... yes, contact runs till May.
Tried to contact the cold caller (I took her name and number) and got an irrelevent recorded message. At which point I handed it over to my wife. She worked out that the CC was a partner of BT, so phoned them. They knew what was going on .... said we would receive some documents to sign, and we had 14 days to cancel the agreement.
Was the CC aware that this situation might arise? Did she care?
Although we have been with our present IP for about 10 years, as the end of a contract looms, they phone me and offer a better or cheaper deal, and we get tied in for another 12 to 18 months.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i hate cold callers, they do my b****y head in, with any of the tv / internet / telephone companies i listen to them waffle on then tell them if they will buy me out of my contract that has x amount of months left to run and beat my current price with a better service i will swap, 99% of the time they appolgise and hang up having realised they are wasting their time.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
swapping MACs is a nightmmare. However ,, its much easier to cancel your current contract , set up a google mail account and go to you nearesr maccydees and llog on to the cloud. Its free. Just sitting in the car park will pick up the signa.

Then you have time to set a new ISP account with whoever you choose.

When i moved house last August i should have done the above but i was with Tiscali now Talk Talk. To move the service which also included my phone and line rental was a disaster. They got it totally wrong, charged me when they hould not have. The problem arose because they opened a new account on Talk Talk because Tiscali no longer exists apart for the domain name. The problem wqs they did not cancle the Tiscali account and kept charging me for that while charging for the Talk Talk account. They also had to give me new phone number as i moved STD code area.

I was paying my new account and the old house account. I was told my 2 IP insiders that the best option is always to cancel existing accounts and open a new one and jst have some inconvenience for a couple of weeks.
They did refund all the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts